91st Academy Awards (2019)-This is going to be the best Oscars ever!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

... because I just looked at the SAG award nominations, and realized (somewhat surprised) there isn't a single film or performance I care a whit about. Finally, an Oscar broadcast without any suspense or disappointment! Yah!

WLL, RSteven, Jazzmonkie and 6 others like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Given that the Christmas releases haven't come out yet, that some of what I suspect will be the best films of the year haven't even been screened for critics yet, you shouldn't start dancing on its grave yet.

Mazzy likes this.
  3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

It's pretty rare for me to have seen any of the major nominees before they are announced. Usually if I see any of them, it's within the month leading up to the Oscars. This year is probably an exception as I've seen quite a few that are assumed to be in the running.

4. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

have lost all interest

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ditto. And for many a year( stroke /decade, sadly).

AceFrehleyJr and ssmith3046 like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

My wife, who sees 300-plus films in the theater every year, is of the opinion that there's never been a weak year for movies.

7. Judging by the Ratings, you are not alone.

I gave up about a Decade ago

8. Hollywood giving awards to itself. Why anyone outside of the industry has ever cared about them is beyond me.

inperson, Jrr, sami and 15 others like this.
  9. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Once upon a time, these were a big deal, and you looked forward to seeing your favorite stars.

10. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

But they’re certainly not all equally good.

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Does Clint Eastwood's "The Mule" have a shot? Trailer looks pretty good.

12. Chris DeVoe

Of course not, but it's annoying to be told but there are "no good movies" by people who probably haven't seen a dozen films in the theater in a year.

She hasn't made her top 10 films of the year list yet because there are still so many film she needs to see. December is always heavily loaded with top films.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah that used to be exciting. To see your fav actress live! But now the Internet is one big gossip magazine and we have to know about every inch of their lives 24 seven. Plus you can also see them completely naked on the Internet 24/7 So who cares about a little Runway cleavage anymore? :D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  14. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

wait...just curious...not trying to pry. Can you give more details here...is she a critic/reviewer...in the business...just loves movies? 300+ is a lot man.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

that is a weird one.

somehow i just feel that the trailer for this basically tells the whole story and that you just know clint will come out on top in the end.

16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

It's telling that the biggest question about the show has nothing to do with film, but about who's going to be the host! Apparently, nobody wants the job!

17. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Interesting. I'm a life-long film buff and every now and then I do think weak years happen. I wasn't a big fan of 2017 overall, my favorites were all genre films that had no shot at the Oscars. I've really loved this year though.

18. Chris DeVoe

Just loves movies.

She doesn't watch TV - every night after work, instead of coming home, plopping on the couch and vegging out, she goes to a movie theater. Between the AMC Stubs A-List which gets her into three films a week for $19.95 a month, membership in two art houses, the Gene Siskel Film Center and the Music Box, various free preview screenings, the Stubs program's "$5 Tuesdays" and finding an excellent first run theater with tickets that are as low as $4.49 she spends no more to see a film every single night than most people pay for cable.

Yesterday, she saw Mary Queen of Scots. The night before, a tiny indie film directed by Karen Gillian called The Party's Just Beginning. The night before that was the 1945 film Detour at the Siskel. It helps that she has tremendously wide-ranging tastes.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Chris from Chicago and Mad Dog like this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Absolutely! My favorite film so far this year was Bodied, which played at one theater in Chicago for one week. My favorite of last year was Brigsby Bear which also got no attention.

The people who complain about there being no good films are usually only looking at the films that have been heavily advertised to them.

mikeyt likes this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This could be the first year I’ve seen exactly zero of the movies nominated. Well, maybe one if “Bohemian Rhapsody” gets any. I imagine Rami Malek will for “Best Actor”. That’ll be it.

21. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Just looked up Bodied and now it's on my list to see. Thanks for the tip! I hadn't heard of it before. I did work with the star Calum Worthy a couple years ago and he's a real stand-up guy. My favorite this year might be Blindspotting, last year it was honestly John Wick 2 (SO MUCH FUN).

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Agreed. There are always good films, mediocre films, and bad films. We tend to look back and think this period or that period was better, but that's because we don't remember 95% of the films from those periods.

Award shows have only a casual association with the quality of films. It's better to think of them as entertainment and fashion shows than arbiters of meaningful work.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Agree w this. Lots of great movies. But all don’t get out where everyone lives unless you are in cities that have good indie foreign screens.

It’s the same as folks saying there is no good music being released today. Great stuff out there if you open your eyes and ears and search a bit.

sberger and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

His character arc in this film is nothing short of amazing.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Ooh, I just can't wait for the annual montage that shows David Niven and the streaker ONE MORE TIME, while Littlefeather gets cut (for time, I guess...awwww...) :goodie:

(and my annual rant about howcum you can get an Emmy for directing The Oscars, but you can't get an Oscar for directing The Emmys)("-aaaand, bring up stage mic, cue host...")

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.