Third Man Records Vault 38 (Raconteurs Consolers Of The Lonely)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by djej, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djej

djej Forum Resident Thread Starter

Vault #38: THE RACONTEURS CONSOLERS OF THE LONEY

Vault #38: THE RACONTEURS CONSOLERS OF THE LONELY
    8 October 2018

[​IMG]
    DEADLINE: October 31st at Midnight CT. Sign up NOW at thirdmanrecords.com/vault

"Daddy, will you tell me the story about the chickens again?"

Inauspiciously, in an off-the-mic comment, begins the wonderful opus of Consolers of the Lonely, the critically-lauded, fan-adored, Grammy Award-winning sophomore LP from the beloved quartet known as the Raconteurs.

Before surprise releases were common, the Raconteurs ambushed the world with the sudden, unannounced release of Consolers of the Lonely on March 25th, 2008… a time when coordinating a worldwide physical and digital surprise release was even less easily accomplished than it is today.

Internally referred to as “The Plug-Ins” at Warner Brothers so as to prevent information leaking, the album takes its title from an inscription on the frieze of a Washington D.C. post office and finds the Raconteurs at their mightiest, exploring what it means to be a rock band in the classic sense, full-on bombastic horn arrangements and gut-wrenching murder ballads sit side-by-side and while the swagger and confidence of riffs and licks for days firmly establish this album as one of the pre-eminent releases of the aughts.

To celebrate ten years since the release of Consolers of the Lonely, Third Man Records is beyond honored to reissue this noteworthy album. Pressed on incredibly unique magnificent copper foil vinyl, this is the first time the double LP has EVER been made available on colored vinyl. Coupled with a slightly re-imagined front cover highlighting new metallic accents to the iconic tintype image (after all, tin IS the traditional gift for a 10 year anniversary), this release was mastered directly from the original 1” master tapes and lovingly pressed at Third Man Pressing in Detroit, Michigan.

For our 7" for this package, we have something very special: the first NEW songs in ten years from recent sessions that will ultimately result in a new Raconteurs album in 2019!! That's right, we're not giving you track titles or even letting your hear a snippet. You'll have to wait until this package hits your doorstep.
    The time for you all to get pretty dang excited about what is to come next year begins right... NOW!

Lastly, this very special Vault celebration of all things old and new of The Raconteurs will include a 4"x4" Copper and Black "R" Insignia embroidered patch for your rocker jean jacket and a set of four 2.5" Brushed Silver stickers featuring art from Consolers of the Lonely.

DEADLINE: October 31st at Midnight CT. Sign up NOW at thirdmanrecords.com/vault

2. I'm over the Vault stuff myself. I like the earlier hard to find releases when not a lot of people were Vault subscribers and it was more of a music/collectors thing, but now you can get the newer vault packages on the secondary market at low prices if your patient and look since so many folks are subscribers now.

This release looks interesting, but not I'm not going to rejoin to get it.

Michael Rose likes this.
  3. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Best thing about this is the announcement that there will be a new Raconteurs release next year.

Haggis Wampovich, DPK, gonz and 8 others like this.
  4. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

The news of a new Raconteurs album coming next year is good. But the original album was mastered by Kevin Gray, can’t imagine it’s gonna sound better on whatever colour vinyl.

scotti, gonz and baroquehoedown33 like this.
  5. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

On the fence about this one - Consolers of the Lonely may be my favorite Jack White album and a new single sounds nice. Though $60 bucks for that seems a bit steep considering neither of the other items seems all that interesting.

jpmosu likes this.
  6. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Me too, I think one additional 45 would put me over. Those lps look really nice and will probably sound great. When they don’t mention a special box that means there won’t be one right?

SBegonias17 likes this.
  7. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Such a great album--I agree with SBegonias17 in that this may be my favorite Jack White release.

SBegonias17 likes this.
  8. SBegonias17

Agreed, one more 45 would be enough to justify it. Right now, I'm like this is a $40 package being sold for $60 for no real good reason.

9. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

...best of his side projects, yes! This band absolutely smoked live too.

10. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

ya bonus items a bit meh fortunately I do not have the album on vinyl so good for me. definitely most exciting for a new album and hopefully tour next year!

11. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Copper, my favorite color, added to the fact that I don't have this on vinyl made this a must buy item (over-priced or not).

Troxad likes this.
  12. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Will buy it, but I think it should be a box set with more bonus content, a la Icky Thump X.

Troxad likes this.
  13. Troxad

Troxad Forum Resident

I wish they'd stop including things like flags, patches, and stickers, and just drop the price a little. Fortunately, I don't own this album in any format, and it has been on my wish list for a long time, so I may get it.

14. veon

veon Forum Resident

Excited to hear new tracks from this band! Really liked both of their records- Jack and Benson are great foils for each other.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  15. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

Really excited about new stuff. My wife and I saw them ha k to back nights at the 930 club in DC when she was preganant with our first daughter and it killed. I love Patrick Keller the drummer.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  16. baroquehoedown33

baroquehoedown33 Electro-synthemagnetic musical dork

This looks cool. I am very eager to hear what the new Racs music sounds like. Jack has gone all over the map with the three solo albums and his Dead Weather adventures. Hopefully there will be a Raconteurs tour, too!

I like that this I getting a colored vinyl release, but much like the vault "Icky Thump X" edition, this can't possibly surpass the mastering of the original. Kevin Gray is one of the best. (As is our host, of course. Mr. Hoffman's job on the original "Icky Thump" is one of the top 3 best sounding LPs in my collection.)

Troxad, Joe Spivey and SoundDoctor like this.
  17. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

I love The Raconteurs! Definitely in for this one. This album is the reason I became a fan of Jack White and his projects. It is still his best work in my opinion. Brendan Benson's too! If they tour the UK, I'm there!!

Troxad likes this.
  18. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Been dreaming/hoping/wishing of, and for, new material by the raconteurs!

Will not buy this set though.

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Don’t need it, but what the hell.

gonz likes this.
  20. SBegonias17

I ended up biting and ordering. The vinyl on the test pressing looks cool and this is my favorite Jack White album/project.

Troxad likes this.
  21. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Same boat. That color is gorgeous!

22. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident

I'm relieved this is not a White Stripes package as it lets me off the hook for this quarter.
    To many other great releases coming out to compete for my $$$.

TC

SoundDoctor likes this.
  23. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I agree, but they’re not going to drop the price. They used to include DVDs with some vault packages. I wish they would go back to that. I threw the flag from the last vault package out without even opening it.

Troxad and SoundDoctor like this.
  24. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Looking forward to this one!

Troxad and SoundDoctor like this.
  25. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

When is this supposed to ship?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.