This Week's Top Ten Chart

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave B, Mar 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member Thread Starter

Ahh... The mid-eighties, seems like yesterday, but it's been sixteen years already.
    This week's chart is from March 29, 1986.
    Let's see if these kick up any memories from your dusty past.

1. Rock Me Amadeus.......................Falco
    2. These Dreams............................Heart
    3. Secret Lovers............................Atlantic Starr
    4. R.O.C.K. In The U.S.A.................John Cougar Mellencamp
    5. Kiss.........................................Prince & The Revolution
    6. What You Need.........................INXS
    7. Nakita......................................Elton John
    8. Sara........................................Starship
    9. Let's Go All The Way...................Sly Fox
    10. This Could Be The Night.............Lover Boy

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

This is my era. I just got a drivers license around this time and would cruise and listen to this stuff coming off the radio. I pretty much hate all of this now, but maybe I could stand to hear the John Cougar song again. Nah, maybe not:rolleyes:
    Now I feel really old...
    Dan C

3. pjrashid

pjrashid New Member

A horrible time for rock 'n roll...Heart and John Cougar are the only 2 songs worth listening to.:mad:

4. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I graduated in '86 and the only thing on this list the I ever owned is John Cougar Mellencamp but I waited until it came out on MFSL gold. Radio totally wore the guy out at the time.

What was I listening to at that time that was that was current? Rush - Power Windows, Marillion - Brief Encounter/Script from a Jester's Tear. I believe Peter Gabriel - So would'be only have been a few weeks away from being released at this time. As I've said before, I was a prog rock snob in high-school. I think the first Van Halen album with Sammy Hagar was about to be released as well. I had a girlfriend at the time who was a big Moody Blues fan and she was excited that they were about to release a new album ("The other side of life"). I should've never left that girl go. She'd be blown away to see the 4 or 5 Moody Blues titles I have on MFSL Gold.

I also remember flipping on MTV at my Grandparents house around this time (my parents didn't even have cable) and seeing the world debut of a GTR video. GTR being the band that had Steve Howe (Yes, Asia) and Steve Hackett (Genesis) both playing guitar. "When the Heart Rules the Mind" was the tune.

People used to look in my album collection and say "why don't you like anything anyone else likes?". Now if they'd look at my Gold CD collection and they'd probably say "you really have gone off the deep end like we always knew you would."

Oh well.

"Seasons will change.
    You must move on.
    Follow your dreams."

-GTR

I'm glad the people in this forum tolerate these wistful moment of introspection. ;)

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

WEll, I like four or five of them and own all of them. A mixed bag, for sure!

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree that the John Cougar Mellencamp track is one of the only tracks worth listening to on this top 10 chart.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Let's Go All the Way by Sly Fox is one of my favorite 80s one-hit wonders. It's really got that "Big 80s" sound!

8. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Mellencamp & Heart are the best here IMO. Although 'Kiss' was not one of Prince's best tunes he is/was a musical genius! Anyone else think so?

9. Grant

After the excesses of "Purple Rain" and "Around The World In A Day", I thought "Kiss" was a stroke of genius! Minimalization at it's best!

While Mellencamp's song was good, I just thought he wore out that down-home, midwestern white-boy rock& roll image.

I hated that Atlantic Starr song and thought doing sappy ballads was a big step in the wrong direction, especially after the great music found on their 1982 album, "Brilliance" with the top R&B hit Circles".

"These Dreams" by Heart wore out fast.

I actually like the Loverboy and Sly Fox songs.

10. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

This list transports me to 7th grade.

Drew, how would describe/rate that GTR? I've always wanted to check that out.

11. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

This week's chart

Dave,

Thanks for posting the chart. Rock Me Amadeus--the "American Mix" on the 12" single was a very hot mix. I remember radio stations in this area played an edit of it versus the "single mix". Sadly, I never found this mix on CD--other remixes but not the "American Mix". R.O.C.K. In The USA is an overplayed title on Classic Rock radio formats. Kiss--always liked it, fun song, sounds good. What You Need is still played heavily in dance clubs that play 80's music as is Let's Go All The Way by Sly Fox. The Lover Boy title was pretty typical of the time....

Until next weeks chart....

Bob :)

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not much there. No wonder I thought I could be successful in an original rock band back then.

13. Grant

Like many people, "What You Need" was my introduction to the band INXS.

14. Drew

Drew Senior Member

How would I rate GTR? It was really a bunch of thirtysomething guitar players trying to find success in the commercial radio of the 80's. I really liked it at the time but I'm not so sure its a requirement unless your a big fan of people involved. I'm not sure that there are any definitive guitar statements on this album. I am a big fan of Steve Howe and classic Yes and like the first Asia album a lot. I also prefer the older Peter Gabriel era Genesis and Steve Hackett. I remember it seemed like it took forever for the single "When the Heart Rules the Mind" to go up the Top 40 hit list. I bought the album in like March or April and I don't think the song was played much on the radio until that summer and then not much outside of AOR. a lot of my friends didn't like Max Bacon, the lead singer.

This CD has been remastered/released by One Way Records in the last year. It was out of print in the USA and I had lost my original copy (and a boatload of aluminum plated cd's) when my apartment was broken into a few years ago. Seems cleaner but a little tweaked in the bass and treble, standard 90's remastering.

So I'd say that I prefer the first Asia album or the Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe album which came out in '89, but I'm glad I have it because I'm a completist when it comes to classic progressive rockers and so I can show it to friends when I go back for my 20th class reunion. ;)

15. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Yeah, I'd have to agree that the bulk of this list is trash. However, let me say this - I saw INXS live in 1987 at UConn during Spring Weekend, and they put on one killer show. They genuinely seemed to have an awesome time up there.

I would have not considered myself an INXS fan before that show, but I do enjoy their stuff now.

16. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

I'll admit to liking the INXS, Prince, Cougar Mellencamp, Heart, Elton and even (gulp) Starship tracks. The last two are definitely guilty pleasures, but "Sara" has not aged particularly well. The others leave me pretty cold, although most of Loverboy's work is another guilty pleasure. I too came of age around this time, so I have vivid memories of these years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.