Things you miss from old tv shows that you don’t see anymore?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gill-man, Aug 15, 2018.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Plausible storyline development

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

The same thing occurred with The Flintstones. The theme for the First Season was an instrumental piece called "Rise And Shine" (you can still hear it as background music in some episodes), which was replaced by "Meet The Flintstones" in the Second Season, and replaced the original theme for the First Season in reruns.

Something I miss from old TV shows are true anthology shows like Love, American Style and The Twilight Zone. Although The Twilight Zone has been revived (twice), and anthology shows returned in the form of The Love Boat and Fantasy Island (which featured a regular cast and setting as a frame for the stories), it wasn't the same as the originals.

I also miss Summer Replacement Series. During the Summer, after the regular series had finished their first and second runs, the Networks would often run summer replacement series to see if they might find an audience. The one that comes to mind is Three's Company, which started out as a six-episode summer replacement series and was popular enough to become a regular series.

Another one that I remember was called A Year At The Top. The premise was the Son Of The Devil would make a deal with a performer for a year of fame and success in exchange for his soul. The series featured Greg Evigan (later in My Two Dads) and Paul Shaffer (later on Saturday Night Live and Late Night With David Letterman).

SomeCallMeTim and Steve Carras like this.
  3. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Binocular-cam shots

4. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Chiller Thrillers and Creature Features - scary movies on late at night on the weekend.

5. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I also miss the Midnight Special, Friday Night Videos, American Bandstand and Soul Train.

6. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

Big hair.

[​IMG]

TGAH FAN, genesim and rockclassics like this.
  7. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Variety shows, often with the star comedian/comedienne.
    Carol Burnett, Jack Benny, Red Skelton and many others. A little dancing, a little singing, some comedy sketches.
    I think the last true variety show was a summer replacement called: Presenting Susan Anton.

8. Me too! I loved Saturday morning's watching Bandstand and Soul Train. I also loved Dance Party U.S.A.
    I think a new dance show with music acts would be fun.

carrick doone and snowman872 like this.
  9. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

A little off topic but one annoying thing that has made it's way into today's "situation comedies" is the cast sitting around drinking beer. You would NEVER see that back in the day, how times have changed...

10. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Boat size cars parking right in front of the destination. Also cops solving cases by hitting the streets as opposed to watching security cam video. But there is the parking situation.

DaveySR and fr in sc like this.
  11. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Exactly what I was thinking....westerns.

I recently started watching METV all day on Saturdays and their back to back western shows from back in the day.

12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

13. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I miss pantyhose. Like...a lot.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dyland, SomeCallMeTim, CDV and 10 others like this.
  14. jimmytheshoe

jimmytheshoe Forum Resident

Dunno about that....30 years ago would be "back in the day".
    Cheers was set in a bar ;)

15. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Storyline-integrated commercials, featuring the cast of the show. Serious ones, not ironic ones.

"Did you know that that two teaspoons of Geritol contain twice the iron in a pound of calf's liver?"

- Kevin

16. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

The last few years I have been re-watching many of the T.V. shows that I watched as a kid. The more I watch them, the more I think to myself "Wow, I can't believe I actually liked this'. I can honestly say that I really don't miss anything. Then again I don't really like much that's on today so I probably won't be missing them either.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Roger Moore?

Jarleboy and Ginger Ale like this.
  18. alexpop

Westerns for a start.

19. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

It started with "Friends", they would sit around the living room all drinking beer . Obviously not "Cheers"as it was set in a bar.

20. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Comedy that doesn't rely solely on insults and vulgarity...quality westerns...action/adventure shows where a 5' woman doesn't knock a 6' man across the room with a single punch....men who are competent and intelligent... shows where you feel better and inspired after watching them...I don't know, I've pretty much stopped watching TV but those were some of the reasons I stopped.

21. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Set up intros like this:

22. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

It's rare that show's even last more than two season's without getting canned

Some really good one's that I've liked a lot have been given the Axe, which I don't understand since they were really good

But yet show's like "Big bang Theory" stick around and around...never understood how it did

I miss show's like "Fringe" and the "X-Files"

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  23. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

To me, no show is old unless it's black 'n' white: Decoy, Father Knows Best, The Saint, early Perry Mason.

I miss everything about those shows.

24. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

He was one of the Maverick boys: Brett (James Garner), Bart (Jack Kelly) Beau (Roger Moore) and Brent (Robert Colbert).

Ginger Ale likes this.
  25. alexpop

In the pic ?