This Video is private (You Tube) -what's happening?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, May 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Since it's not been mentioned in this thread I'll bring up what it means when one sees a full length music video free for anyone to play and when checking the copyright info it says "Automatically generated by YouTube".

I'm sure YouTube/Google has some kind of copyright agreement with the licensee that this is ok which usually involves some kind of payment through ad placement.

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

This is a common practice not only on Youtube but on Instagram (and I'm assuming by extension Facebook) where if your content can't be openly censored, it can just be quietly removed from any sort of relevance on the platform. Welcome to the future.

Yes the "Automatically generated by Youtube" ones are typically record company uploads.

3. Tim Lookingbill

Wonder why a record label would do that?

Why not just provide a 30 second sample like Amazon and other download music sites? A big PITA when I want to know what the song will sound like (i.e. too much repeating of one hook) throughout the entire song before I purchase the CD.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Virtually every one of the videos that I have up on YouTube is a cover song.

Almost all of them are automatically recognized by YouTube's AI. I have monetization turned on, and two-thirds of the money goes to the songwriter.

Tim Lookingbill and BeatleJWOL like this.
  5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Ad revenue. Those music uploads are also the source used by the Youtube Music service. Case in point:

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgCRdAzizxY

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=RgCRdAzizxY
    The video description:

Youtube Music, is, of course, ad driven if you're not paying for the service, which I am: Youtube Premium

Tim Lookingbill and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

One of the Wilford Brimley videos that I posted a few hours ago already got made private.

Why is that?

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You mean, like Amazon used to do until just a few days ago...? :yikes:

Anybody else feel a change in the wind...? :sigh:

8. Tim Lookingbill

Yeah, I suspect in the near future YouTube will stop hot linking of videos on SHF.

I'm assuming all the views of videos posted in SHF threads are OK with YouTube and the record label due to the banner ads that show up. I don't view these ads and I never click on them to be sent to that vendor's site. Oops! I said too much!

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Or, YouTube did it for him. That happens a lot when a video gets flagged for something.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

YT only likes to promote channels with a certain number of subscribers. It's a way of forcing people to up their content so they can monetize them, unless your video isn't deemed "advertiser-friendly".

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Did you use a clip from a movie?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.