Thiel ebay auction

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TSmithPage, Apr 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member Thread Starter

I'm still contemplating buying some new speakers, and noticed this listing:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3015476920&category=14993

Assuming these are as advertised, is the going price a steal? Anyone familiar with these particular speakers, and can recommend/warn me away from them? I was thinking of buying some new .5s, but the pair will cost me about $1500. If I could get more sound for less money, I'd obviously be interested. I know the guy has no feedback...

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Don't know about the equipment, Todd, but love your BP avatar; one lovely lady!

ED:cool:

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Ed beat me to it I was about to post the same thing. Great minds I guess.:)

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Weird...a guy buys expensive speakers for dinner and background music?? Whatever. Currently $325 for the pair, with six hours to go. Not at all familiar with Thiel's speaker pricing, but seems like a good deal. :) Just watch out for that $120 shipping charge! Heck, some of the Polk Monitor 10's go for over $300.

Says the tweeters are dented--probably referring to the domes (probably mylar or something similar). If you're brave enough, a simple fix is to take a vacuum cleaner and lightly run it across the dome to try and pull it out. I did that for a dust cap on a woofer and it worked fine. Even a piece of sticky tape might allow you to gently pull out the dent. Around here, it's one of the hazards of having kids, and a pair of speakers with a grill off... ;)

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Too bad I didn't see this sooner. I had a pair of those at one time. They are very nice speakers. Very smooth sounding. I traded up to the 3.6's and then to the 7.2's. Whom ever won those speakers got a real good deal for $610.00. I hope it was you Rudy.

6. TSmithPage

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

8. TSmithPage

I think that they'd be closer to $3000 new for a pair, but I'm not sure. It seems the entry level speaker, the .5 sells for about $1500 a pair, and the price goes up from there. I was just about to buy the .5s, but then thought about getting more for my money by buying a used pair. Since Thiel is also located in Lexington, I figured servicing of a used pair might be easier assuming servicing is needed. What kinds of things go bad on a pair of speakers anyway? I'd think the type of person to shell out $$$ on Thiels would not likely be the type to blow them up by playing them too loud, but what do I know...

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have never had any problems with my thiels.

10. -=Rudy=-

No...that's unfortunately out of my price range right now. :)

11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Well, my granddad bought a used pair of Thiels many moons ago. Eventually the surround on the woofers began to deteriorate so he took them to Thiel, whom I believe replaced them with new woofers for little or no charge. These were long out of warranty. I'm not saying that this would necessarily always be the case, but I've never heard a bad thing about Thiel customer service. The technician there mentioned that they liked to see old models now and then to see how their speakers are holding up in the real world.

12. michael w

michael w New Member

The ad sez those Thiels have dented tweeters.

I wonder if they are the same damaged pair that Julian Hirsch reviewed in Stereo Review waaaay back in the 80's ???

cheerio

13. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

I have a pair of Theil 1.2 from the late 80s. After close to 10 years, one of the drivers went. My dealer had two new drivers installed from Theil at absolutely NO CHARGE, including shipping. They really impressed me with that. I have since replaced them with Magnepan 1.6s because I prefer the sound of planars. They have been sitting in boxes in my garage for the past three years.

Jay N.

14. TSmithPage

After serious contemplation, I broke down and bought the Thiel 1.5s mentioned in the second ebay auction above. The bidder is nearby so I should be able to avoid any shipping costs. As I reflect back on my existing Acculabs bought about 20 years ago, I'm sure I didn't spend $200 on them total, so I'm looking forward to what should be a serious upgrade in the sound of my home system.

I understand these Thiels may require a lot of power to maximize their performance. All I presently have is an integrated Yamaha receiver (with I think 75 watts per channel), so time may come soon for me to shop for a more powerful receiver or possibly an amp/preamp. Unfortunately, I don't have the first clue as to what to look for in buying an amp and preamp, or even what function the preamp is supposed to perform! Can anyone point me to any links here or elsewhere that can provide me a primer on these particular components and what I should be looking for if I decide to go that route?

15. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Let me know how you like them.

17. -=Rudy=-

The tweeters on my speakers can actually be disassembled. Meaning that i can remove the front face of it and remove the dome/voice coil as a unit. If that's possible on those Thiels, you may be able to remove the dents that way...taking them apart and popping out the dents from behind.

18. TSmithPage

The ones I bought were the second set mentioned here, and as far as I know, do not have any dents or problems of any type. Of course, the risk of buying things on ebay is you never know until you have them set up if they'll actually work...

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My dog dented the dust covers on my Thiel 7.2 woofers with his wagging tail. It was impossible for me to remove the dents in that aluminum. The dents don't affect the sound. Now I am like, get that damn dog away from the speakers.

20. TSmithPage

Damn dog, meet my 6 year old son, Hagan, who dented the woofer on my present speakers, leading me to buy these in the first place...:)

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the grill on too. I know people who's cats sunk their claws into the woofer cones and tore em' to hell.

My dog is courage dog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.