Thelonious Monk, The Complete Riverside Recordings vs The Riverside Tenor Sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aoide, Nov 22, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I can't tell you about the sound quality, I have all this stuff on old OJC LPs from back in the day, an in some cases some individual CDs. Someone else will have to answer your question, but it's worth noting that content-wise the two sets aren't substitutes for one another. Tenor Sessions has Monk albums, in order of the tracks as released on those albums originally, and albums that have at least one reed man on 'em playing tenor (mostly they're quintet dates, but Monk's Music has a larger ensemble). The Complete Riverside set has all that material, plus all the trio material and the solo piano material Monk recorded for the label, it has master takes and alternate takes (and the takes are organized back to back), and the material is arranged in session/recording order

JRM, Swann36 and Aoide like this.
  3. Aoide

Can anyone here comment on the sound quality of The Complete Riverside Recordings CD set?

4. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

wish I knew...and to make it an even more comparison...WHICH version of the Complete Reiverside recordings is considered best for sound quality..the 1986 original...or the 90s remaster? I imagine the earlier, since probably no brickwalling?

tug_of_war and Aoide like this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Kevin Gray did the mastering on the Tenor Sessions and the sq received great reviews. On the vinyl set Ive read that the song misterioso got cut short. I dont know if thats the case on the gold cd set.

Id want the most complete set. Plus that gold set is expensive.

Ive got the AP 45 sets, so I have no need for the box set.

Aoide likes this.
  6. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Thanks for the comments I'm newish to Monk and looking to build a little library so discussions like this I'm finding really helpful, thanks all those who have commented

tug_of_war and Aoide like this.
  7. Randy Goldberg

Randy Goldberg Forum Resident

Sound quality on gold box set is amazing. Kevin Grey. Box and booklet are beautiful. worth every penny.

tug_of_war, hvbias and Aoide like this.
  8. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

Anyone, can can anyone answer this? or does the 15 set, sans outakes, on Universal sound best of these three options?

Aoide likes this.
  9. Aoide

Very helpful, thank you!

10. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have always thought that the sound quality on “The Complete Riverside Recordings” is excellent.

I cannot imagine being without any of the music in “The Complete Riverside Recordings.”

Bob Y, Aoide, Taxman and 1 other person like this.
  11. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I just bought the 1986 set for $65 on Discogs. Sound is great and for all that music, a bargain. There were others for that price.

MicJames, Aoide and Hot Ptah like this.
  12. MicJames

MicJames Forum Resident

Been considering the ‘86 Riverside set, myself, for the alternates and perhaps SQ.

Is there any indication if the mastering is different than the OJCs, and/or who did the mastering? Perhaps they use the earliest Hersch/ Gastwirk mastering used on the VDJs?

Playhard2 and Aoide like this.
  13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Through this week I just finished listening to all the the Analogue Productions "The Riverside Tenor Sessions" gold CD box (Kevin Gray). I am an absolute Monk fanatic and for me these are the very best these albums have ever sounded. The one exception being Brilliant Corners where I like both this gold CD ("pops" a bit more, not compression just a super dynamic mastering with great EQ) and the more relaxed/rounded sounding SHM-SACD, neither is better than the other. The SHM-SACD is the only version that has that sound, it is a flat transfer from a Japan copy tape. The Tape Project tape also sounds like the AP gold CD not the SHM-SACD.

I have the original Japan box set of The Complete Riverside Sessions (VDJ-25010) as well as the original US release, these two aren't digitally identical but sound extremely similar. I've also owned most of these on various OJC, Keepnews Collection and Fantasy SACDs. I've also owned all of the amazing AP 45 rpm vinyl that SH/KG remastered on that Fantasy Greatest jazz series, these 45s are about as close to the AP gold CD box as it gets for vinyl listeners.

AP did a really nice job with the premium presentation for this box as well, instead of needing to read the original vinyl art on the back of a CD case they've given us full 12x12" vinyl covers (like art prints on thick paper) with the vinyl album notes on the back. One cover for every album in the box. All the CD labels use the correct vinyl label.

Smith and Aoide like this.
  14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Just compared Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane against the AP 45 rpm vinyl that @Steve Hoffman and KG cut (of all the vinyl I sold I'm glad I kept a copy of this just in case). Both the AP Gold and SH/KG vinyl cut are so damn good. Very dynamic with exceptional tonal color, we were fortunate that these recordings were made on Riverside and not Blue Note. And played AP gold Brilliant Corners again this morning, this has to be the most dynamic non-classical mono album I own. For the more "live" style of mastering on digital I am very pleased to have this upgrade over the Keepnews Collection.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Thank you.

People, FYI, the cheap-o OJC LP of Monk/Coltrane also sounds mighty fine. I've seen it out there for 10 bucks.. OJC CD is great as well..

George P, PATB, frightwigwam and 2 others like this.
  16. blue

blue Mastering rules

yes, several of the Monk 45RPM AP releases (and several others of the series) are my absolute reference examples of great mastering of that era. No one (except maybe Doug Sax when compared to others) reached/reaches this so far imo. Seems to be a mix of mastering choices and equipment used.

17. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

The "Complete" uses stereo masters when available
    "Tenor" is all mono

frightwigwam likes this.
  18. Randy Goldberg

Not true. I am not home now but at least 3 or 4 of the gold cds in The Riverside box are stereo.

Aoide likes this.
  19. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I find a lot of Sax's mastering pretty bright, I will always sample his mastering first before hand. KG's balanced mastering usually hits the spot for me and I'll confidently buy KG's jazz reissues without having to sample them. Alan Yoshida (when there is no other mastering co-credit to alter his mastering) is usually really good as well.

Indeed I am very glad I held onto a few of those Riverside Monk AP45s. These are demo worthy reissues for some phono equipment we'd like to release. I personally find digital less stressful these days with not having to return bum pressings, so that is my preferred way to hear them and why I've been on a quest looking for the best digital masterings of my favorite albums :)

Agreed, all albums are in stereo except Brilliant Corners (mono only recording), Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane (some tracks mono and some stereo like it always has been since its from multiple sessions) with the one exception being Monk's Music which is in mono. The mono mix for this is entirely different from the "binaural" stereo mix so I like having both. I would love to have a stereo mastering of this by KG.

20. Randy Goldberg

Just did a quick look at the discs in the Riverside box, the first 3 gold CDs are mono, the next 4 are stereo.

21. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I opted for the Monk Riverside complete albums rather than complete sessions. I prefer to experience this music as albums rather than chronological sessions.

22. Randy Goldberg

I’m confused are you saying you got the 7 disc set or the 15.

23. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

16 IIRC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.