Things you miss from old tv shows that you don’t see anymore?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gill-man, Aug 15, 2018.

1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Murdoch is still being made. But I get your point.

2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

I appreciate that agreement! BTW, here's, IMO, a great example of the way things used to be, from an ABC show called Ripley's Believe It Or Not!, from a 1983 broadcast of that same show (Columbia Pictures Television 80s Torch Lady at the end of it):

3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Who can name every actor in this photo?

I'll start you off - That's John Russell to the right.

4. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

Quality.

EdgardV likes this.
  5. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Is that Jeffrey Hunter immediately to the left of Garner?

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

7. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Men who talk/act like men. Too much soy milk out there now I guess.

8. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I loathe continuing story-lines. The writers just seem to be making it up
    as they go along. Give me a fresh story every week.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I wish TV sitcoms would return to using more than two or three sets, and used more physical acting instead of just dialogue. An old-fashioned laugh track would be a nice change over using a studio audience.

For dramas, i'm also tired of continuing stories. I understand a network wants to keep an audience, but if a show can't retain an audience with a strong ensemble and stories, maybe it shouldn't be on the air.

San and Mesozoic Mike like this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

TV stars who look like real people, like Roy! He co-hosted the Mickey Mouse Club for three years. Can you imagine seeing a mug like that today on TV?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Archie Bunker from "All In The Family". Nowadays you cant say anything like he did on TV.

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Prior to Sopranos we were missing pacing, humor, unpredictability, multidimensionality, and several other things that not even old TV shows could achieve. After that there was a tremendous leap forward in shows that took many of them beyond what was possible even in movies.

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Johnny Carson
    Jackie Gleason
    Red Skelton
    Dean Martin
    Rowan and Martin

14. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

That's pretty much how it's been w/The Streets of San Francisco, for one-- outside of that "Thrill Killers" fifth-and-final-season two-parter, which I haven't made it to yet, every show I've seen on DVD of that 1972-77 ABC police/detective series has been a single story.

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Hearing the words, "This has been a Filmways presentation, Darling"

16. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Or, on QM shows, "(name of show), a Quinn Martin Production...starring (names of cast members)...with guest stars (insert where applicable)...tonight's episode, (episode name)."

This wasn't on all QM shows all the time, though-- Cannon (w/the late, great William Conrad as Frank Cannon) didn't have the spoken QM credit until the fifth and final go of that one (1975-76).

Here's an example, from a third-season episode of The Streets of San Francisco called "Mister Nobody," OAD 12/19/74 on ABC:

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

And the way they spoke the title so ominously, like one of the plagues of Egypt: "Tonight's episode: Death Walks Behind Us"

18. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Sorry can't agree with this or the last sentence especially. While I admit there is a lot of crap quality movies, the best of the best, TV shows aren't even close.

19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

one more thing.....................

[​IMG]

20. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Mr Ed: A Neighilist.

21. anti PC.

anti PC. Forum Resident

22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I can make an argument that shows like Sopranos, GoT, The Wire and to a lesser extent Breaking Bad are close and because they have a dozen or more hours over the course of a season, they can surpass what is possible with even a trilogy of good movies. Prior to 2000 I would have agreed with you. But the quality of writing, acting and directing in HBO shows in particular meets or exceeds that of most films. Heck, take even a not-so-serious show like Entourage for example. The pacing and humor of the show was far better than the movie turned out to be.

Jarleboy, nifticus, Dan C and 2 others like this.
  23. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I could care less about wholesomeness and language. But I miss themes sung by the characters.

But I also think tv these days has a lot that we would have envied in the day. Shows like Happy Days and Lavern and Shirley and dozens of others running on fumes and not being cancelled; short, tight seasons instead of long, sprawling ones with unrelated episodes and little continuity; story arcs in general, although some shows had them (Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres did to some extent)...

Vidiot likes this.
  24. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Dancing Sticks

25. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Theme songs that tell you everything you need to know about the premise of the show.

McLover likes this.