Things Hollywood has been doing wrong for years.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

This one may be a bit of a historical myth. I can't remember where they found a bunch of Medieval skeletons, and were surprised how nice their teeth were. The conclusion was that their diet had next to no sugar in it. Can't remember where I read this now.

2. Mr. Bandora

Mr. Bandora Active Member

Pretty much the premise of James Bond. Not every Bond was Pierce Brosnan.

3. Mr. Bandora

Women with no taste/daddy fetish is what's wrong with it.

4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Feedback any time someone steps up to a microphone.

5. Mr. Bandora

On Friends they share appartments so it's not implausible there.

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

My favourite was the old Westerns, a group of bad hombres who haven't washed or shaved in weeks and have never washed their clothes but when they smile have perfect, shiny white teeth. Lots of dentists on horseback in those days, I guess.

7. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

I like when the hero, all bloodied and blown up, kisses the girl at the end with breath like a spring day. Or even wakes up in the morning with nice breath and hair for that good morning romp.

Not in MY world.

8. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

New Orleans accents!

Funeral At The Movies and arley like this.
  9. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

Too many happy endings (ignoring the San Fernando Valley type) in films. Sometimes, the bad guys win. People die. Crimes go unsolved. Nicolas Cage doesn't get Jessica Biel.

10. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

When people get out of bed in the morning and pull their pants on over the underwear that they've worn all night. Folks in the movies hardly ever change their grundies.

11. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I get that some women (and some men) are gold diggers. And some people are drawn to others based on personality or other issues, not looks. But there's no denying that there are a hell of a lot more films where hot, young women are throwing themselves at not hot, older men than there are films with the reverse situation, and in most of those films the stories don't support the view that the relationships are purely mercenary.

12. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Another silly commonplace occurrence: Attractive actors/actresses playing characters who are supposedly so ugly or undesirable that no one wants to be with them.

13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

...even when the old guys don't have a huge bank account

14. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

things-hollywood-has-been-doing-wrong

Melissa McCarthy is movie star :crazy:

Rocker, groundharp, fr in sc and 4 others like this.
  15. Mr. Bandora

As an addendum to that, when character is wearing glasses, they are unattractive and undesirable and then once the glasses are gone they're magically attractive and desirable.

16. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Its the other way around!

Thats actually not uncommon.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  17. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

You mean something along the lines of Blazing Saddles?

- 20th century oil lanterns used in 19th century US westerns.
    - WW2 german soldiers pouring out into the open which is being raked by automatic fire and their comrades are falling in droves.
    - Italian American 'Indians'
    - Literally EVERY American soldier and western frontiersman is a deep voiced, mid-30's aged, clean cut, chisled face John Wayne type.

groundharp and jwoverho like this.
  18. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

Yep. Check out the actor who says "We don' need no steenking batches" in Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Great teeth. And he just doesn't seem like a character who would go to the dentist a lot.:agree:

groundharp, Pastle and Gary like this.
  19. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Dealing with the following gear:

The seeming inability of most actors over the years to turn on/off a reel-to-reel tape recorder or film projector in anything resembling a realistic fashion. You just vaguely tap any button and voila!
    Also, with reel-to-reels, that's often where the continuity goes to hell, with the amount of tape on the reels varying drastically from shot to shot. Cigarettes are checked, wine glasses....and yet sometimes the reel-to-reel just seems to chug along between takes :)

And finally, if you are on an all-night stakeout and you have continuous r-to-r audio recording surveillance going, especially in a van, there is no way you'd record that at 7-1./2 ips....just imagine having to change reels all night. (Logging machines tend to run about 3-4 speeds slower.) But it looks dramatic and emphasizes the reels turning, so hey....
    C.

20. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Yes. I've seen movies wherein the "foreign" roles were spoken in their own language, with subtitles. I got through it without major trauma.

However, in movies where the entire situation is non-English, it's a convenience.

21. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

What til you get old, then get back to me.

22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Not necessary movie remakes and sequels?

Rhapsody In Red and Marzz like this.
  23. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

And the download/upload progress bar always fills most of the screen, and is slow.
    And you always think there no way they'll finish the download/upload and close the lid and remove the thumb drive before the baddie comes in, but it always cuts to our hero either sitting there innocently, or an empty room.

24. Such as:

I mean, how could they?

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Love those OLD b/w movies were their driving in a car and the background is sooo wrong....