Thin Lizzy: Why Weren't They Huge?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Barnabas Collins, Mar 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Also played Bad Rep & now giving it large with Fighting Deluxe. Nothing cheesy about these albums, this is a band with a lot of heart & soul.
    And a lot of killer riffs & ace guitar work.
    Thanks guys, been a while since I listened to Lizzy, you've given me a great excuse to crank 'em up :righton:

Rufus rag, Pouchkine and ganma like this.
  2. Fishleehooke

Fishleehooke Forum Resident

True, a lot of metalhead were this way. Somehow Hendrix cracked that there too though. But Jimi is just another thing. Different time, etc.

GodShifter, Pouchkine and Slim Zooms like this.
  3. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

All second tier bands in my book.

4. sddoug

sddoug Music Aficionado

This was the point I immediately thought of. No hit single off Johnny the Fox to follow up the monster Jailbreak album. And then the next album has a hit single but it's a dopey love song about spilling chocolate on your pants. That lost most of their support from the rockers.

5. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

How do you think Opium Trail would have done in America instead of Dancing In The Moonlight?

6. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

How come Don't Believe Wasn't A Hit?

Rufus rag, Pouchkine and Mr.La Page like this.
  7. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I think Deep Purple were out of sight of both bands. However Lizzy always did full UK tours unlike Rainbow. I seem to remember Rainbow did a very short tour in support of Down to Earth & were criticised for short shows.
    You couldn't usually drag Phil & the boys offstage in my experience.

primoridal_ooze and Pouchkine like this.
  8. Mr.La Page

Mr.La Page Smoking with the boys upstairs...

Poor Robo! But the boy could play!:righton:

MYQ1 and Slim Zooms like this.
  9. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Robbo sure could!

MYQ1 and Mr.La Page like this.
  10. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I know its blasphemy but I never liked Phil's voice. That kept me from jumping on board.

11. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

But still good bands right?

BTW is your avatar Isaac Guillory or Bert Jansch?

vinyl diehard and GodShifter like this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

One of my favorite guitarists. Top ten easily.

13. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Yep, definitely 3 of my favorites bands.

The avatar is Bert, but both Bert and Issac were geniuses.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  14. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Cool. :righton:

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

This (above). The snakebite effect killing their momentum with cancelled tours just when they were poised to reach the "next level here in the states.

Pouchkine likes this.
  16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I can't speak for the poster you asked that question to, but to me the thing that was wrong with Gary in Lizzy was that he never lasted long enough in the band! Gary and Phil seemed to clash too much, especially their differences over hard drugs I guess.

Pouchkine and Slim Zooms like this.
  17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That doesn't apply to me but I know of people who felt/feel that way. They might like the songs but get turned off by Phil's voice. Similar with Geddy Lee of Rush. Some folks can't get past certain singers (me neither with for example Freddie Mercury who's voice is like nails on a chalkboard for me).

Regarding Johnny the Fox, I think it is a great album but at the time to me it's biggest weakness was how short it was, and the absolute godawful closing track Boogie Woogie Dance which ranks up there in my list of most hated songs by artists that I love. Closing the album with that song, and preceding it with Sweet Marie (which although I don't mind it it is something of an album momentum killer in itself) didn't help boost that album's ratings with my friends that dug Lizzy.

Also, Bad Reputation for some reason was not an album that did much for me at all back in the day but I love it now - with the exception of Dancing in the Moonlight simply because I HATE saxophones/horns in most rock songs, especially that kind of goat bleating sax which does nothing other than take time away from what could be great guitar solos....just my personal tastes.

GodShifter, Pouchkine and Slim Zooms like this.
  18. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Never heard that about Phils voice. Kind of a classical good voice really. Not real odd. Geddy Lee i've heard for years. A friend of mine said the same thing about Klaus Mein from the Scorpions which put me back, i couldn't belive anyone wouldn't dig his voice. But, i get it. Klaus's voice is not really typical. Phil to me is kind of non offensive, not raspy. Never even thought about it much. Cool singer though. Really puts a lot into it. My friend who hate Klaus is a huge AC/DC guy so maybe Klaus is too girly? I remember when Janes Addiction came out many hated his voice and PJ Harvey too. Now over time not as much.

Pouchkine and Slim Zooms like this.
  19. sddoug

sddoug Music Aficionado

No idea. In the US it was never released as a single. I've never heard it on the radio.

20. sddoug

sddoug Music Aficionado

Opium Trail is certainly more consistent with Thin Lizzy's overall sound. I doubt it would have done better than Dancing in the Moonlight though. Moonlight has more "hooks" in my opinion.

Rufus rag, Pouchkine and Slim Zooms like this.
  21. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon

I bought the Wild Horses (Robbo, Jimmy Bain, maybe Don Airey on keys?) album when it came out, and what a disappointment that was. Borderline unlistenable. I saw them live at Stafford UK, Bingley Hall, supporting either Rush or The Who. They were not very good.

22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You and I might have been separated at birth. We seem to agree about most things in terms of rock. I hate saxophones and horns in rock music, too.

I guess the main quarrel we’ve had is over BÖC’s “The Marshall Plan” which you think is genius and just think it flat sucks.

I love Lynott’s voice, btw, but was talking with a guy just last night who said he hated Yes and Thin Lizzy because of the vocals. I mean, Jon Anderson I can see that (don’t agree but can see it), but Phil Lynott? Oddly, the dude likes Rush. Go figure.

Pouchkine, Slim Zooms and slipkid like this.
  23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I recently re-listened to both Wild Horses studio albums and feel that the 2nd one is better than the 1st one. I can't recommend either one though other than if someone wants to have everything Robbo has done in their collection.

Neil Carter does the kbds/backing vocals on the 1st one btw (not Don Airey) along with some kbds by Jimmy Bain IIRC. Carter left and was replaced by John Lockton for the 2nd album but he did not play any kbds.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  24. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Not released? :eek: :eek: :eek:

25. Godbluff

Godbluff Forum Resident

I saw them at the Victoria Hall in Hanley, must have been on the tour in support of the first album. The support was a band from Stoke called Grace, a bit similar to early Genesis and big local heroes (they're still gigging and playing the Cambridge Rock Festival this year). The place was packed but after Grace did their set most of the audience left and it was really thin by the time Wild Horses came on - and no, I didn't reckon much of them either, it certainly didn't persuade me to buy the album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.