There's Something About Mary ( Tyler Moore , That Is )

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Mar 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Love her. Love her. Love her.
    Had a major crush on this woman during the Dick Van Dyke Show years which continued into the seventies with her self-titled series which continues on until this day.
    Love her !

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

3. Wildest cat from montana

Oh , yeah...

4. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    No trip down Nicollet is complete with a visit to Mary.

GLENN, Scope J, Platterpus and 2 others like this.
  5. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

In the Dick Van Dyke Show years - yes. I'll leave it there.

Scooterpiety likes this.
  6. Wildest cat from montana

As you wish

7. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Oh yeah,sexy cute good actress..only her legs were seen in the classic-Call Mr.D.[Richard Diamond with David Jansen].

8. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

My older sister, whose sense of humor I sort of inherited, used to insist that the family watch The MTM Show when it was originally airing. I was a wee lad and didn't get some of the humor, but MTM remains dear to my heart as a result. My favorite line from the show, however, is not Mary's but Lou's: "Mary, you don't want to go to Europe. Europe needs paint."

9. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

I still haven’t seen the movie she made with Elvis.

10. Wildest cat from montana

You're not missing a thing.

11. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Something about the opening credits to the MTM show were so....perfect.

That theme sums up the sound, feel and vibe of the entire decade for me.

bigtail, musicfan37, Gary7704 and 6 others like this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Written by none other than Sonny Curtis.

13. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

14. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

What's not to love? :)

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

She's Tops in my book! :D

[​IMG]

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Zou-Bizou-bi-yeah, what. ever.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think she was fantastic in the 1960s, made some awful movies, her Mary Tyler Moore Show was absolutely stellar, but turned into a very difficult, controlling person after that. I know people who worked on some of her 1980s projects, and I was sorry to hear that Ms. Moore was not a nice person. I've asked Ken Levine, the producer/co-creator of her 1985 CBS show Mary, to relate his nightmarish experience with her on his website, but he says he's saving that long, long story for his book. I also worked on the Dick Van Dyke Show boxed DVD set some years ago, and the people who put it together said that Mary was the only person who demanded to be paid for her interview (all expenses paid), had to approve of every question, and had to approve all the makeup, lighting, and camera angles. Carl Reiner, Dick, Rose Marie, and anybody else alive all did the interviews for free and were zero hassle. Dick in particular was (and is) a saint.

I don't deny that Mary was an incredibly talented woman who did great things in the 1960s and 1970s. And her work on The Dick Van Dyke Show and her first solo show was absolutely stellar and deserved many awards and accolades. Brilliant timing, very smart woman who was extremely successful financially.

18. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

So she was playing herself in Ordinary People? (I kid, I kid.) That was her finest acting job, I think.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I've told people before that the uptight, neurotic, controlling woman Mary Tyler Moore played in Ordinary People was very close to the way she was in real life. Bear in mind she was also capable of being very kind, funny, and loyal when things were going well. But things got pretty grim on the three TV shows she did after the 1970s Mary Tyler Moore show.

She later said in the 1990s that she was led to believe that all shows were as funny and effortless to do as her 1970s show, and only later realized how unique the combination of producing, writing, and acting talent was that made her show a success. This is among the reasons why she was never able to equal the acclaim of that show again.

I actually liked the 1985 Mary show (one of the first to co-star Katy Sagal before she became famous in Married with Children, Futurama and Sons of Anarchy), and think it should have had a better chance for success.

20. Wildest cat from montana

Those gams are tops.

21. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, did anyone at the show ever try to get the Petrie’s bedroom to have one bed instead of two? Even as a kid ignorant about the facts of life, I knew that was strange. I know in the fall of 1967, Don Grady had to argue with CBS to get Rob and Tina to share a single bed on “My Three Sons”....and DvD went off the air a little over a year earlier.

22. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Just like Buddy Holly? :cool:

I think I liked the Sonny Curtis theme music as much as anything on the MTM show (and the MTM kitten at the end), I would turn the show on throughout the '70s just for those, oh and the sunken living area in her first apartment, that was so cool. I was more of a Rhoda person I guess however, once she got her own show (and Georgette gave me the heebeejeebies anyway) I switched. "This is Carlton your doorman"... ahaahahahaha!

23. Wildest cat from montana

I found that strange too.

24. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

We started binge watching The Mary Tyler Moore show on Hulu the other day and I’m absolutely in love with it. Such a fantastic collection of characters full and interesting stories. The theme song strikes a nerve every time.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

You could turn the world on with your post !

bmasters9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.