‘Third time’s a charm’ albums.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Osthagen, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Well it’s hard to say it took 3 albums for Jimi to get up to speed. It’s certainly a charm though!

Folknik, DTK and dylankicks like this.
  2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The Kinks - Kontroversy
    Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque
    Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality

3. John Harchar

In a sense you could say 2112 is the third time for the Lee-Lifeson-Pearl trio. Hard to say that Caress of Steel was Rush hitting its stride, whatever it’s positive qualities are.

4. John Harchar

Eagles-On the Border, switching from Glyn to Bill made a difference.

Billy Joel is a tough one. Streetlife Serenade is a solid album though he thinks it’s got its share of clunkers. But leave aside Cold Spring Harbor, Tirnstiles is definitely Billy Joel finding his full voice.

carlwm likes this.
  5. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Slippery When Wet. Bon Jovi

Osthagen likes this.
  6. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Hothouse Flowers - Songs From the Rain
    Chris Isaak - Heart Shaped World

7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

“Toys In the Attic”

Aerosmith

8. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

was looking for it as well

Kassonica and Folknik like this.
  9. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Herb Alpert’s Tijuana Brass - South Of The Border

Frank Sinatra at Capitol - In The Wee Small Hours

zen and Folknik like this.
  10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Vanilla Fudge - Renaissance. Many consider their first album to be their high point, but it was a whole album of covers (although radically reinvented ones). The 2nd, The Beat Goes On, was considered by most people (including the guys in the band) to be a serious misstep, although I enjoy it for what it is. Renaissance, IMO, is their zenith, consisting of 5 outstanding originals and 2 inspired covers (including the scariest version of "Season of the Witch" on record).

ralphb likes this.
  11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Jim Croce - I Got A Name. If we don't count his 1966 independent locally released debut Facets or his 1969 duo album with his wife Ingrid, I Got a Name was the 3rd, last, and best of his 3 major label solo albums. It was recorded shortly before his death but released shortly afterward.

12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Every Picture Tells A Story was certainly the blockbuster, but I like Gasoline Alley just as much.

foam55 likes this.
  13. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

One of the best albums of the 60's, perfect combination of heavy psych and prog.

Folknik likes this.
  14. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Some of these are head scratchers...saying 'Third' is when Big Star "hit the nail on the head" would be like saying Lennon hit it out the park with 'Wedding Album'. But, hey, to each his own.

I'll get some disagreement but I'd say '..Goldrush' was Neil's strongest LP to that point.

ajsmith likes this.
  15. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

Huey Lewis and the News - Sports

16. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Sorry DD, but I think their 2nd Album, 'Modern Life is Rubbish' is equal to if not actually better than 'Parklife'.

17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Sleater-Kinney.

18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

This was when the rot started in for me, after two excellent albums.

Should have been called Slippery Slope.

19. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

It was a tough call for me, too. In the end, Parklife just has so many great songs on it.

D.D.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  20. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Well sales and popularity say otherwise.

They only play live Runaway from the first two albums.

21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yeah, the masses are always right.

22. zen

zen Senior Member

Stray Cats Built for Speed

Essentially a compilation album taken from the band's first two UK album releases.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  23. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

They Might Be Giants. (Unless you were local, and "Flood" was their fourth... but to the rest of us. :-D)

24. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Kate Bush - Never For Ever: her debut is a rather weak album imo and while Lionheart is much, much better, it was on Never For Ever that she really came into her own and found somewhat of an atnospheric trademark to her songs, creating moods that would often recur on her albums throughout the 1980s, making her third album probably her most important in style.

Genesis - Nursery Cryme: FGTR had been their entry ticket to the business and Trespass their first exercise in prog which sounded charming and quite lovely, but overly chaotic to my ears. Nursery Cryme offers a really powerful lineup of songs, completes the classic lineup by adding Phil and Steve to the other members and has a much, much more forceful production than the first two albums, making this their first in a streak of highlights lasting up to 1980.

Peter Gabriel III: The first two albums are all over the place, musically, and don't seem to find anything that holds them together, sound-wise. PGIII took the best of those first two albums (the dark tones of the second album and the first album's possibility to come up with some moments that are actually catchy) and combined those elements to a slick production that's full of madness and made Peter Gabriel a star as a solo artist. Plus, it features Phil Collins on drums and Kate Bush as a backing vocalist, two recurring musicians on Gabriel's albums.

25. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The Wedding Album

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.