“Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall” now Two discs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by larry333, Jul 9, 2019.

1. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the Mosaic Records vinyl LP of “Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall” It is a single LP disc. I see the Blue Note repress now lists it as a 2 LP set! Explain...

tug_of_war likes this.
  2. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Cash grab, of course.

3. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

I'd like more information about this release as well. I was just listening to the Michael Cuscuna interview on the Vinyl Guide, and now I'm interested in picking this up. I searched the forum, but found nothing on this 2017 reissue.

I would guess that the reason the new one is 2 discs was that the set lengths were really pushing the limits for a single disc (about 25-27 per side, it looks like). Unfortunately, now the sides are a little on the short side. I'd rather have seen it be a 3-sider, or cut at 45-rpm (though I gather the sound quality may not have warranted that).

I don't think it's fair to call this a "cash grab" when the 2LP set is priced at $30 (and readily available for $22-25 online) and the original Mosaic was $30 in 2005 and has been unavailable for years.

I'm assuming, though, that this reissue was cut from the digital transfer they did in 2005. The only info I've found is that the new US version was cut by Ian Sefchick. (Lex van Coeverden for the EU version, pressed by MPO.) The original was cut directly from the tape (supervised by Michael. Cuscuna; I can't find the mastering engineer's name now, but it wasn't Sefchick): the tape then went back to the Library of Congress and I've seen no mention of the tape in the product listings for the new vinyl.

It seems the original Mosaic is pretty well regarded (apart from a couple of mentions of noisy vinyl), so I'll probably look for that, although I might pick up the new one in the interim, since I haven't found a hi-res version at any my usual haunts. I am certainly interested in any comments from people who have either version, or even the CD (for comparison).

misteranderson likes this.
  4. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I just added the matrix/runout for the original pressing to the Discogs submission. Anyone know what "KH MCK" signifies?

5. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Aha! Found the post! This quotes from the Mosaic website (the page is unfortunately gone, but can be viewed here: Thelonious Monk ).
    So, @Blackie, I'd reckon that KH is Kevin Hodge, and maybe "MCK" is actually "MCR", for Master Cutting Room. That make sense?

AaronW likes this.
  6. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Perfectly, thank you and corrected!

Fractured likes this.
  7. Dmac99

Dmac99 Forum Resident

I have heard the mosaic release and it was pretty good. I was looking at the new 2 LP release and noticed that it’s says a digital master was created from the original 15 ips tape. Wondering if anyone knows if that is a an error copied from the CD release or if it is indeed a digital master or if anyone has heard it. I have not seen anything on the web comparing the 2 LP release to the original.

8. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The Mosaic is the same as the Classic? I've never seen either.

The standard 2lp Blue Note version is OK, the vinyl is a bit noisy. There is apparently a Back to Black 180g version and a couple knockoffs on Doxy and DOL.

I've had the CD since it came out and it's gotten lots of time. Haven't compared it with the LPs.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  9. Dmac99

Dmac99 Forum Resident

You may be correct, I am not sure what the difference is between the mosaic and the classic, they may be very different.
    I was hoping to get an all analog version of this on vinyl. Looks like the Classic may be the only option for that.

misteranderson likes this.
  10. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I think so, below is what was written on the Mosaic website when this came out in 2005 (link posted above):

This LP was mastered from the original 15 ips mono analog tapes by Kevin Hodge at the Master Cutting Room and pressed on Classic Records proprietary 180 gram Quiex Super Vinyl Profile virgin vinyl.

NOTE: The LP jacket erroneously has the mastering information for the CD edition of this recording. This audiophile LP was mastered from the original analog tape.

Dmac99 and crispi like this.
  11. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

The original CD was marred by unnecessary digital noise reduction, which was pretty audible especially in the quieter parts. I have heard a needledrop of the Mosaic LP, and it sounded great, and made me wonder why they had used NR for the CD in the first place.

The info posted above that the Mosaic LP was cut from analogue but included the CD credits by mistake is correct.

So I really hope this is a new transfer from the tape. I’ve been trying to get the Mosaic LP for years, but could never find one at a decent price.

12. Rando Name

Rando Name Active Member

Any more thoughts on how the 2lp reissue sounds? Still thinking about picking it up, but haven't seen much feedback either way on it.

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I read the thread title as:
    “Thelonious Monk Quartet with Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall”

14. Did we conclude that the 60th anniversary vinyl is indeed from digital?

15. So what happens? Monk bangs, plinks, points, and pokes his notes away in genius crayon fashion until Judy, head dizzy with delight, takes three steps back, cracks another bite into her apple, and beckons with beak upwards pleading for another night, another sight, another town, to become thrust in the moist angry turbulence of brown, dust and spitter spatter tornado red-slipper lust, lost and found.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    kt66brooklyn and anth67 like this.
  16. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry to see that it appears no one on this forum has the 2LP version to let us know...

davidpoole likes this.
  17. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Like I said a couple years ago, it's OK. I can't hear any obvious noise reduction on it.

You have the Classic version anyway, which is probably better by default.

Oddly enough, it's one of the few Jazz LPs I always see everywhere. Blue Note must have cranked out lots of 'em.

kt66brooklyn and davidpoole like this.
  18. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

Anyone else able to comment on the 2lp blue note? What is the “Classic” version folks are referring to - I see the Mosaic, Back to Black, and Blue Note?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Aleksander86 likes this.
  19. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

Bump

20. @Aleksander86 - The"Classic" version was produced by Classic Records in 2005 for Mosaic Records.
    I think there was both 200g and 180g, and just received 180g copy which I'm playing.

Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane - At Carnegie Hall

The Discogs listing notes that the credits about a digital source are erroneous, and that it is AAA.
    Though I'm not sure if there's conclusive evidence. I'm going to A/B with a CD copy and see which I prefer.

Aleksander86 and kt66brooklyn like this.
  21. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Thelonious plays pretty for the people.

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Would have been a great duo..

davidpoole and kt66brooklyn like this.