91st Academy Awards (2019)-This is going to be the best Oscars ever!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nekkid? Photo shop. I'm sure the real actors are flattered.

2. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

The Fappening was real.

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

It's not so much a matter of "good" films as much as it is a matter of "important" films. I think that's what at least some people are driving at when they describe certain years as being "weak". The movies you mention were more or less forgotten during their opening week of release, and their chances of gaining a following somewhere down the road remain pretty slim in this overcrowded marketplace. Meanwhile, the films that are being touted as "important" don't seem to be groundbreaking in the historical sense.

Someone else mentioned music and I think the same general concept applies. Quality is out there if you look for it, but it's quality of a more subjective or even hyperbolic variety. The climate that produced artistic achievements on the level of The Godfather or even Pulp Fiction seems to have all but disappeared. In its place is a wide gap between what's popular to the masses and what's artistically groundbreaking to the individual (with some exceptions, naturally).

arley likes this.
  4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

It’s different for me. Last year I saw a bunch of movies I thought were Oscar-worthy. This year the only one so far (for me) is Widows, and yet despite stellar reviews it’s barely getting nominated for anything!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

There are a number of factors at work here. For instance, while the major studios have become enormously risk adverse, tiny studios have had to seek out alternative funding. And that usually means "day and date" release in both theaters and via streaming. Which means the film will get the contractually minimum number of days in the fewest theaters and no advertising co-op. That's what happened to Bodied. The Oscars is a production of the Motion Picture Association of America, and they don't like that. So groundbreaking films don't get much attention, and also have no money for "for your consideration" campaigns. So of course they don't get nominated for much.

6. alexpop

I liked the 1970s Oscars John Wayne, Kirk Douglas etc..

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Hasn't been Oscars since Jack stopped showing up.

[​IMG]

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

*cough* JLaw

9. Chris DeVoe

Would you like a holographic Duke?

alexpop likes this.
  10. live evil

live evil Senior Member

You’re lucky that you live in a large city with many options. I’m not much into movies, but here in Cincinnati, a decent sized city, we have 1 arthouse theater with a total of 3 screens. All of the other theaters are major chains, and we usually have a choice of the latest Marvel movie playing on 7 of 8 screens at each location.

11. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I have to ask, is your wife in the movie industry in some form? This is a tremendous dedication to film. When I was with a woman who was a writer and AD we saw all the mainstream and some art films but not 300. And Oscar night was a big deal among our film friends.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

No, she's never been involved in the movie industry in any way, although she'd be a brilliant casting agent, as she has a real gift for remembering faces.

She tries to see every film nominated in every category, including foreign language, shorts and all the artistic categories (often wrongly called the "technical" categories.)

Her record was 476 films in one year, but that was when she took her vacation to coincide with the Chicago International Film Festival.

The Gene Siskel Film Center has been the one thing that has made it most possible for her to see all the older films and so many of the tiny arthouse films that she missed years ago.

carrick doone and mikeyt like this.
  13. alexpop

An emphatic yes.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

I'll call Andy Sirkus and let him know to get his motion capture suit dry-cleaned.

Mirrorblade.1 and alexpop like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

I just spoke to my wife back home, she's of course rushing off to see another film. There was a Christmas party at her work today, and one of her co-workers was of the opinion that "they just don't make good films anymore" - an opinion based on absolutely nothing, as the last film he saw in the theater was Waking Ned Devine.

carrick doone likes this.
  16. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

He sounds like me regarding today’s music... :laugh:

17. Chris DeVoe

I presume "old farts disease" exists not just with music and movies, but with books as well.

carrick doone and Monosterio like this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Why the hell aren't they producing 360 degree movies? I want VR 360 films. What if I could be in Don Corleone's office, sit in an overstuffed chair and watch all of Tom Hagen's reactions as Brando spoke. Pick my own close ups! I was looking at what this new Rylo camera does -- it shoots in 360 degrees and you use software to pan, track, and choose where to focus after the fact. Amazing. No more losing something out of frame! I will film my next movie in 360 and viewers will have their eyes tracked to create an immersive experience, but I think viewers will naturally gravitate toward the center of action, xo you're still proscenium arch centric, but imagine the thrill of bricks flying wide to your left or right! Probably dispense with tripod and camera altogether. My cinematographer will be a drone operator, no matting out crew later. There's a LOT that could done with movies. They may lose their traditional time manipulation structure and certainly their cubist edited reality, and become more Hyper-Realistic (in the fashion of Cuaron and Iñárritu) with more real-time action and maybe "breaks" (blackouts?) between settings. Imagine an immersive 360-degree "The Hateful Eight (your favorite). Now there's a perfect, VR movie. Move in and out of the characters. Focus on Michael Madsen picking his butt on the cot. Bruce Dern seething for a full five minutes. Rewatch it and see people beneath floorboards. Much to be done with virtual entertainment media. But if I had a Rylo and a couple actors I'd go break the rules tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  19. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Never. I rarely watch movies. I got things to do.......

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I could not watch them any longer when Kimmel was the host..it sickened me and I've lost interest even before that...glad it's host changed for the better...

21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I love the Oscars. Havent missed one....the movies nommed aren't what they once were but the performances are often fantastic.

nic cage in the front row.....? good times, good times

BZync and Daniel Plainview like this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I disagree, I think it's an opinion based on HBO.

I'm liking the M! Movies Channel on cable, though. Except I had to watch "Life With Father" which is what life will be like when I go to Hell: Everything will be in black and white, there won't be a bottle or cigarette or whiff of a panty in the universe, and all my siblings will be chatty and forthright, starched, and un-punchable, and these thundering, bigger than life MOTHER and FATHER zombies will be constantly correcting me . Hell. I've seen my own Hell.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

\\

that's the future....kids will eventually look at a 60 inch HD tv like we do at an old silent flipcard movie

Ghostworld likes this.
  24. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

It could have been, at least until the PC'd Kevin Hart out of the hosting job.

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yes, decades for me.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.