This Week's Top 10 Chart

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave B, Apr 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, it's been more like summer than spring here in the Northeast this week.
    If it's in the 90's in April, what's July gonna be like? :confused:

This week's chart is from April 20, 1968

The number one song marks the second of five weeks on top for Audio Girl's favorite artist! In addition, we have the King, Queen, First Family and the Godfather of Soul (that should make Grant happy), The Beatles, Box Tops and The Mighty Quinn!
    Folk's I tell ya, Top 40 doesn't get much better than this.

1. Honey.........................................................................Bobby Goldsboro
    2. Young Girl....................................................................The Union Gap
    3. Cry Like A Baby.............................................................The Box Tops
    4. Lady Madonna..............................................................The Beatles
    5. (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone.....................Aretha Franklin
    6. (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay......................................Otis Redding
    7. The Ballad Of Bonnie And Clyde........................................Georgie Fame
    8. Dance To The Music.......................................................Sly & The Family Stone
    9. I Got The Feelin'............................................................James Brown
    10. Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo)....................................Manfred Mann

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Dave,

I was finishing up my Junior year in High School during this weeks chart. When Honey came on the Radio we stuck our fingers down our throats in 68', nothing much has changed. Outside of Little Things, I never cared for Bobby's recordings. When Young Girl came on the Radio we simply changed to another Top 40 station. The pre-teen girls liked the song, however. The rest of the list--outstanding and enduring Top 40 classics. It was rumored the Mighty Quinn contained "drug" references, but that was never verified. Interesting in that Stereo mixes to Bonnie Clyde and I Got The Feelin' were never made after all these years (Mono classics)!

Thanks, Dave!

Bob :)

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

A good to great pop ballad - lotsa soul, blue-eyed and brown - the birth of funk - a "new" Dylan pop song.....

This was top 40 done right!

What happened?????

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

1. Honey.........................................................................Bobby Goldsboro
    UGGGGH!!!! The lyrics aren't that bad, it's the delivery...UGGGGH!!!

2. Young Girl....................................................................The Union Gap
    Brings back memories of when I was 5 years old. That was a fun summer!

3. Cry Like A Baby.............................................................The Box Tops
    Never cared much for this song.
    4. Lady Madonna..............................................................The Beatles
    One of their finest! I heard this A LOT on the radio!

5. (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone.....................Aretha Franklin
    I have very fond memories of the whole album from which this song came. Great underrated Franklin tune, as is "Ain't No Way" from the same album.

6. (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay......................................Otis Redding
    Never heard this one until the 80s.

7. The Ballad Of Bonnie And Clyde........................................Georgie Fame
    Never heard it until the 90s.

8. Dance To The Music.......................................................Sly & The Family Stone
    Of course, they wouldn;'t really make an impression until a year later with "Everyday People".

9. I Got The Feelin'............................................................James Brown
    This one also got by me growing up. I think the only part anyone remembers is the terrible stereo panning on the breakdown "Baybeh, baybeh baybeh!"

10. Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo)....................................Manfred Mann [/QUOTE][/B]
    Likable, nothing special. Radio played it like crazy. After all, this was the year that bubblegum exploded on the charts.

5. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Dave and Bob:

Well, I guess 1968 wasn't such a bad year, but I still think that 1963 is the best year ever for top 40 radio hits. Just take a gander at the top 25:

1. Sugar Shack / Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs
    2. He's So Fine / Chiffons
    3. Dominique / Singing Nun
    4. Hey Paula / Paul & Paula
    5. Blue Velvet / Bobby Vinton
    6. Fingertips / Stevie Wonder
    7. My Boyfriend's Back / Angels
    8. I Will Follow Him / Little Peggy March
    9. Sukiyaki / Kyu Sakamoto
    10. Walk Like A Man / Four Seasons
    11. Go Away Little Girl / Steve Lawrence
    12. I'm Leaving It Up To You / Dale & Grace
    13. If You Wanna Be Happy For The Rest Of Your Life / Jimmy Soul
    14. Easier Said Than Done / Essex
    15. It's My Party / Lesley Gore
    16. Surf City / Jan & Dean
    17. Walk Right In / Rooftop Singers
    18. Deep Purple / Nino Tempo & April Stevens
    19. So Much In Love / Tymes
    20. Our Day Will Come / Ruby & The Romantics
    21. Louie, Louie / Kingsmen
    22. Can't Get Used To Losing You / Andy Williams
    23. Ruby Baby / Dion
    24. Be My Baby / Ronettes
    25. Hello Muddah Hello Fadduh / Allan Sherman

It's eclectic enough to have something for everyone, yet indicative of the tone set by the times. And, uh, oh yeah, # 24 is one of my three favorite top 40 tunes from any year.

6. Grant

Steve,

I guess it all depends on the period of life which you have the most fond memories of and recall. 1963 did indeed have some fine music. I was alive but wasn't *that* concience of everything that was out there because of my exposure at that point.One tends to look at the school years as the most favorable in their lives, I guess.

7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

While all these are fine tunes, this is a great example of why "The British Invasion" took the US by storm. While these songs each may stand on their own, when taken as a group, they would not hold up to the "Yeah, Yeah Yeah" coming over the horizon! The American Youth would soon be looking for someone to 'Hold their hands!' :D

:-jon

8. Bob Lovely

The Best of 1963?

I actually agree with you about 1963 but based on a different/expanded list, per se:

I Wanna Be Around--Tony Bennett
    Harlem Shuffle--Bob & Earl
    You Beat Me To The Punch--Mary Wells
    Baby Workout--Jackie Wilson
    Busted--Ray Charles
    Pride and Joy--Marvin Gaye
    Denise--Randy & the Rainbows
    On Broadway--Drifters
    Only In America--Jay & the Americans
    Da Doo Ron Ron--Crystals
    Surfin' USA--Beach Boys
    Um, Um, Um, Um, Um, Um--Major Lance
    It's Over--Roy Orbison
    Drip Drop--Dion
    Torquay--Fireballs
    Then He Kissed me--Crystals
    Since I Fell For You--Lenny Welch
    Can't Get Used To Losing You--Andy Williams

Additionally, a lot of the music from 1963 actually has pretty good sonics and was not over-compressed, exceptions noted, of course.

Bob
    :)

9. Bob Lovely

Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

Likable, nothing special. Radio played it like crazy. After all, this was the year that bubblegum exploded on the charts. [/B][/QUOTE]

Grant,

Where is that R & B chart?

Bob :confused:

10. Grant

Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

Aw man! I just can't find any references! No one lists any Soul/R&B top 10 charts. I've looked everywhere, certain that R&B top 10 lists were as commonly published as the pop top 10 lists were. I think Billboard sells actual charts for R&B but they are mighty expensive.

Oh well...:(

11. Bob Lovely

Re: Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

Grant,

I will do some research this week and see what I can up with!

Bob :)

12. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Re: The Best of 1963?

Nice list, Bob, but it doesn't include my favorite top 40 song of all time which ended up the year ranked # 80 according to Whitburn. It peaked at # 7 on 2/23/1963: The Big O, In Dreams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.