Thin Lizzy: Why Weren't They Huge?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Barnabas Collins, Mar 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, it's another of those threads. So here in the US, Thin Lizzy are largely remembered for the band that did "The Boys are Back in Town". The Jailbreak album was pretty big here in the US but they quickly became a cult band again. The question is: why? They had so much going for them. Great songs with loads of heart, a consistent back catalog, a charismatic front man in Phil Lynott and those inimitable guitar harmonies. And one of the greatest live albums ever in Live and Dangerous. IMO, Lizzy should have been as big as Aerosmith or AC/DC. And to be honest, I like them better than those bands. I was a little kid in their heyday, but as I'm pushing 50 today, my appreciation for their art just grows. It's a tragedy that Phil couldn't rid himself of the addictions that eventually took his life. I firmly believe they could have reunited in the late 80s and enjoyed a huge renaissance. So what happened? Was it bad management? Or am I exaggerating their importance in the overly populated world of hard rock/heavy metal?

2. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

??? they were. then the leader of the band died.

3. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

They spent most of their time on a label that had a tough time maintaining acts or keeping them and Phil Lynott was a drug addict.

4. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

One reason might be that Brian Robertson isn't very tall. :p

5. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I always thought their “Renegade” album (1982) should have been a much bigger hit but then it didn’t have a signature track on it to catch on like “The Boys Are Back In Town” did.

6. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

In High School Live & Dangerous was big among us "Surfer/Skater/Rockers" when it came out (as so many live albums of the late '70s did)on the west coast of Southern California. But, that was our bubble too as we just didn't care what others thought? Phil passing away was a huge blow.

7. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I'm not sure that their appearance played much of a role in those "pre-MTV" days. I was in high school when the Jailbreak album was released. Besides The Boys are Back in Town and the title song I didn't hear much else from their other albums. I did occasionally hear Old Flame and Dancin' in the Moonlight but those songs weren't big hits. I do agree with some of you that there is much quality music on their albums.

Scott

8. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Maybe it's a timing thing? They were getting big just as 70s hard rock was winding down and punk and disco were becoming a thing?

Larry L, Alan2, Doctor Fine and 10 others like this.
  9. Sa likes this and

Sa likes this and Forum Resident

And that's exactly why some people hate Dio. If only I was joking

Slim Zooms likes this.
  10. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Love classic Lizzy & also with Eric Bell, in my top 4 or 5 favourite all-time bands. Never liked The Boys Are Back In Town, but i can see why it is so popular.
    My favourite album of theirs is Fighting.
    I wonder how popular they were in Europe? They were a big band in Britain.

marty g and Steel Horse like this.
  11. We might need to look at this region by region in the US. I know they got a lot of support in Phila, at the time, the 4th largest market. They got airplay on all three FM rock stations and were able to do 3- 5000 seaters. They were a hard touring band. That could write hooky tunes. How were they doing in the South, Souhthwest, Midwest, and West?

12. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

I thought they WERE huge??

Andrew J, johnnyyen, Uuan and 7 others like this.
  13. Only one US Gold album, less than Foghat, Robin Trower, Kiss, Bad Co, etc.,

Kinda similar in situation to Nazareth who had one US platinum album.

14. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

They were snakebit. Jailbreak taking off then Phil gets hepatitis canceling a tour. Then Brian gets in a bar fight canceling another tour. Lost a ton of momentum. Too bad. They were a great, great band. Saw them open for Queen- blew them off the stage.

Boedefeld, klockwerk, Uuan and 38 others like this.
  15. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Too much time hangin' out at Dino's.

Boedefeld, elgoodo, Andrew J and 27 others like this.
  16. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

You're exactly right...they lost all the momentum built up from 76-78 for the above reasons. Black Rose was another amazing record,but Phillip and Scott became smack addicts while recording it. Gary Moore lost patience and quit. Arguably Snowy White was the wrong choice of replacement,and then it was all but over. A fantastic band...Phillip Lynott is a beautiful songwriter.

QQQ, mcwlod, Prophetzong and 11 others like this.
  17. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

They where pretty big to me, bought Jailbreak in HS, and in fact that was the US break through album.

18. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

And running from the law:D

19. Rukiki

Rukiki Forum Resident

They were huge in Europe. Not to mention their status as deities in Ireland.

Some US "huge" bands are also virtually unknow overseas. Not that strange at all.

NasuTek, Andrew J, Uuan and 16 others like this.
  20. They may have spread themselves too thin. Not sure if they had any run ins with any of the big promoters of the time: Graham, Barsalona, etc.,

Mechanical Man and Slim Zooms like this.
  21. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Yeah, I guess the question is really why weren't they huge in the US. There's a big world out there....and Lizzy were huge in a lot of it. Great band.

22. Huge is relative. The only certifications thus far are only for 1 Gold US (@ 500k units) and 3 UK Gold worth 100K units each, 2 UK Silver worth 60K units each, and 1 UK double platinum worth 600K units.

1 Canadian Gold @ 50K units

Thus far the UK is the only place they were approaching 'huge'

Lizzy seems to be a band whose reputation grew after Lynott's death as his charismatic presence was missed, and the tight poetic songs lingered on and on. The ghost of Lynott used to haunt Dublin with people and places connected through stories.

23. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

huh? First I've ever heard anyone say Dio was hated. And certainly really never heard of anyone mentioning his height in a derogatory manner. Even on internet message boards.

24. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

Huge is a word with bad connotations right now however I thought they were pretty big. I prefer the lp’s with Eric Bell especially Vagabonds Of the Western World. Eric flipped out and left the band but they made some good music without him.

ArpMoog, Hootsmon, Man at C&A and 2 others like this.
  25. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I've read that in Ireland Thin Lizzy are thought very highly of. Even more so than U2. That's a pretty good tribute. Thin Lizzy still live on today. Seems pretty good really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.