Things you miss from old tv shows that you don’t see anymore?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gill-man, Aug 15, 2018.

1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Shows that had meaning and could actually teach you something "The Waltons", "Little House on the Prairie"

spanky1, Dyland, ben_wood and 9 others like this.
  2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I don't recall Moore ever having a mustache in Maverick, and I don't believe he and Garner were on the show at the same, as he was Garner's replacement. So I don't know if that photo posted above is Moore, but it sort of looks like him.

Edit: They did appear together on the show in 1959, but Moore was playing a different role and wasn't a Maverick.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  3. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I enjoy this theme so much and it really sums up what older shows were all about. There is so much positive energy, coping, clowning, brotherhood/sisterhood, innocence, and yes great music too!

Thanks for posting and reminding me what I love so much about older television!

j_rocker likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Prefered Maverick to Gunsmoke.

fr in sc likes this.
  5. alexpop

High Chaparral was the last good TV Western tv series, or was that Allias Smith and Jones?.

SandAndGlass, unclefred and GeoffC like this.
  6. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I liked High Chaparral. It was more gritty and realistic than Bonanza, where their clothes and hats were always spotless and had no dust. High Chaparral had John's 1st wife killed off in the beginning, and they had to often struggle to survive.

7. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Detective/mystery shows that didn't rely on a body being sawn in half. Bring back Ellery Queen!

8. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Not Roger Moore in the pic.

Photo of all the Warner Brothers Studio television western stars who had programs on ABC. From left: Will Hutchins (“Sugarfoot” Brewster-Sugarfoot), Peter Brown (Johnny McKay-Lawman), Jack Kelly (Bart Maverick-Maverick), Ty Hardin (Bronco Laine-Bronco), James Garner (Bret Maverick-Maverick), Wayde Preston (Christopher Colt-Colt .45), John Russell (Dan Troop-Lawman) Ref: Photo of all the Warner Brothers Studio television western stars who had programs on ABC. From left: Will Hutchins (“Sugarfoot” Brewster-Sugarfoot)… | Hollywoo…

Comet01 and trumpet sounds like this.
  9. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I miss more family oriented shows and lighter shows about love and relationships such as "Eight is Enough", "Love American Style", "Room 222" and "Love Boat."

Too much ugly vulgarity, insults, violence and profanity these days.

10. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

That was a great show! It was filmed in Old Tucson! Sadly the old High Chaparral set and most of the town was burned down in fire about 25 years ago. I believe I may still have a photo or two from the early 70's when I was kid taken near the old adobe.

dewey02 likes this.
  11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Couldn't have said it better myself. That theme always brought emotion to me. Sounds silly but it really did!

genesim likes this.
  12. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I wouldn’t return to the days before streaming services, but there was something to be said for having to sit in front of your tv at a particular hour on a particular night if there was a show you wanted to watch. And having to wait for the eventual rerun if you missed it. There was a communal vibe in knowing that everyone was watching a program together. The concept of ‘appointment tv’ and water cooler shows has been erased by advances in technology. The Beatles on Ed Sullivan wouldn’t have been as potent if the country hadn’t experienced them at the same moment. (For one thing, the crime rate in NYC wouldn’t have dropped that night.)

13. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

And The Streets of San Francisco!

14. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I guess the obvious answer from a wrestling fan's perspective would be the sense of mystery before wikipedia, social media, and modern internet in general. There's too much industry dirt out there for anyone to read and in a way it has kind of spoiled the entertainment.

buzzzx and genesim like this.
  15. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Ah yes ... Mr. Ed. An equine combination of Nietzsche and James Joyce. The life lessons I learned from that show as a lad have served me well.

16. Sternodox

Cute animals having anvils dropped on their heads and ducks whose beaks spun around after being shotgunned by hunters with speech impediments.

spanky1, nifticus, fr in sc and 7 others like this.
  17. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

The young Julie Newmar
    The young Diana Rigg
    The ageless Carolyn Jones

18. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

I agree with the person that said proper end credits. They're all shrunk and sped up while the next show/movie begins.

As a credits geek, I like to see, for instance, who did the guest voice on a Doc McStuffins episode, or who the character actor was in the film. It's impossible to tell anymore.

Yeah, they could possibly be looked up online, but that's not the point. IMO one of the unions should try to do something about it.

Jarleboy, John B Good and bmasters9 like this.
  19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

that rarely ever happened. usually the only time they were together was sitting in a coffee shop drinking coffee

Witchy Woman likes this.
  20. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

When stumbling into quicksand or ending up in the Bermuda Triangle were common threats to characters in all types of shows every few episodes.

Man, in the late ‘70s, some of the biggest threats to television characters were falling into quicksand, ending up in the Bermuda Triangle, or having killer bees swarm their cars!

21. alexpop

Saturated color.
    Laugh In

Dyland and Mesozoic Mike like this.
  22. Sternodox

Or Timmy falling into that dad-burned well.

dewey02, Jazzmonkie and fr in sc like this.
  23. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

A chief of the Homicide Dept. who rides around in a chauffeur-driven Rolls-Royce.

24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The family shows

Channels/sitcoms that actually showed sitcoms such as TV Land and Nick At Nite

beat_truck, dewey02 and fr in sc like this.
  25. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Yeah, oh boy that show was brutal.