Things you miss from old tv shows that you don’t see anymore?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gill-man, Aug 15, 2018.

1. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I recently discovered something.... the ten second or so opening preview scenes for Dallas.....were different from the actual later scenes!

I just happened to catch that on an episode I was watching....different camera angles, different words. I kept buzzing between scenes and opening previews to figure out what was going on....and later realized it was happening on all the episodes.

It's like the previews were shot separately....rather than being edits from the episodes.

I bet a lot of shows did that.

steveharris likes this.
  2. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

They still do that.

There was an episode of Parenthood where the preview showed the husband of one of the couples in a dinner meeting with his female boss. The husband was separated from his wife at the time. He was supposed to be touching the boss' hand in a romantic gesture. The actual scene in the show was NOT the footage from the preview, but very similar... except that it was clear that it was NOT a romantic gesture. They lied to us with the preview.

I wonder if this happened with the shows that used scenes from each episode in the opening credits, like I Spy or Mission: Impossible. I'm also reminded of Mannix, which featured scenes from various episodes in the opening credits, except for the famous one of him running across the bridge, which was never in any episode!

Steve Litos likes this.
  3. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

There is kind of a "That Guy" following- that seem to be fading with every year. I maintain that there are no great "character actors" like there were back in the day. Like when you saw that someone esteemed like "William Windom" was going to be a guest star on the TV show you were watching that night (for instance, Twilight Zone, The Big Valley, Mannix or Star Trek) and you could sit back and go, "This is going to be a good one..." How I wish they would shows his "My World And Welcome To It" on a DECADES type channel. Or release it on DVD.

4. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Honestly, virtually nothing.

It's not an original thought but it's one I agree with: We are in the era of Peak TV. For me, there isn't a single comedy series from the 60s to the 00s that can touch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. There isn't a single dramatic series from the 20th century that can touch The Wire or Breaking Bad.

TV has largely supplanted regular movies when it comes to stories driven by character and dialogue. Movie economics dictates heavy doses of (1) super hero movies and other films that liberally employ the explosion machine, and (2) kid-friendly animation with jokes and stories that connect with parents too. These are incredibly expensive, labor-intensive undertakings, and take advantage of the theater (huge screen, surround sound) in a way that's pretty superfluous for "quieter" movies.

The mid-market drama has largely moved to TV because TV has proven it can do them really well, so top directors and actors, in their primes, will do TV. TV shows 20+ years ago didn't have the ambition, let alone the chops, to pull off storytelling as good as Deadwood, or Rectify, or Fleabag.

5. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

It was quite common pre-70s(?) sitcom practice that when we heard people's thought process, their audible thoughts were always drenched in heavy echo to make it more obvious that they were just thinking, which always made what they were thinking a little bit funnier for some reason.
    It was quite an effective little tactic, and I miss that.

j_rocker and Steve Litos like this.
  6. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Not having spoilers posted all over the internet the instant an episode is over.

7. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

One of the biggest problems now, though not a fault of the show, is spoilers through social media and even in the synopsis text boxes of the listings. Unless you watch it right as it airs or can completely tune out the descriptions, it seems like someone or something is going to give everything away before you see it. The social media aspect obviously applies more to hipper modern shows like Game of Thrones or Stranger Things. It's pretty annoying when you log into fb and it's a flood of major spoilers within hours, minutes, or even seconds of something airing.

Damien DiAngelo and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

I tend to binge watch shows years after their original airings. I doubt I'll ever do that with Game of Thrones, as it will be impossible to forget how it ended (after how it was beaten into my head over and over on social media, news outlets, etc.)!

bamaaudio likes this.
  9. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Marlo Thomas...

fr in sc, kdbrink and Gumboo like this.
  10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

A young Jaclyn Smith!

kdbrink likes this.
  11. greenscreened

An old Burt Mustin.

Gumboo and Michael like this.
  12. greenscreened

Being able to watch an entire TV show without having to view an unrelated animated moving image darting about on the bottom left of the the screen advertising what's coming up next, or even worse, next week on their channel, while solely or simultaneously having the station's logo tattooed on the bottom right of the screen during key scenes, or otherwise.
    What's next, serialized-episodic Burma Shave-type advertising on the top of the screen!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  13. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

That's what the promos within commercial breaks are for (no more, no less)!

greenscreened likes this.
  14. danielanderson2100

danielanderson2100 Active Member

Really not seen, but over the Another World logo, Bill Wolff(who was the announcer till 1987) says at the end of the "Lenore" and "Walter" wedding, "Wedding gowns by Murray Hamburger. We thank Bridals magazine for their assistance in this episode." That was unusual announcement for a soap. Don't forget "Wardrobe by Orbach's" too.

bmasters9 likes this.
  15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

70s or 80s?

16. danielanderson2100

bmasters9 likes this.
  17. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Didn't know they had it that far back!

18. danielanderson2100

Yeah. (example: 1968 AW episode, when Lenore was marrying Walter.) No logo on the screen either!]

[​IMG]

greenscreened likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the commercials...no erectile dysfunction commercials back then! LOL...plus all the sickening medical crap ...sick!

beat_truck, SandAndGlass and j_rocker like this.
  20. Michael

or in threads on the forums throughout! it's a mine field out there...one wrong click and BAM!!! you know the ending! LOL!

21. Michael

I loved him...he never seem to get older than he was...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. All Down The Line

Luckily we get very little of that in Australia!

SandAndGlass and Michael like this.
  23. Michael

you don't know how lucky you are! it is absolutely continuing disgusting filth ...shameless crap daily on commercial television...

24. All Down The Line

Maybe though in Hawaii in 92' I endured endless adverts for Dionne Warwick's Psychic Network!

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

LOL! O' yea... I remember them!

Matthew Tate likes this.