Things Hollywood has been doing wrong for years.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Sep 3, 2016.

1. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Paranoia? Psychic powers?

Yeah, nosebleed.

(Though I suppose it might be true...)

2. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Truth. Even the laziest court-appointed defense attorney would prevent most of the conversation from happening at all.

wayneklein and dead of night like this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Continuity errors:

I can't recall all of them, but over the years and many STAR TREK stories, there have been odd names for planets or aliens that are mispronounced at least once by someone in the cast. I always assumed it was an early take of a scene before it was officially decided just how we pronounce that word or name. The only one I can think of right now is in "All Our Yesterdays" from TOS. At one point, Kirk asks if he was addressing the real Mr. Atoz with a long "a" like in the word "able". And then Ian Wolfe replies, "I am the real Atoz" with a short "a" like in the word "at". But then throughout the episode, it's back to the long "A" again.

4. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Or, the suspect is investigated, arraigned, indicted, tried, convicted, sentenced and jailed within, what seems like, a week or two. The investigation alone could take weeks. A court case by jury, in any decent-sized city, could take months or years.

dead of night likes this.
  5. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Problem is, reality is boring. NBC tried this 15 years ago with "Law & Order: Trial by Jury" in which a single case was covered, arrest through trial phase. It bombed and was canceled after one season, at least in part because the public wants to eat the sausage, not watch it being made.

Chris DeVoe and Spastica like this.
  6. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Adding more profanity just for a higher rating (PG-13 rating or higher).

Shooting machine guns and missing their mark every time.

7. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"I don't say sabotage. YOU say sabotage. I say sabo-tadge".

[​IMG]

Ghostworld and DementedAvenger like this.
  8. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

No interest in historical accuracy..

The Great Escape
    The Bridge On The River Kwai
    U-571
    The Patriot

Many others..

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

10. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Django Unchained might as well be a science-fiction film in its treatment of American history.

Ghostworld and Boom Operator like this.
  11. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Bill Cosby looks funny as an old woman!

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Whenever someone (usually a cop or detective) is suspended or forced to take a leave from work, it's always a paid leave, but the person is still always angry about it and vehemently objects to the time off.

Who the f**k would ever be mad about getting what is essentially a paid vacation? I'd give my right eye for some extra time away from work!

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Is this supposed to be funny? :confused:

Lightworker likes this.
  14. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Maybe they could be upset because of a false accusation, maybe they're working on a case & the suspension or forced leave creates a major setback. Not all cops or detectives are guilty when they are suspended or on leave. My opinion.

EdgardV likes this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...reading peoples minds thinking they know want the audience want to see...they've been getting it wrong lately.

16. non-rabbit

non-rabbit Forum Resident

Why is it that the 'poor kids' always drive around in 60's vintage cars that would cost 5x the price of a new car.

17. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Are you saying you wouldn't want a paid vacation away from work?

18. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Apartment building roofs are apparently easy to navigate on foot.

CDFanatic, Ghostworld and Mylene like this.
  19. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Ghostbusters? Still?

20. Oatsdad

It's not that simple - and you know it, which is why I thought you were joking.

In the possibility you are serious, no, I wouldn't want a "paid vacation" if it occurred because I was suspended due to actions that might lead me to be fired at best or incarcerated at worst.

I've had colleagues who were suspended because kids accused them of inappropriate behavior. My colleagues did nothing but there was the chance that they could lose their jobs - or get charged with crimes.

Trust me: they didn't enjoy their "paid vacations". :rolleyes:

SoCalWJS and EdgardV like this.
  21. Oatsdad

CAPTAIN BOGGS: "Joe, you're accused of murdering a suspect. You'll have to stay home with pay until we go through the investigation. You may lose your job and go to jail."

JOE: "Woo-hoo - party time!!!" :laugh:

22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Obviously if there's the potential to be fired or put in jail, then of course the time off wouldn't be welcome.

But it seems like when it happens in movies - especially with cops and detectives - there's usually little to no danger of either of those things happening. Most of the time the captain just wants the cop to be off the case and/or out of the way for a while, with the implication that they can return to the job as normal after their hiatus.

That's why I said it seems so ridiculous that the cop always objects to the time off... if you're given what amounts to nothing more than a paid vacation, with no consequences when you return, then what's the problem? I'd be clicking my heels on the way out the door!

23. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

In movies, it's because the cop is in the middle of solving a big case and the suspension is interrupting his pursuit of justice. Money be damned, it's about principle!

Not too many movies made about goldbricking goofoffs who put in their time just to collect a paycheque.

Lightworker and EdgardV like this.
  24. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Many of us wage slaves can only dream of this scenario.
    It would be groovy to have the job security and sustained
    income of some 'suspended' public sector employees.

25. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Sirens are turned on with the subject in custody