Thee Oh Sees

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zakyfarms, May 1, 2009.

1. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane. Thread Starter

Local SF band I think, I just got turned onto them, and am really digging their new LP Help. Nice & garagey, tons of reverb, a bit of attitude, right up my alley! Looks like they're playing lots of local shows, I'll have to go check them out.

Any fans out there?

http://www.myspace.com/ohsees

Sean, bzfgt, polchik and 1 other person like this.
  2. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

they've been around for a few years but seem to be upping their profile lately. It's John Dwyer (formerly of Coachwhips) band.

3. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

Saw them in Austin and they were very good.

4. StirBlues

StirBlues Forum Resident

Thanks zaky, I like their sound, maybe I'll truck down to Sf for one of those dates...

5. zakyfarms

Let me know if you do, maybe I'll join you!

6. zakyfarms

Opening up for Yo La Tengo at the Fillmore tonight.

7. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Great Great Band , very original
    Lo Fi garage band WITH songs ( just like the Black Lips in a more pop vein)
    Master Bedroom ... is my favorite album by them , check it out , the songs are better than on Help
    there is a new record coming out in June

Lightworker likes this.
  8. 200 Motels

200 Motels Forum Resident

This band is awesome. They are touring with Ty Segall, who is on fire right now. I love this bands sound. They sound original while also sounding like the 60's at the same time. They are amazing

Sean, A6mzero, polchik and 1 other person like this.
  9. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

The Segall/Oh Sees show is don't miss stuff. Ty Segall's lp this year is one of my favorites.

10. I think I am finally going to get around to seeing Ty Segall / Oh Sees next week in Atlanta. I've missed them both the last few times they have been around. Not this time, :).

Looking forward to it for sure!

11. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

they have a new album coming out soon , i can't catch up :)
    i saw them live last year and they were really great
    gonna catch Ty Segall in November

12. zakyfarms

I've seen them a few times since I started this thread, and as much as I like the albums, the live show is where it's at with this band. Of course, it helped to see them at this amazing venue: http://www.henrymiller.org/about/gallery/

Crackling with energy, tight and loose at the same time. Will be seeing them headlining shortly.

13. woody

woody Forum Resident

Ty Segall / Thee Oh Sees tonight in ATL. I'm very excited! Made the drive over today and just waiting for my friend to get home from work for the festivities to begin.

14. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

I was unfortunate or fortunate enough to hear their best song first ('Maria Stacks'). Everything I've heard by them since has been okay but a slight disappointment. But 'Maria Stacks' - WHAT a sound!

15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Hmm, I can't really claim to be an expert on Thee Oh Sees, but I wouldn't say that this song was their crowning achievement. (Ironically, I think you were the one to first clue me in to these guys!) I've been enjoying what I've heard from the new album (especially the Cantastic single 'Lupine Dominus'), as well as the raucous delights of their Carrion Crawler/The Dream CD. Maybe some folks more well versed in their back catalog could chime in here.

bzfgt likes this.
  16. Very cool show in ATL last night, actually had a chance to talk with Ty and get a record signed!

Not sure what I was expecting from the crowd but there was a pit area that got a bit rowdy for my tastes, but what the heck, the kids were having fun, haha.

Reminded me of my days in the early 00's seeing Poison the Well, Every Time I Die, etc. Those were some crazy pits, haha.

Ran a bit late, Ty wasn't even finished at 1:15 AM... Still a great time though.

17. woody

woody Forum Resident

It was a marathon last night. Thee Oh Sees played first and Ty was great but no match for the veteran band. Thee Oh Sees rhythm section are incredible. I was forewarned by a recent review there would be a raucous crowd up front so we kept our distance. If you like a propulsive high energy show do not miss this tour.

18. I heard a bit of rumour going around the crowd beforehand but we were already close to the pit area, haha. So I just played defense. A friend of mine was actually in the front row through the whole thing and came out sweating and out of breath (and he wasn't even dancing!).

Very tight rhythm section, agreed!

19. woody

woody Forum Resident

20. Saw Thee Oh Sees last year in Rochester, NY at The Bug Jar & they were incredible!! They are playing in Buffalo on Tues. Sept. 25th at the Town Ballroom- $15 advanced tickets...don't miss them!
    I just can't do it...going on Sunday to Buffalo for Donna The Buffalo...Thursday to Cleveland for Ian Hunter & then next Sunday to Ithaca for Yo La Tengo...but can't wait to catch them again soon!

A6mzero likes this.
  21. Harry Rag

Harry Rag Forum Resident

Going to see them next saturday.
    New ep is musically pretty good, But a butt ugly album cover. The vinyl one is a die cut front and back . It's a head scratcher

22. woody

woody Forum Resident

23. capn

capn Forum Resident

haven't heard the new one yet, but there's a nice 2CD version out on Fuse Music in Australia, 2nd disc is demos.

there's also a split 45 on Famous Class records just out.

24. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

bought the new Oh Sees and new Ty Segall ( yellow one " Twins" ) and i must say the Ty Segall album is F A N T A S T I C
    what a great songwriter , check this song out !!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DipDIhLaKbs

25. zakyfarms

Whoo, Thee Oh Sees killed it last night in SF!
    They really know how to bring it live. Fast becoming one of my favorite live bands.