Thoughts about buying a CHEAP spare laptop

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Feb 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Too slow, at the edge of even Linux support. Can still run light graphics environments well. You need a Core i3 at minimum, and the ability to accept 8GB RAM to run modern multimedia well. Battery life lesser than the Core i3/Core i5 newer models. On a Dell Latitude look at a generation newer or two. The Latitude E 5510 has a Core i3 or i5 CPU, 8GB RAM limit, and a machine which can run modern OS somewhat well. And with some hunting in your price range (you'd have to buy a HDD or SSD, and the caddy, easy to do)

head_unit likes this.
  2. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Yes.4g is a very minimum win10 load. You would be better off with the SSD option. At least then, when Windows pages ram out to the HD it will be much faster.

McLover likes this.
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Also, Windows 10 can benefit from 8GB of RAM too. Especially if multitasking.

4. ejman

ejman Music, fountain of life!

Why don't you download Linux Mint XFCE and try it as a live USB in your laptop? Cost is absolutely ZERO. Admittedly, I assume your old Laptop has a USB port? If it works reasonably well ( and I bet it will) then you can proceed and install it in you laptop. I used this process for an ancient HP desktop with an old Pentium 4 (even older than your laptop processor) that came with windows XP and it works just fine for light duty use and its pretty fast. Again, cost to try this out is ZERO. Download - Linux Mint

chili555 likes this.
  5. boots

boots Chokma!

I have an IBM Thinkpad 380Z I might let go. :evil:

nick99nack likes this.
  6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Forget windows and 64-bit. Buy a 32-bit chrome book. You don't need much. That being said a cheap windows tablet will work, just no physical keyboard.

somnar likes this.
  7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

but sometimes I definitely need Java, and sometimes Flash

8. head_unit

So you're saying that Linux has much less resource overhead? The thing holding me back is I already know Windows (and Mac), and I really don't want to spend time learning a new/third OS even though a buddy is an original Tuxer and surely could help me out.

9. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Chrome browser on all Chromebooks will play Flash video. Though Google is gradually making Flash more and more inconvenient to run in preparation for totally dropping Flash support by the end of 2020 when Adobe finally kills off Flash and stops updating it.

Do you need the real Java or do you mean JavaScript?
    JavaScript is easy. All browser support running JavaScript. The Chrome browser on Chromebooks runs JavaScript no problem.
    The real Java running Java apps is where things get tricky.

10. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

WalMart

11. Chromebook, My MacBook Pro was in the shop and I needed something just to do my banking. Snagged a ACER 15 for like $170 new.
    And the output audio is actually decent on this model.

12. kidd

kidd Active Member

I purchased the Google Pixelbook for $750 , 2 for me and my wife , very high quality.
    I realize this does not as it's $700 more than you want to spend .
    I am sooooo done with cheap shiit

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

If you not into heavy gaming you can pick up a great laptop used for a couple hundred dollars...Pawn Shops always have a bargain....

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

there's always a blue tooth keyboard! : )

15. ejman

ejman Music, fountain of life!

Yes, Linux (particularly the XFCE version) use resources far more efficiently than windows. The XFCE interface resembles the menu system and layout of windows XP so there really isn't a huge jump or a lot of time to learn how to use it. There are many tutorials and YouTube videos on how to download and install Linux mint. Here is one tutorial How to install Linux Mint on your Windows PC | ZDNet . Again, it doesn't cost anything to try it and use. Linux Mint comes with a boatload of useful programs already set up in the distribution. BTW, if you have an android smartphone you are already using a version of Linux since the guts of Android are based on the Linux Kernel.

16. head_unit

Well, mainly I use a MacBook Air or a Lenovo Yoga, but this is like not even a tertiary but quaternary machine, so I just need passably functional...

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

4 points for using the word "quaternary" in the Audio Hardware forum :thumbsup:

18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Currently have an HP Elitebook which is very good. I'd recommend it for both performance and build.

19. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Pick your poison. Newegg refurbished laptops.

20. harby

harby Forum Resident

This is pretty much too low for a working laptop. You can go to the Goodwill outlet here and the laptops that are too banged up or dead to sell on eBay are still $40 without a hard drive.

Do you want one that is still useful portable? It will become obsolete before it is "obsolete", because of this:

[​IMG]

Laptops have DRM chips in their batteries now, they will annoy you with warnings that they are dead while they still last 50%+ of their original life, and replacing the cells in the battery pack won't reset the chip that keeps track (like a toner cartridge).

I still use a Dell Precision M4400, in that price range used, but now with a replacement 9 cell battery, and SSD. It cost $1900 new, so I'm enjoying the long tail of top tier equipment.

21. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

BTW- I bought a $220 laptop with 1.8gHz processor. Walmart sent a 3.2gHz quad processor and solid-state hard drive. A $1600 laptop. I told Walmart of mistake and they said keep the computer.

nick99nack likes this.
  22. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

And I would be the first to take you up on that offer. lol

23. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I also came to recommend an old T-series Thinkpad. They are my favorites for home use (and X-series are my favorites on the road).

nick99nack likes this.
  24. head_unit

Thanks! Oh, dang, almost forgot to mention [subsonic throbbing building to a crescendo] THE BEATLES

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There are $75 to $80 bargains. Folks in this thread are pushing the limit higher than it need be.

You'll find a deal at less than $100, no worry. Look at completed items on ebay and you'll see just what you can get and what you must sacrifice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.