Thin Lizzy - Rock Legends Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toozeup, Oct 15, 2015.

1. I agree very much, there was a lot of good stuff on those deluxe editions. And the mastering was also done quite nicely.

And I have to say I was really happy and impressed that a repress of the 2nd disc of the DE of "Fighting" was made available to ensure that both versions of "Rosalie" are on it. I appreciated that very much.

And there was also this BBC 6-CD/DVD set which had tons of great material.

I think Thin Lizzy fans are well served on CD. I would appreciate if more stuff could be released in the future, but I am very content with what is available.

2. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

This (I Need You) so needed to be included on the S/T deluxe.

3. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

The master was still missing when that release was assembled, as I recall.

4. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

I missed out on the big version of that, and remain eternally gutted.

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  5. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

"Looking Glass" by the La's should speed up for longer, slower, but not stopping until it's high pitched white noise.... then slowly crawl back down to sub-bass levels, then start all over again, with more samples mixes in from NEWER La's songs!

6. goodhumorman

goodhumorman Forum Resident

Yep

7. Mrc4u

Mrc4u Forum Resident

Not true. "Romeo And The Lonely Girl" was definitely played live @ the Agora Theater in Cleveland, May 1976. It is available in very decent quality on the fist disc of the 3 live boot set "Remembering part1".

Pouchkine likes this.
  8. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

According to Scott Gorham on today's Eddie Trunk show on Sirius XM the box set is still in the works and will be released. :D

There were some legal issues to hammer out, but they have been resolved and there is no delay on the set on the ex band-members end.

No release date yet though.

9. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

Hot Damn!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Leigh Burne

I've been going through one of my Thin Lizzy binge periods lately, as I tend to do a couple of times a year. The last few times I found myself listening to them, I'd been getting increasingly sad that this project had apparently died. Absolutely fantastic to hear it's still in the works and apparently moving (or at least crawling) towards completion.

slipkid, SonicBob and Pouchkine like this.
  11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

They should have a race with this project and the DVD Frank Marino has been working on for what seems like a couple hundred years now. I'd love to see either of them come out but at this point I don't think I'll live that long....please prove me wrong....

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  12. Leigh Burne

I picked up the latest issue of Planet Rock's magazine, which has big cover piece on Thin Lizzy, in the hopes it might mention something about this. Sadly not, but the content was still pretty interesting. Nice piece on Live and Dangerous and a fairly tragic account on the last few months of Lynott's life.

13. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Thought it would be worth bumping this thread for this year's RSD release of Black Rose - Thin Lizzy - Record Store Day

"This version exclusive for Record Store day contains the original album as well as a set of unheard (till now) Demos of the record from Phil Lynott' s archive. The album has enhanced artwork and a new cut has taken place of the record for the best audio quality"

johnny q, house9, Pouchkine and 4 others like this.
  14. FourWalledWorld

Has anyone come across a tracklist for this yet?

Matthew Tate, Leigh Burne and house9 like this.
  15. FourWalledWorld

^ Bump (since we're just days away)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. FourWalledWorld

The bonus tracks are Good Earth Demos 1978
    Side Three:
    - Do Anything You Want To
    - Toughest Street in Town
    - S&M
    - Waiting for an Alibi
    - Sarah

Side Four:
    - Got to Give It Up
    - Get Out of Here
    - With Love
    - Roisin Dubh

17. FourWalledWorld

Apologies for my now 5th (!) post in a row on this thread....

Did anyone pick up the RSD Black Rose? And if so, what's your opinion of the demos?

Matthew Tate and Pouchkine like this.
  18. Leigh Burne

Not to criticise or get off topic, but every time I get a new notification about this thread I get my hopes up that there's some new news about the box set :laugh:

19. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

My 2nd disc of Fighting has the US Mix and the BBC session of Rosalie. Are those the 2 versions you are talking about?

20. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

The Frank dvd is apparently fully completed and off to the manufacturer shortly...fingers crossed.

slipkid likes this.
  21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I heard something that sounded possibly encouraging....thought maybe there would be an announcement last month perhaps but nothing so....I guess not...who knows....

Leigh Burne and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Leigh Burne

The original pressing didn't have the US mix, it was just the regular studio version repeated. Universal offered corrected replacements to the people who wrote in and complained, and subsequent versions were fixed.

Well I wait with bated breath.

Still haven't forgiven myself for missing out on the BBC box set, so I'll be all over this if/when we hear something.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    slipkid and The Hud like this.
  23. No, I was talking about the version on the bonus disc was originally not the US Mix and they used the exact same version that appears on the disc 1 of the deluxe edition. They pressed corrected discs which fixed that.

No relation to the BBV version of the song.

The Hud likes this.
  24. FourWalledWorld

Sorry, I probably should have set up a separate thread for the Black Rose RSD.

25. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

So I need to listen to the disc and make sure it is a different mix. Is there anything obvious that I can listen for?

JonMcK likes this.