This Week's Top 10 Chart

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave B, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm having serious computer problems at home so this week's entry is being sent from work.
    I hope to get my system back up by next week. Now I have another electronic
    device I can't do without. Swell.

This week's chart is from May 23, 1960.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!
    Code:
      1. Cathy's Clown........................................[B]The Everly Brothers[/B]
      2. Stuck On You.........................................[B]Elvis Presley[/B]
      3. Good Timin'..........................................[B]Jimmy Jones[/B]
      4. Greenfields..........................................[B]The Brothers Four[/B]
      5. Night................................................[B]Jackie Wilson[/B]
      6. Sixteen Reasons......................................[B]Connie Stevens[/B]
      7. Cradle Of Love.......................................[B]Johnny Preston[/B]
      8. He'll Have To Stay...................................[B]Jeanne Black[/B]
      9. Let The Little Girl Dance............................[B]Bobby Bland[/B]
     10. Paper Roses..........................................[B]Anita Bryant[/B]

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Dave,

Thanks for posting the chart, as always.

I was 9 in May of 1960. Cathy' Clown--I must have at least 10 versions of this classic and none can compare to the version that Steve mastered. Their first big hit on WB. Stuck On You--great song, great Bill Porter engineered recording and it sounds great as mastered by SH. Good Timin'--great R & B flavored Pop record. Jimmy had another big hit with Handy Man. The best verson of Good Timin' that I have was mastered by Dennis Drake. Greenfields--big Top 40 folk hit, usual Columbia "wet" recording. Night--not one of my favorite Jackie Wilson singles, sounds like Jackie does Mario Lanza. Sixteen Reasons--too cute for me but Connie was a "looker". Cradle Of Love--pretty good song that is never played today on Oldies Radio. He'll Have To Stay--insepid answer song. Let The Little Girl Dance--great song by this R & B, Blues great, still enjoy it. Paper Roses--lame then, still is today.

Bob

:)

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

As a Top 40 collector, I can say that more than half of this week's Top 10 are songs that are hard to find on oldies CD collections. It took me a very long time to track down the original version of Anita Bryant's "Paper Roses" on a CD. (I know a lot of you out there are thinking "Why would you bother?"):confused:

4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Jimbo,

I understand! Eventhough Paper Roses is drivel, IMO, I still have it in my collection because I want to have every hit from that period that I can get for historical accuracy. I believe that I have only listened to it once or twice since I found it on CD many years ago. I would say the only hit on this weeks chart that can be somewhat challenging to find on CD is Cradle Of Love. Over the years, the rest have been or are readily available. I would think for you, a few trips into the city would be quite fruitful in locating most Top 40 Oldies from that era.

Bob :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.