Those little 5 disc budget sets.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Detroit Rock Citizen, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital Thread Starter

*I know there is a box set thread currently running, but nobody included these*
    *If there is an open thread on these please merge. I wouldn't even know what keywords to use as a search*

All three majors are putting them out. They're great if all you want to is rip and store them. I've got many. Here are the last two.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll take as many slings and arrows as you want to shoot at me for the Rod Stewart, but the first two discs are fairly solid. It was cheaper to buy this than those two separately. The other three? Well let's put it this way, Rod should do jail time for the version of All Right Now on Camouflage.

What does everyone else have.

2. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

The cover on that third Montrose album is pretty epic.

3. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

The ones I've bought include Dr. John, Little Feat, Zevon, Judy Collins and The (Young) Rascals.

4. Detroit Rock Citizen

The Little Feats were re-released sometime in the aughts individually and quite cheaply. I picked them up at that time. If the Zevon set includes the first two albums I'd be very interested.

DocShipe, ARK and Rockford & Roll like this.
  5. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

It's not part of the same series, but just last week I bought a 5 disc set containing all four Tyrannosaurus Rex albums + Electric Warrior for £11.59 - can't argue with that!

As the "Original Album Series", I have the Fleetwood Mac and Brad Paisley sets.

6. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

The downside being you have to listen to those Tyrannosaurus Rex albums. The self-titled T.Rex is not too bad, I presume that's included. I like The Wizard, it's proper goofy.

mikmcmee likes this.
  7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I have quite a few of these.
    They suit my purposes.... listening to albums I haven't heard.

8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Got a bunch too, but the audio quality varies on different albums and releases.
    Just the same, you couldn't complain about the price and the content at the time.
    20 clams for 5 albums.

9. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

The Scott Walker set is incredible, obviously Scott 1 to 4 are sublime and essential but it's also the easiest and probably cheapest way to get the terrific and much overlooked 'Til The Band Comes In.

10. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

I have a Lou Reed (first 5 solo albums) & The Isley Brothers, 5 seventies releases that would be ditto locate on CD or vinyl...both sets are fantastic.

11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’ve never owned Foolish Behaviour, but my favourite out of those Rod discs would be Vagabond Heart. It’s a bit too long, but there are some nice songs on there. Aside from the title track and Young Turks, I’d say Tonight I’m Yours is the patchiest.

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Clown woman.....!

13. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

off the top of my head, I think I have -

Peter Tosh
    Kenny Burrell
    Grant Green (this one was £2.99 when I got it..an absolute steal!)
    Monk
    Archie Shepp
    Brubeck

maybe some others. good way of filling gaps

14. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

I have Gotthard, Gary Moore, Rick Springfield, and probably a few more i cant remember

15. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

No argument on All Right Now other than to say that the early version of this track was actually not bad...it just was murdered as they glossed it up.

I have this set, even though it annoyed me a little that it was a bit random, missing out two eighties albums and including one nineties. The absence of Out of order was fixed with the Triple Album Collection ( which also had Spanner in the works, those two being better than any of the five on offer here), but Body wishes remains out in the cold.
    The Chris Rea set was similarly random.
    If nothing else, this set includes writer credits for Camouflage that were not in the standalone cd. Also, the version of Vagabond heart does not include Downtown Train, which was on the cd when it came out here originally.
    These are good cheap back up copies, and in the Rod instance anyway, are not remasters as far as I can tell.

16. Detroit Rock Citizen

The FM are the Welch albums, correct? If they are do yourself a favor and upgrade to the new box.

ARK likes this.
  17. Detroit Rock Citizen

It makes you want to dive right into the album, doesn't it?

caravan70 and Micah like this.
  18. Detroit Rock Citizen

Like I said good for ripping then storing. Most of my home listening is FLAC via computer so these work for me

19. Detroit Rock Citizen

I have the early 70s Isley's one. Givin' it Back and 3+3 are phenomenal albums.

primejive, ARK, Cachiva and 7 others like this.
  20. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

aye, head first!

21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The HMV sale was good. I got the Pat Benatar, Sensational Alex Harvey, and the two Fairport Convention sets for £2.99 each.

I have a bunch of other such as Dr. John, Tim Buckley, Randy Newman, Carly Simon, etc., some of which I picked up cheap from Sainsbury's when their online store closed.

22. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I have

Little Feat
    Iron Butterfly
    UFO
    Fleetwood Mac
    Free
    Alex Harvey
    Traffic
    ZZ Top
    Quite a few others too, didn't need most of them, often I've bought them just because they where there plus I don't like leaving record shops empty handed.

23. Detroit Rock Citizen

This one may be the best.
    [​IMG]

Rick H., javilu77, mopper and 56 others like this.
  24. Detroit Rock Citizen

Just like on Elton we'll agree to disagree
    ;)

mbrownp1 likes this.
  25. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

The Monkees
    The Guess Who