Thinking about......Stevie Wonder

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kieran White, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

That song isn't actually that bad. It would be much better if it were a third shorter in length and if it didn't sound he was singing over a Casio keyboard preset.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

This CD is a great way to get 20 essential songs from the years leading up to the 70s. Great mastering by John Matousek, too!

3. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

Stevie Wonder's music was absolutely brilliant in the 70's.... (and a little bit in the 80's, tho less so) I can't say I've heard every note of every album since hotter then july but sadly, I think that run of albums from 1972-76 will remain an absolute high point. Like Joni Mitchell and David Bowie , just to name two others- their 70's output was incomparably excellent, and sadly, much more spotty since then. not to say there weren't some great songs by all three since, but it hasn't been the same.

ALso, I think Stevie was the real deal and his songs will live for a long time- someone mentioned Prince, to be honest, I always found Prince overrated and I don't think he's going to stand the test of time-- but maybe that's just me.

4. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

ARK, Binni, Jarleboy and 3 others like this.
  5. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

[​IMG] I'm surprised no mention yet(unless I missed it) of his first LP of all originals from '71. Not quite up to the level of the next several that would follow, but this one clearly showed a new and a much more independent direction he would take.

6. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

For your listening pleasure... Superstitious:

7. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

At his peak, he was amongst giants like Marvin and Curtis. I love Innervisions but SITKOL has a number of my favorites like “Sir Duke,” “Pastime Paradise” and “Isn’t She Lovely.” If its main sin was being too long, I think it should be forgiven.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    ARK, limoges, Jarleboy and 1 other person like this.
  8. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

don't sleep on Fulfillingness.....it's full of slow burners that will stay with you, brilliant album

Suncola, ARK, Michael Macrone and 5 others like this.
  9. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

One of my many favorites from him is Golden Lady. Incredible song.

10. Kieran White

Kieran White Forum Resident Thread Starter

11. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Thanks for making that clear - I'd never heard that. The point seldom gets mentioned when people knock the album. You're right - it means it shouldn't be judged alongside the regular albums.

12. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Is there a decent CD edition of Songs in the Key of Life?

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Yes, it doesn't have any clear classics that jump out at you, like on Talking Book or Innervisions, but there's a soothing wholeness to it.

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I found the original (two separate jewel boxes) CD set recently. It's fine as far as I know.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Hard to believe that the great Stevie Wonder could be a part of three of the all-time worst songs ever (and NO, I will not hide for saying this, because it's the truth!) ...

"I Just Called To Say I Love You" (Sure, it was adored by many, but those same people probably loved Debby Boone's "You LIght Up My LIfe". This ridiculous excuse of a song was cringe worthy of such a talented artist who we ALL knew could do better!)

"Ebony & Ivory" (This one, with Paul McCartney, proved that two of the all-time greatest songwriters ever could write pure drivel, if given the chance. Again, this is cringe worthy songwriting at it's lyrical best, in my opinion.)

and finally, just to add insult to his already provided above injury, Stevie was a part of "That's What Friends Are For". (Do I really even need to bother and explain just why this sappy piece of horse dung was so popular with the "radio listeners and their passion of repetition of the same crap over and over again" and why today's radio sucks a$$. "Video" didn't kill the radio star, repetition and songs like the three above did!

16. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I found a set as well (on Tamla) NM for 2.00 each disc. They sound pretty darn good to me. For CD's ... I also have an old fat box set on Motown. I have not played it in years as I tend to go for one of the LP sets I have, but I remember it sounding pretty good too.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Chris C

On a more positive note from my #65 post ...

I'm all on board with almost every hit single that Stevie gave us in the '60's and the albums from "Where I'm Coming From" through most of "Secret Life Of Plants". That is just great stuff!!!

I found some keepers on his last album "A Time 4 Love" (Shelter In The Rain, Passionate Raindrops and a few others)

Some of you may have missed this song called "Faith", cut for the "Sing" Soundtrack (circa 2018 or so?), which is kind of hip and a fun little track on it's own ...

18. Chris C

Around 2000, Stevie gave away a quite promising new song to a Duets album for Diane Schurr (Friends For Schurr) ...

limoges and Jarleboy like this.
  19. Chris C

This is still one of my favorite singles of his ...

That Girl

somnar, ARK, Jarleboy and 1 other person like this.
  20. Chris C

And this is easily one of my favorite album tracks of his ...

Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer

21. I was channel surfing on TV a year or so ago and came upon some musical variety thing. John Legend was sitting at the piano performing one of his hits, and there were about half a dozen people standing around the piano listening and grooving. One of them was Stevie Wonder. I thought Christ, Stevie should be at the keyboard, and John Legend should be listening to him.

Jarleboy and Bnk like this.
  22. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

When I heard his hit 'Ordinary People', it was quite clear to me that John had been listening to 'My Cherie Amour'.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

Ray insisted on it to be part of the show. :D

Bob's version is they came up with a pipe dream to get Ray to be a guest and called him without expectations, and Ray was fully on board as long as he was in the stunt.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    pbuzby, Jarleboy and George P like this.
  24. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

That continued long after the 1970s. A Time To Love is among his best albums.

Stevie Wonder, Positivity

maccafan and Jarleboy like this.
  25. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

I think it'd be fair to say that he definitely surpassed both Marvin and Curtis. Stevie Wonder undoubtedly produced more classic albums than Marvin Gaye and had constant hits throughout the 70's. Don't know too much about Curtis Mayfield's work to be honest though.