There's no way around it, you must clean your records properly!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Geoman076, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!! Thread Starter

This morning, after using RRL fluid for the first time, I cleaned my brand new Steve mastered 45 rpm version of "Monk Coltrane". I had listened to some of it the night before without bothering to clean it. I would love to say that there was no difference, and be able to save everyone some money, but I can't do it. The difference was amazing!! So was the difference in the records that MITBeta cleaned last night when he came over. Records went from kinda "murky" to clear as a bell. Pops and clicks were turned into dead silence, or very faint ticks.

You simply must clean your rrecords to get the most out of them, even brand new ones. Even though a record cleaner is not part of you actual "system", I consider mine a necessary component, just like an amp or Preamp.

But now I think after cleaning the records, I need some room treatments, and might be hearing the limitations of my inexpensive Musichall phono stage.......boy this is a fun hobby!!!!!

2. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I agree!!! Check out my thread on my new way of cleaning, you might have missed it. Since then I use Pure 2 first, then RRL second. I have skipped the distilled water rinsing. You are right, the results are amazing!

Record Cleaning

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You just like playing with your toys, George. You don't fool anyone. :D

4. audio

audio New Member

Geoman....didn't I say this to you early on when you got your turntable from me? I'm surprised you would ever try playing any records without cleaning them first. In any case, I'm glad you've seen the light.:D The same goes for your stylus. If you've been playing dirty records or brand new pressings with mold release compounds on them, then make sure you take care of that.

5. Geoman076

Yes you did Prix, and I was so excited just to be able to listen to vinyl again that I, for the most part, blew off your words of wisdom.

To be honest, I haven't been spinning a lot of vinyl because I've been too lazy to clean them. The disc doctor system had me a little overwhelmed with the procedure of it all (I was afraid of screwing it up or something). After reading up on the RRL cleaner, and finally trying it last night, there is no going back. Have you tried the RRL cleaner yet? I'll have to compare it to the disc doctor system. I kind of like the idea of the RRL quadruple distilled water though. I also have my original bottle of VPI cleaner also.

Whatever your system, ya gotta do it!!!

6. audio

audio New Member

Shame, shame!:D I'll tell you what, though. As I am typing this...I am on break from FINALLY SETTING UP MY TURNTABLE! Your thread about record cleaning inspired me to stop putting off this dreadful task and go for it. I'm determined to be spinning vinyl by sunset tonight. I have not tried the RRL cleaner, but it would be interesting to compare it with the DD stuff. The Disc Doctor solution has been so wildly pristine for me, that I've never had the urge to start trying new products. I think when I get this beast running, I may spring for a VPI and then I'll try the RRL.

7. Geoman076

To slightly hijack my own thread....

Prix, I saw your avatar at a record shop for a good price. What kind of music is it? maybe I'll pick it up and give it a listen!!

8. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I finally sprung for some stylus cleaner from Nagaoka. Thanks to whoever posted about the sleevetown.com sale.

First up after a stylus cleanup & disc doctor splash was a JT-Sweet Baby James (Warner Com LP) :thumbsup: I've never heard it sounding quite this good. On to Mudslide...

9. audio

audio New Member

Well, to further contribute to the delinquency of your hi-jack, I will answer your question. This album is by the Small Faces, who are IMO one of the finest mod/soul/pop/psych acts to come out of the UK in the '60s. This album, "Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake", is their masterpiece/concept album from 1968. It ranges from dreamy psych to funky groove to heavy and catchy rock numbers with a healthy dose of baroque pop thrown into the mix. If you buy it, I'm certain you won't be disappointed and if it's an original pressing...I'll take it off your hands if you don't end up liking it.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Are there any poorman methods for cleaning records that work?

11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Folks, I am sorry if this is a thread crap. Joe, I have been meaning to try RRL myself, however, your new avatar is dynamite.

12. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Yes! I just bought this last week also thanks to the Sleeve Town thread. Works really well! The cloth is great -- really gets rid of dust easily, and the spray also helps with the dust and shine.

13. audio

audio New Member

IMHO, no.

14. Danny

Danny Senior Member

Grant, prior to getting my VPI, I was using the DD fluid and pads (not exactly cheap) and drying the records in a wire dish rack. That worked ok, but the difference I heard after getting the VPI was enormous. IMO, it's well worth the investment, and probably the best one I've made so far. It took me quite a while to save up and scrape the cash together but I'm happy I did. My advice would be to save up, you won't believe how great your collection will sound.

15. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Hi, Tony! Thread crap? What thread crap? :thumbsup: :D

She's a keeper!!!

16. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

What is your actual method of cleaning? I bought some RRL fluid today at a local dealer and I also bought a thin bristle-type brush (that cost a fortune). I tried this brush, as well as my other Discwasher brushes and even used some small lint-free CD wipes on the LP surface. I then wipe down with a soft cotton cloth.

I haven't noticed a major difference in sonics (except one record did sound a bit crisper than I recalled hearing yesterday) and most of the pops and clicks seem to still be hanging around. I do plan on buying vacuum machine soon, but in the interim, I thought this would work as well as many on the Forum claim it does. Many here recommend letting the LP "soak," but I can't get the fluid to stop drying up so fast.

17. lynnm

lynnm New Member

Re:Are there any poorman methods for cleaning records that work?

I use a Spin Clean Record Washer and am very happy with it.

Do a Google on it. This a manual system that gives exceptional results. PM me for more detail if you wish.

For the record my only connection to this device is that of a satisfied customer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.