Thinking about getting a CD/SACD transport

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by heathen, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

The Oppo doesn't have an I2S output. It has an HDMI output to send the DSD signal. It will absolutely pass unconverted signal to something like the Bryston over the HDMI output. Per the info from their site below, it only converts it to PCM if it determines the connected device doesn't support DSD.

OPPO players and the fabled DSD format - OPPO Digital Australia

DSD Output via HDMI:

If your A/V receiver or audio processor supports native DSD, your OPPO player can send DSD signal over HDMI to the A/V receiver or audio processor. You should connect the HDMI 2 port of the player to your A/V receiver or audio processor since the HDMI 1 port does not transmit DSD signal. The following settings in the player's setup menu should be used:

• Playback Setup - SACD Priority: set to Multi-Channel or Stereo based on your preference
    • Audio Format Setup - SACD Output: set to DSD or Auto (Auto is available for firmware version BDP10XAU-67-1120B or later)
    The OPPO player will automatically convert DSD into PCM if it determines that a connected device does not support DSD. Usually your A/V receiver or audio processor will have an indication on its front panel showing whether the device is getting DSD signal.

mreeter likes this.
  2. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Yes, I stand corrected. The OPPO Mod that I posted provides an extra I2s Output through a vent hole in the back of the unit, I forgot to mention that. This for Two Channel Audio only.

IGD Positive likes this.
  3. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I agree with this. I have a friend (on this forum) who has a very high end system and he has the PS Audio combination. Absolutely the best digital I have ever heard.

4. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

Yes, 10k has pucker factor. Mind you, at current prices for an used Oppo 205 at 3k and the latest Bryston BDA-3x at 5k could well make your eyes water too.

Cheers,
    Robert

5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

That depends. If you are doing any kind of DSP-subwoofer crossover, time alignment, room correction then at some point the DSD data MUST be converted to PCM. And the sonic benefits of those things I'd say outweigh any small detriment of DSD-PCM conversion. I suspect an awful lot of SACD titles actually have some PCM lurking inside, since otherwise you cannot master or mix or do anything at all.

(There IS a thing called for mixing called "DSD-Wide" but it is more than one bit hence it is not pure DSD any more, it is really PCM with a marketing name attached).

Sterling1 likes this.
  6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

DSD-Wide is not PCM, but multi-level sigma-delta modulation.

head_unit likes this.
  7. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Yes. Too bad that there are so few of such DACs.
    Still very few and of varying configuration.

mreeter and head_unit like this.
  8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Not PCM like CD that's true. I should have said a hybrid; anyway it is not DSD as Sony might have liked people to think, in those rare moments where they actually made some minute effort to promote SACD.

9. Transport dude

Transport dude New Member

i'm quite interested in this. I want to change to a NAD M33 which has limited analogue inputs, so my SACD player has nowhere to go bar digital. I assume bar being PCM, it is proper high definition audio, to the level of the SACD? Can you explain what I need and how it works? Thanks in advance, really appreciate your help.

10. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

The post you quote by TarnishedEars is old and outdated.

Current cheap HDMI de embedders now allow you to send DSD to an external DAC a couple of ways with no degradation in SQ.
    1. Via i2S
    2. Using the DoP protocol over SPDIF
    Article: At Long Last! Listen To Your (Physical) SACDs Through an Outboard DAC

I know both ways can work because I tried them with my OPPO 205 and external DAC.
    The DoP over SPDIF method is best as it allows the use of a larger range of DACS.

There is also a much more expensive solution called the Geerfab D.B.O.B.
    GeerFab Audio - GeerFab

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    LERA, PATB, soundQman and 1 other person like this.
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm very interested in this. After reading through the provided link from Audiophile Style I had a question. Which HDMI embedder do you use? I ask as it seems that some do not work well with i2S DACs. Thanks!

12. Transport dude

Transport dude New Member

is there any way of doing normal SACD players?

13. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I too have a P6. Now, here's the problem with the P6, it has no HDMI input and since SACD is only output digitally via HDMI from a CD/SACD transport it will not connect to the P6. So, buy the Sony UBP-X1100ES Player. It has an internal DAC which decodes DSD an outputs via stereo RCAs, which of course can be connected to your P6.

14. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Yes, Sony UBP-X1100ES.

15. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Not tricky at all anymore from receivers like the Marantz NR1200. It has HDMI input and a DSD DAC. Just send SACD DSD output via HDMI from a Sony UBP-X800II to the Marantz to enjoy stereo SACDs/Direct DSD to analog. As you said the P6 can not work for the OP because it has no HDMI input; however, it does convert DSD to analog via usb connection to source component.

16. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Yes.

17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Yes, I have one of those...it’s fabulous for Redbook, but nothing else.

siebrand likes this.
  18. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Sony UBD Players, like the UBP-X800II can deliver DSD via its audio HDMI output. I am using one connected to a Marantz NR1200 to listen to stereo SACDs.

19. Henry J

Henry J If you get confused, listen to the music play

Pardon my ignorance here, I am trying to wrap my around this.
    I have the similar transport sony (ubp-800) that is a transport only.
    I understand that my sacd's convert to pcm. However i also have an older denon 2910 w/built in dac to an old preamp via rca. I believed that this was pcm output as well since my pre does not have anything near an hdmi. The sony seems to sound better with .dsd files via an external hdd, but my dac definitely shows them an pcm, since I am not using a usb.
    Make any sense?

20. Henry J

Henry J If you get confused, listen to the music play

How much actual quality is lost when converted to pcm?
    Drastic?
    A tiny bit?
    Can't really tell for most listeners?

21. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Accuphase makes some nice CD/SACD players...

art likes this.
  22. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

This old Thread should help.........Problem was solved by Post #10
    Sony UBP-x800 - DSD Question

Re bolded text..........If you were playing SACD's hooked up at RCA level with your Denon 2910 (and all settings were correct) you would
    have got DSD regardless of Pre amp or HDMI as the Denon's DAC was handling it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Henry J likes this.
  23. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Problem is you will probably get equal responses for each option.........:laugh:
    Anyway.......for me it's not the First one!!!

24. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I have a Sony UBP-X800II. SACD is output via HDMI, selectable as DSD or PCM. That's it.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Do you have a second system? I ask as you mention having a Parasound P6 and was wondering how the Marantz NR1200 is implemented if in the same system

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.