There haven't been any good new cartoons lately, have there?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Jan 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

The Adventure Time episode ("Thank You") with the Fire Wolf Pup is my all time favorite.

Grunge Master likes this.
  2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

You'd never know it ended, they play it all the time on Disney XD (as in multiple episodes a day, they aired 10 different episodes over this past weekend.)
    I was very psyched for it, my kids watched the two part pilot like 1000 times (mostly because it premiered something like 5 weeks before they started airing the rest of the episodes.) It seems like they are in for the long haul, as they've had several episodes that focused on individual characters - sounds like you saw a couple of Webby ones, they also had one with just Louie and Scrooge, one where it's just Huey and Dewey, etc.

What's annoyed me about it is that the pilot is a 30 minute intro, paired with a typical 'go adventure with unca scrooge' story, then the next 3 or 4 episodes are them hanging around town. The last couple have been more adventure based, but we had to wait forever with those.

My kids watch a lot of Disney cartoons, and it's frustrating as hell that their MO seems to be 'release a pilot, follow up (usually within a few weeks) with a short run of episodes, then wait another month or two, then one or two more, then another 7-8 weeks, then 3 episodes etc.

Tangled, the rapunzel series, is not half bad, that premiered in March 2017, and they just wrapped up season 1 a couple of weeks ago.

seed_drill likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Anybody wanna make a case that Archer is somehow comparable to "animation"? Either way, it's a hoot. You want something a little more serious, go rent The Plague Dogs.

:idea: Or, try playing Cuphead.

4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

My kids love this show. As for me, I can't make heads nor tails of it...:laugh: And, judging from some of the bits I've seen of Gumball, I'm glad my youngest kid can't quite understand some of it yet either. My 13 year old stepson laughs his asss off at it, though.
    Are they still making new episodes? Season 10's a couple years old now and given how my four year old can watch the damn show for days on end some new episodes my wife and I haven't seen before would be nice!:righton:
    A bit of a decline, IMO, but not quite Simpsons level decline. Mind ya, I don't think any television show declined as much as The Simpsons has in the last fifteen years or so.

I wasn't a big fan of the first Spongebob movie but I thought the second one was friggin' hilarious:laugh:

ianuaditis likes this.
  5. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Didn't even know there was a second movie!

6. ianuaditis

We are on the same tee-am regarding the two Spongebob movies.

I'm still agnostic about the Simpsons decline; I've enjoyed what episodes I've seen recently, though it's a small sample.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. ianuaditis

Sponge Out of Water.

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Samurai Jack is one of the best animated series ever and visually stunning. Can be compared to any from the golden age.

Zoot Marimba and yamfox like this.
  10. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

The Regular Show.

My two oldest nephews watch it... and got me completely hooked. But then, I got their parents' hooked on 24 about a decade ago, so the universe balances itself out once again...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  11. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I'm still enjoying Bob's Burgers and Family Guy. Catch South Park every so often, but haven't watched The Simpsons since the Family Guy crossover episode. Sadly there is nothing left that I have found that comes close to approximating Brendan Small's Home Movies, the early years of Aqua Teens or the first half-decade of Cartoon Network shows.
    Edit: Oh yeah, I also still watch Rick and Morty, it's pretty good.

12. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Loren Bouchard was equally important to Home Movies, and I think (his show) Bob's Burgers is kind of the natural, more accessible progression of that show, plus with a little King of the Hill DNA it inherited from its staff. Definitely not as unique or strange but strikes a more similar tone in its improvisational dialogue than anything else I've seen on TV. I am surprised how well it's held up over the years so far, I think it helps that the writing staff has been consistently the same for 8 years (!), which other than South Park (which is under the complete control of two people) I don't think has been done before. It's a bit samey, but that's comforting, and the characters have continued to develop rather than becoming caricatures - Louise for example has become more and more loving and empathetic over the last few seasons, while a lesser show would have pushed her evil streak in the first couple of seasons to a mean-spirited extreme.

In general I'm a little better off with the modern slate of cartoons than many as I'm a fan of low-key slice-of-life shows about childhood for their potential relatability, warmth and nostalgia, and it seems that's the direction the kids' networks are going in, as CN and Disney have new shows in that vein called Craig of the Creek and Big City Greens on the horizon.
    It does seem we're due for something different to shake things up though, like Adventure Time did at the beginning of the decade. Rick and Morty was the last thing to really capture the imagination of the public, and being a proper half-hour sitcom with relatively high production values was a different kind of show for [adult swim] (and I'm sure they've been working hard on developing more shows in that vein to earn a fraction of that success), but their production pipeline is so slow that I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the momentum died off by the time the show airs new episodes again.
    It definitely seems TBS got the memo, as they've got this show coming out, which while not a copy I kind of doubt would exist without R&M:

ianuaditis likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Anime is chock-full of possibilities.

Personally, I love Warner Bros but for new stuff, some anime can be terrific.

Introduced my wife last week to an anime I thought we could try where a woman saves a dragon and now lives with her. It's a goofy silly series but there are a handful of serious laugh outloud moments in every 22-min episode.

14. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Disney XD ended up switching the episodes out of order, hence why there were a lot of Webby episodes in a row

ianuaditis likes this.
  15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Spectacular Spider Man was really good, but unfortunately it was cancelled because of the Marvel-Disney deal, but it's certainly worth a watch.

We Bare Bears is a pretty charming show

seed_drill likes this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Duck Tales?
    Can't think of any.

17. Evil Strawberry

Evil Strawberry Forum Resident

Adventure time. Yeah i know its almost ending but still. and we Don't forget REGULAR SHOW. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. sorry i had to do that.

sloaches likes this.
  18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Spectacular Spider-Man was really good, but it has been off the air for over 8 years.

As action oriented half hour shows go, Trollhunters on Netflix is pretty darn good.

For a more cartoony cartoon series, Danger & Eggs on Amazon Prime Video is a lot of fun.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  19. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That's not unusual. It occurred with the most recent version of Astro Boy where they ran the episodes out of order so that some characters appeared before they were formally introduced. They also did this with the series Cardcaptor Sakura, where the episodes were run out of order to introduce some characters sooner and to change the focus of the series.

In a related way, it also occurred with the anime series Ranma 1/2. In the U. S. they released the movies and OAVs on video long before they should have been released (from what I understand, some were originally released after the TV series had ended). Due to this, in the U. S. some characters appeared on video long before they were introduced in the TV series.

As an example, in one Christmas Special, which featured a large number of characters who hadn't yet appeared in the TV series. It was years before all of the characters appeared in the TV series, leaving us to wonder "Who Is That?" with many of the characters for a long time.

That is one of the things I like about the series Bleach: You must watch the episodes in order, and it is so important that they include the episode number in the Title Card. Each Title Card (which appears near the beginning of each episode) features three things:
    • The word "Bleach"
    • The episode number
    • Something related to the specific episode
    The following video shows some of the Bleach Title Cards (Note: Many contain spoilers!)

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  20. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I watched both Adventure Time and Regular Show quite, well, regularly a few years ago. Cartoon Network seemed to have a problem airing any new episodes on a consistent basis so I sort of lost interest. However, I did see that the final Adventure Time was set to air so I recorded and watched it. It was entertaining but even more surreal than what I recalled (I missed out on the ending of Regular Show).

Evil Strawberry likes this.
  21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

Just got the DVD of the final seasons of 'Adventure Time' in the mail from Amazon today!

Doesn't contain the 'Diamonds And Lemons' episode, though.

22. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I had the experience when watching Bleach on Adult Swim. I was watching the series each week, then they ran the first episode again so I figured that they had run out of episodes and so they were going to rerun the entire series. So I stopped watching and would return to watching when they were close to where they left off.

Two weeks later, I happened to catch Bleach and they were running new episodes again, so I missed some episodes. That led me to just buying the series rather than relying on television for the series.

23. Bordertown

Paradise PD

Big Mouth

Tarantula

I wouldn't normally watch these, but if you're slightly under the influence they are a hoot!

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Hard to remember that those "Golden Years", were really intended for our grandparents, watching Terrytoons at the Saturday night pitcher show...most of us didn't really see them until our "Wonder Years"!

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

very interesting...but they were still "golden" to me.: )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.