DCC Archive This looks interesting from Classic Records...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Todd Fredericks, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

Audiophile Newsletter

Go to the audiphile newsletter and read "Back to Mono"

Todd

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: Todd Fredericks ]

2. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

Oh my God, this has to be the biggest load of crap I have ever read!

Are they kidding? Why don't they just copy a scratchy old Blue Note LP onto tape and recut it?

This kind of thing gives Audiophile Pressings a bad name!

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

John,

Maybe you didn't get the gist of the article, but they're going to set out to use a mono cutting amplifier head to cut mono Lps from Mono tapes.

You may not realize this, but some of the most incredible Blue Note stuff was mono. The most incredible music was first cut as mono, and still are, on CD...If you dig deep enough, the Art Blakey, Cannonball Adderly, Miles Davis and other stuff was either 10" or 12" concepts, recorded on full track mono back in the 50's. We're talking about some of the most prestegious titles, now, absolutely mono.

Even the Rudy Van Gelder 24-bit CD Remaster of "Something Else" by Cannonball, Miles, et al, sounds wonderful. I hope they are sucessful at achieving something authentic sounding using equipment similar to what they had with the "Larry" Scully. I doubt it, but the simple full track cutter I'm sure will pan out good.

Supposedly, Rudy still has the Scully. Not really sure about that, but I wonder if the machiene is still in good shape enough to make a clean, dependable cut and if the materials are still around. I'd think Kevin Gray, if he was here, might know a couple of things. Steve too....

This may mean they'll possibly re-do "Something Else" on Mono, Lp, with the Quiex. Who knows...

New Blue NoteĀ© Screensaver for PC

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: Sckott ]

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

Here's the list...

[​IMG]

5. John Oteri

I'm sorry Sckott and Todd. Didn't mean to get so bent out of shape, but I took exception to this:

"In the end, it was a unanimous decision to use the Mono cutting system exclusively for mono titles because the sound is more authentic than using a stereo cutting system."

More AUTHENTIC than what? The stereo cutting system in use since 1958? So, every record we ever loved that was cut with a stereo cutter is not as good, somehow? Steve's "Pet Sounds" needs a muddy sounding rigid old tube cutter to add some more layers of authentic slowness to the mix?

Sorry, but if the stereo cutting head and the mono cutting head don't sound the same, there is a problem with the cutting amps, isn't there?

Ahhh. Sorry for bitching, but this sounds like too much of a gimmick for me. I bet Bernie G. thinks so too, you betcha!

What about all of us who just have STEREO styli in our turntables? Do we have to get 1950's mono needles to get the "effect" on playback? They ARE what they used then.

I'm not trying to be bitchy, but if they want AUTHENTIC, how 'bout doing some 78 RPM cuttings of Blue Note stuff? They issued Blue Note 78's until 1958.

Next press release, I guess.

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: John Oteri ]

6. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I haven't experienced this firsthand, but I understand that, yes, playing a mono record with a mono stylus makes a huge difference. The mono Helikon is highly regarded, and Grado is also making mono cartridges now. I'm sure there are others. Unfortunately, a dedicated mono system is way out of my price league at the moment.

Now, back to the Classic issue -- what's wrong with the stereo "Somethin' Else" as on the RVG CD? I understand RVG folded the channels in, so it's not the same as an original LP, but the result is very good, IMO.

7. John Oteri

Yes, Patrick, playing a mono record with a mono cartridge is neat, that's why I have a Helikon myself.

But, ya have to have a seperate turntable. Come on, most of us aren't made of money--(I'm not).

Steve Hoffman wrote once:

"I used a stereo cutting stylus to cut "Pet Sounds" and Sonny Rollins "Saxophone Colossus" & "Tenor Madness", because I felt that 99% percent of the people with turntables have stereo carts! I wouldn't dream of doing it any other way. I can't tailor a mono cutting to the less than 1/4 percent of turntable users who have a dedicated mono machine as well as their stereo turntable. It's not fair to most vinyl lovers."

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: John Oteri ]

8. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Isn't that mono Helikon around $2k? It's still out of reach for many of us, myself included.

9. John Oteri

Maybe Classic Records should give one away with every "authentic" Blue Note mono LP reissue. :eek:

10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Would the mono Beatles LP's have been cut with a stereo cutter? Just curious.

P.S. I thought the authentic comment just meant that the mono cutting sounded more like the mono tape than the stereo cutting. Si o no?

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: Pinknik ]

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Piknik, I believe, for many reasons, they would have used a MONO cutting head for the MONO lps.

EMI was still cutting MONO LPS right into the 70's. I'd think by 1973 they might have gotten rid of thier old cutting lathes. No one was specifically in a rush in the UK to be of recent date, and in some ways, that's GOOD!

But using a mono cutter will definately do something amazing to the wavelenths cut, because the full broad range of what the single track has to offer will be cut "true" to the tape.

Not to the original 10" Blue Notes, I'm sure! We're in for the most significant upgrade of a lot of Mono Blue Notes, vinylwize, that the public has never seen. It will be better than going back in time, just more expensive! ;)

FWIW, the Mono cut will sound better, even on a Stereo cart. If you want to sell your body parts for a Mono, you might find it to be even better! :cool:

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: Sckott ]

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Huh? To the best of my knowledge Capitol phased out mono LPs in 1967 in the US, with EMI in the UK doing so in 1968 or early 1969.

13. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I think Scott meant 'still pressing titles in mono,' not issuing *new* titles in mono.

14. Andy

Andy New Member

The only I can say is if you can find an original mono Sgt Peppers buy it. Skip a house payment if your have to just buy it. Then say a short prayer for all of the unlucky souls that will never here the best sounding Sgt Peppers on vinyl. Mono vs stereo vs 5.1 vs 6.1 I dunno about any of that technical stuff, all I know is this mono record sounds better(to me anyway)than any other version I have listened to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.