This Week's Top 10 Chart

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave B, May 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Their bigger successes were on the R&B charts, so they were esentially an R&B band. Their biggest and best singles were "Love Me Down" and "Circles" in 1982.

2. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I tend to agree that Atlantic Starrs' R&B chart hits were better the pop crossover hits they had in later years. I love "When Love Calls", "Send For Me", "Touch A Four Leaf Clover" and "Freak-A-Ristic".

I always liked "Big Love" too. Lindsey's guitar playing on that track kicks ass!!!:D

3. Grant

Yeah, "Touch A Four Leaf Clover" in 1983 was the last time I really paid attention to the band.

I guess i'm also one of the few people who like the Fleetwood Mac album that "Big Love Came From".

4. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

I remember that Jody was nominated for a "best new artist" grammy, and there was some controversy, because Shalamar had had hits, notably "Let The Music Play," which was ever present in NYC clubs at the time.

5. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

It was ;) :D

All the best - Andrew

6. Gappleton

Gappleton Forum Resident

To compare and contrast here is the UK chart for the same week.

1. Starship…………….. ....Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
    2. Whitney Houston….. I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
    3. Johnny Logan……… ...Hold Me Now
    4. Johnny Hates Jazz….Shattered Dreams
    5. Mirage……………….......Jack Mix II
    6. Tom Jones. …………....A Boy From Nowhere
    7. Wet Wet Wet………. .Wishing I Was Lucky
    8. Marillion…………… ......Incommunicado
    9. Judy Boucher………. ..Can't Be With You Tonight
    10. Donna Allen………. ....Serious

And what a contrast it is! Apart from the Jody Watley I know and rate all the others from the US Chart but this one could be from Outer Mongolia for all I remember of some of these tracks!

The Johnny Logan, Mirage and Judy Boucher tracks ring none of my bells although the artists are well known and where did the Tom Jones come from?

Further down at 20 the Beastie Boys had just entered with No Sleep Till Brooklyn, Jody Watley had popped in at 30 and Madonna’s La Isla Bonita was just sliding down at 32.

Other new entries were Suzanne Vega - Luka at 29, U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For at 23 and a re-release of Tom Jones’ It's Not Unusual at 40.

All in all not one of the best weeks for UK chart music. Still, no Country music to worry about in this weeks but I am taking no chances anyway. Once I press the submit button I am going to run for it!

Regards,
    Gordon

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Perish the thought, Ray. I find it ironic, though, that when I royally diss a chart, I have people jumping on me and Gort PM's in my inbox, yet if I seem to like certain charts(and this is not one of them--this was one point away from being a strong C+, not a ringing endorsement by any means), I'm perceived as being too soft.

Ah well....as Dave and I know only too well, you can't please everyone.
    Still, I'm convinced a truly awful chart will turn up soon enough, and presumably some of you will be happy the *old Ed* is back:p Others, well, will wish the *other Ed* had turned up instead.

Just be thankful there isn't a THIS WEEK'S TOP TEN ALBUMS thread.
    Now there's a truly contentious concept....:cool:

ED:cool:

8. Grant

Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

Jody Was nominated for that grammy in 1987.

Shalamar broke up in 1985 or 1986.

"Let The Music Play" was a hit for Shannon in 1984.

Shalamar never recorded a song called "Let The Music Play".

9. Grant

10. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

Oops, I got all the S singers confused.

11. Grant

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

It's cool. I've been known to get things mixed up...:cool:

12. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Whoops! How I missed seeing "With or Without You" at the top of Dave B's chart I have no idea. Daydreaming at the keyboard again, I guess. Classic record from a classic album. *But*, given my rather limited musical abilities, I probably still couldn't hum a bar that you'd recognize from the tune!

Jim W.

13. Ed Bishop

Must be the holiday weekend thing; to miss "With Or Without You" as a true rock classic is to miss one of the best singles of the decade.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Only # 2,4, 9, ring my bell...:) Junky....

15. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

This is true.

16. Ed Bishop

As history has already shown, and will prove long after we are all dust. What amazes me is that anybody, living, couldn't connect to it. Like the Police's "Every Breath You Take"(a companion piece, when you think about it), it impressed at a time when I thought I arrogantly believed the best music of Rock history had already come and gone. Records like this--hell, the whole THE JOSHUA TREE album, Springsteen, Harrison, Bangles, Squeeze, R.E.M., others--made me want to believe again. I did, perhaps why I don't hate the chart Dave posted. There's a big difference between mediocre and total ****, and this week's chart, IMO, has no real ****. If that helps any of you to understand how I rated it.:)

17. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Michael,

Lemme guess. There's only *one* U2 song that you like and "With Or Without You" ain't the one.;)

Jim W.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

Wow, "Your On Fire" with this one...And the answer to your guess is....There Ain't ONE single U2 song that I like...Nope, Not even one...Are ya gonna find a famous persons quote somewhere saying they don't like U2 too???...:laugh: ;) :D

19. Grant

I don't happen to care for U2...

Aside from Kim Wilde song, I can find charts more to my liking later in the year, and throughout the 80s decade.

20. Ed Bishop

Try sometime. You'll be a better person for the experience.

21. Ed Bishop

Not ONE?!? Then you've lost all musical credibility, my friend....not to understand "With Or Without You" is to not understand Rock'n'Roll, or its history.....when I gave this an A+, it was sincere....if this one didn't grab you and take you in, you were already lost. Thank God I was still found...:)
    and capable of the search....I really can't believe you on this one...

22. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Sorry, Michael, can't come through for you on this one. Your're all on your own, buddy:D

Jim W.

23. Grant

I have, and i'm solidly with Michael on this one!:cool:

24. xios

xios Senior Member

I never cared much for U2 either. In "With or Without You"- it was the constant repeating of lines (...and you give, and you give...etc) that just plain annoyed me.

25. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Has anyone ever read or heard exactly what Bono was writing about when he did With Or Without You? I have my own interpretation and I found it to be very conforting at a time I could relate. Very passionate song IMO like much of U2's work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.