91st Academy Awards (2019)-This is going to be the best Oscars ever!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Kinda sad indictment, but I agree.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  2. arley

arley Forum Resident

Well, with the shenanigans reported about Weinstein, Spacey et. al., Hollywood has lost all authority to lecture us about anything. So maybe the Oscar broadcast will go light on the politics this year.

That clip of Jack and Meryl applauding is, IIRC, an ovation for Roman Polanski's win for The Pianist. I don't know; if I were in the audience it would be hard for me to clap for someone who gave a 13 year old girl a Quaalude and then did some horrible stuff to her against her will. But hey, he's an artist and that trumps everything. So Hollywood can take their self-congratulatory extravaganza and shove it.

3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I certainly never watch it - it's interminable. My only interest this year is to see how they treat "Hereditary" and particularly Toni Collette's performance.

4. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

As for the Oscars, I just thing of Steely Dan and Showbiz Kids.

5. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Hats off to her for her dedication. That is impressive. You mentioned taking vacation to coincide with the Chicago International Film Festival. I had a friend who did that with the Vancouver Festival every year I knew him. Two weeks and we knew where we could find him. He once took layoff from a good company because it timed well with going to the festival. He wanted to leave anyway but why should he screw up his VIFF time? He also saw everything and he loved all of it even when he was less than pleased. Ultimately he found his dream job for a while in a boutique video store.

To bring it back to topic I will watch the Oscars because I enjoy the spectacle and I watch movies. I don't watch as many movies as I used to but possibly I will find a reason to watch something I passed on.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

One year, we both volunteered for the Chicago International Film Festival - working on the program, staffing the showings, etc. We got to see all the films we wanted, and a decent "honorarium" as well.

In recent years, she's done the European Union Film Festival at the Gene Siskel Film Center because it's a lot cheaper. Not as many famous actors and directors around, but she's far more concerned with seeing the films than meeting famous people, although she's proud of all the directors and actors that she's championed early in their careers who later became famous. Like how she loved the film Attack The Block and met the director and the star John Boyega, sure that he would have a great career - long before he was cast in the Star Wars sequels:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    brownie61, budwhite and carrick doone like this.
  7. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Gotta love a true fan of the medium... :)

8. Chris DeVoe

Thank you. She's not uncritical, but is always looking to enjoy her time at the movies.

budwhite likes this.
  9. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

The last time I watched the Oscar's was the 2002 Oscars. Totally rigged in my opinion as they wanted to make history. There is no way Denzel Washington deserved the Oscar for best actor for his performance in Training Day. Russell Crowe was robbed.

blind_melon1 and budwhite like this.
  10. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

300 ... that’s a lot. I see over 100 in theaters, and I do agree with her take.

Stereotyping “Hollywood” .... that’s like saying “message board commenters” to suggest wonkiness, anger, etc

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Or an Emotica for best emoticon.

12. Chris DeVoe

I know! I get tired of people complaining that everyone who comments on YouTube videos is a jerk - I have 4500 subscribers on my main YouTube channel, and I read every single comment and I delete the ones that are stupid. It's my responsibility, and I take it seriously. In the same way, Vickie is aware of pretty much every film out there, and decides to see it or not.

13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Hey that's great!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Hopefully John Boyega will get more work like Detroit, and not fall into the trap of only being cast in science fiction.

15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

When I saw that pic I remember that he was in that movie Attack of the block, which I saw when it was new. It didn't click when I saw The force awakens. But now it did.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

"Allow it."

17. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I quit watching the Academy Awards years ago. I have little interest in most films being made today, I don't even know who the majority of current major movie stars are, and they all seem bland and rather generic to me now.

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

That really is an odd boondoggle, isn't it? You work with one CGI elf, and then you're stuck for years padding your resume battling robots and networking with Andy Serkis.

This tended to happen in radio a lot, too; desperate time in a once-vibrant career when you take one job at a Country station, then it's nothing but cold calls from consultants in Nashville until eventually you're only age-appropriate for Oldies stations...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

It happened to Milla Jovovich. Excellent in films like Chaplin and He Got Game, but one Fifth Element and now she's just "that chick in all those Resident Evil films."

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Dillydipper

:shrug: At the very least, every day she still gets to wake up and be Milla Jovovich. So there's that.

I'd have a mirror in every room in the house. And invite Kate Beckensale over just to make her jealous.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Considering that Crowe robbed Tom Hanks in 2001, this seems fair! :D

22. Chris DeVoe

They could have a leather catsuit competition.

23. Dillydipper

Yet another way to class-up The Oscars...:sigh:

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Naw.... Denzel in "Training Day" is up there with Pacino in "Scarface" -- and Pacino shoulda won!!

genesim likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

That's the way I think of her, because I seldom watch television or cable, but it seems like everytime I do --- Mila Jovovich is on in a "Resident Evil" movie ... everytime!! Haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.