Things you miss from old tv shows that you don’t see anymore?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gill-man, Aug 15, 2018.

1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I liked when they had the 20 second preview before the weekly show began-ON TONIGHT`s Episode----Like the six million dollar man or battlestar gallactica.

j_rocker and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Simplicity of the humor.

3. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

People playing well-developed characters from an actual script as opposed to lazy reality shows. That's why I hated the BH90210 reboot. I was like what the hell is this? Why can't they just be their characters?

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I think there was more variety back then. Now everything tends towards being a cop procedural about serial killers when it's not some realty TV show at least as far as basic TV goes. Speaking of variety, I sort of miss the Variety TV show with different acts: The Smothers Brothers, Glen Campbell, Andy Williams, Ed Sullivan, and also Talk Shows like Johnny Carson when they were more "live" and not scripted out to the nth degree.

Moshe, EdgardV, LilacTeardrop and 2 others like this.
  5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

LilacTeardrop wrote the following as part of a post:

If they can't do that, at least give us some "landing"* episodes where they provide a recap of what has happened before so we can start watching the series after the beginning.

*By "landing" I'm thinking a landing on a stairway where you can pause before continuing up the stairs. Sorry if the analogy isn't clear.

LilacTeardrop and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Bumpers between commercials and the TV show.

j_rocker, bmasters9 and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

STAR TREK will continue following station identification. This is the NBC television network.

[​IMG]

8. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Cool iconic custom cars different from anything else you would see otherwise on the street...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

And that's why I've never cared for today's Five-0 (because the jokers there can't act their ways out of a paper bag, while Lord, MacArthur, et al. could run rings around 'em on the original Five-O)!

All Down The Line likes this.
  10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Arrest the writers and cast, charge murder one of a classic show!
    "Book em Dano!"

11. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

The fact that you have to have sex jokes and crude humor in order for it to be a hit (at least that's the way it seems). I'm by no means a prude, but I don't need to see this kind of stuff in every show.

freddog, j_rocker and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Is that aimed to appeal to the lowest common denominator?
    Easier than finding better or chance taking writers I presume and perhaps it's just another pebble to reinforce the dumbing down of society.......

13. But what to make of Rod Serling, who went from shilling for Oasis cigarettes at the end of season 3 Twilight Zone episodes, to shilling for Chesterfields later in the season?

Hard to watch Serling chain-smoking his way through his hosting gig and not think about how he barely made it to 50 thanks to the habit...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I miss the big-voiced announcers from the old days. They sounded so authoritative.

I blame the current trend toward high-talker-announcers on Disney. Back when the Disney Channel first premiered, I remember being appalled at the high-pitch voice guy, who I guess was chosen for being more kid-friendly. It seems like all channels and networks, when they even have such a thing, still skew toward the high-talker announcers.

15. I guess I don't really know what you are asking.
    When Rod Serling was hosting The Twilight Zone it was the present. At that time his smoking was as normal and accepted as him being in a suit while hosting.
    Using what was to be the future, but has become our past, to gauge the choices of those who were living in the now is really a mental game at best.

Now, take a new host of a show. A 25-30 year old male right now, and have them smoking while hosting.
    This would seem odd, and probably get that host fired if they would not stop smoking on the air.
    Also, 25-30 years down the road for that host, if they too should die from lung cancer, NOBODY would wonder. Everyone would say something to the tune of, "well what did he expect?" "He smoked three packs a day."

Rod Serling was a product of his time. A time when smoking was something the vast majority of people did, and did not think about while doing.

16. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Not TV shows but TV companies who feel it's cool to talk over the end titles, to tell me what is coming next, and for the rest of the evening, when you are traumatised by the end of the last program.

EdgardV and bmasters9 like this.
  17. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

What specifically do you mean by that?

18. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Sorry don't know how I can be more specific. You have just watched a dramatic, deeply felt ending and before the music and end titles are run, in fact as the final voice fades, a bright female voice starts excitedly telling you what is coming up.
    Something you have no interest in.

19. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

That's specific enough-- thanks!

royzak2000 likes this.
  20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I'm taking about British TV I don't know if this happens were you are, sorry.

bmasters9 likes this.
  21. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Doesn't happen here-- still, appreciate the clarification.

royzak2000 likes this.
  22. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Being a huge fan of Mid Century Modern, I love the designs and styles of the late 50s early 60s. The clothes, the furniture, the cars, the décor of the homes and restaurants. I can remember going to restaurants with my parents as a kid and when Perry Mason and Della go into a cocktail lounge (not a bar, a cocktail lounge), it reminds me of that. Everybody is fashionable and well dressed, people are sipping cocktails or highballs from stylish glassware, not swilling beer from a bottle. Even when the Cleavers dined at home (yes the family sitting all together at a dining room table, not eating takeout from cartons on the couch in front of the tv) June and Ward were dressed up.

As much as I couldn't wait for us to get a color TV when I was a kid, I love black and white. Scary scenes were a little more ominous, dramatic scenes held more weight and a night on the town was a little more elegant in black and white.

And there was some stellar writing and acting. Two of my favorite shows were The Naked City and Route 66. Just great dramatic writing (with the occasional comic relief) and wonderful acting. Seeing a super-young Burt Reynolds, Ed Asner, Burgess Meredith, Alan Alda, or William Shatner (okay, so maybe not all great acting :winkgrin:).

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I also see it as representing oneself...but, I do see where you are coming from...many ppl like to be dressed up as it makes them comfortable...

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree....Al was not a Daddy in the sense of the word...Archie was a great Dad to his daughter.. LOL, we used to call one of my childhood friends Dad..."Archie" ...he was hysterical in the way he was an Archie without even knowing it...

25. To be clear, you miss this talking over the end credits?

royzak2000 likes this.