Thelonious Monk recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Isamet, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident Thread Starter

Purchased the RSD Vinyl "Monk," and was astounded not only by the sound of the vinyl but the quality of the music of course. But which album of his is generally recommended as his "masterpiece?" And what kind of media is the best way to listen to it? Also any other Monk suggestions would be appreciated.

willwin and Stone Turntable like this.
  2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

You could begin with any one of these (or all of them). I'd go chronologically, others might do it differently:

Round Midnight: The Complete Blue Note Singles
    is I think the best way to hear his earliest recordings as a leader and some of his best plus the takes that introduce most of his most famous compositions

Thelonious Monk Trio on Prestige pulls together his great early trio dates for the label is almost a primer in the Monk piano style and also features the introduction of more classics

Brilliant Corners is a great and great sounding album featuring Sonny Rollins and one of Monk's most brilliant original tunes

Thelonious Himself is Monk's first solo piano album and the version of "Round Midnight" is like a little Monk piano sonata

Monk's Music may be Monk's best single album (although with a guy whose recording career began in 1948, albums aren't really the best measure of Monk's output)

Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall -- historic and influential if short-lived '57 quartet with Coltrane captured live

3. Isamet

For the Brilliant Corners album, what is the best vinyl pressing? And is it available on SACD?

4. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

Orthogonian Blues likes this.
  5. speedway

speedway Forum Resident

There is a great documentary "Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser".

6. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Others will have to answer that. I have it on an '80s OJC vinyl pressing of Brilliant Corners which is great and which I've never had any reason to replace. Though I wouldn't eschew the earlier stuff. The Blue Note stuff is really the stuff over the years that I find myself returning to more and more -- there's always new stuff I hear in that -- and especially since the Singles set has come out -- which is a better set for listening than any of the earlier ways the material has been organized, and the best sound on the stuff to date. And the Trio album is just the most Monkiest Monk piano record. As a pianist I listen to that album and I think one could almost make a concordance of Monk pianoisms from it.

If you're looking for great Monk albums that also have great sound and have gotten audiophile reissues -- Alone in San Francisco is something else; Monk's Music is a great sounding album, most people prefer the mono version, but although it's distant sounding, the stereo version is terrific too. Again I have old OJC versions of these, but here are lots of choices out there others can speak too.

dman23 and kees1954 like this.
  7. sami

sami Mono still rules

All of the above, and make sure you grab the two live records he did with Johnny Griffin at the Five Spot in 1958, Misterioso and Thelonious in Action. Arguably my favorite Monk along with Brilliant Corners and 5 by Monk by 5..

IanL, KipB, Amoepe and 3 others like this.
  8. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Underground (1968).

9. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Turmatic and Isamet like this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Monk's Dream is one I would recommend in addition to those others have mentioned.

NorthNY Mark, Isamet and fallbreaks like this.
  11. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Brillant Corners usually.

But get his complete output for Blue Note in a format of your choice. Also most of his Riverside recordings are really worth it as well as any of his solo recordings at least until early 60s.

Isamet and andybeau like this.
  12. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Monk's Dream is really easy on the ears. It's got a decent selection of his compositions, in solo and band formats, and while it's not his most fiery or groundbreaking recording, it's got that great Columbia studios vibe and really captures that late 50s/early 60s classic jazz album feel. Similar sound to Kind of Blue or Mingus Ah Um, also recorded at Columbia, if you know those.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Monk's Dream sounds great on SACD by ORG.

Isamet likes this.
  14. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

You can't go wrong with any of these recs. My personal favorites of what I own are the Monk Trio on Prestige that Chervokas mentions above, and Monk's Music. Generally I love Monk the most in a trio setting.

Edit: Adding Milt Jackson's Wizard of the Vibes here as I really enjoy Milt & Monk playing together. It's got a bit of a convoluted release history you can read here: Wizard of the Vibes - Wikipedia

Isamet likes this.
  15. Isamet

Does anyone know if this pressing of Brilliant Corners is supposed to be good?

Brilliant Corners

16. Bobby Buckshot

I wouldn't pay that much for any Wax Time LP. It's a public domain company and there's a good chance that it used a CD source. I'd go for a simple OJC CD (non CD-R) as you can probably pick one up for less than $12 and the SQ will be good. I've got Monk's Music on one of those and it's a good player.

Isamet likes this.
  17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Vinyl - Steve’s 45s
    CD - The Japan first pressing

Isamet likes this.
  18. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

19. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Anything with Ruby My Dear. Love that song! Not much help, I know, but thought I'd chime in :)

razorball, Ryan Lux and tug_of_war like this.
  20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The Teor Sessions box became too expensive today.

21. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

the recent vinyl pressing of Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane - At Carnegie Hall is essential listening and also very reasonably priced for a double album. decent liner notes, too

Isamet likes this.
  22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

You can't go wrong with Monk. His post 1960 output is not always inspired, but it's still quality music. Rare for a major artist, there's almost no budget label/cash in type of releases, aside for some undated 60s live recordings which are pretty good.

23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I like a lot of the albums mentioned above but my favorite that I've fallen in love with this past year is Solo Monk on Columbia CS 9149/CL 2349. Just Monk and piano. It's so uncluttered and has a vibe like you're right in the room with him just hangin' on a sunny afternoon and Monk says to you...hey,let me play you this one. Its playful,warm,and accessible and reminds me of early Leon Redbone for the nearness and good vibes.

NielsSS, Paul Venables and Ryan Lux like this.
  24. Isamet

Would you know if the OJC Newbury Comics Red vinyl pressing is any good?

25. Bobby Buckshot

Unfortunately no. I don't have any experience with their LPs. Someone here will know however...

Isamet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.