Thoughts on Elvis '60s soundtracks (and their movies!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ilistentoallkinds, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Not possible. But here goes:

Doin' the Best I Can
    Can't Help Falling in Love
    King of the Whole Wide World
    Return to Sender
    Bossa Nova Baby
    I Need Somebody to Lean On
    Big Love Big Heartache
    Please Don't Stop Loving Me
    All That I Am
    You Don't Know Me
    Suppose
    Let Yourself Go
    A Little Less Conversation
    Clean Up Your Own Back Yard
    Rubberneckin'

2. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Just a quick run from memory, mostly to bump to it for others.

Mean Woman Blues
    Hard Headed Woman
    Trouble
    Lover Doll
    Love Me Tender
    Blue Suede Shoes
    Return to Sender
    Bossa Nova Baby
    Viva Las Vegas
    Today, Tomorrow, and Forever
    Dirty Dirty Feeling
    She's a Machine
    Tomorrow is a Long Time
    Guitar Man

3. humpf

A bit expanded (favourites bolded), I hope it does not hurt, it is still mostly chronological, not an actual album sequencing. I was just surprised nobody has accepted the challenge. Take it as another bump for Elvis experts who sure will come soon.

Jailhouse Rock
    I Don't Care

I Want to Be Free
    Mean Woman Blues
    Hard Headed Woman
    Trouble
    Lover Doll
    Love Me Tender
    Blue Suede Shoes

Return to Sender
    Bossa Nova Baby
    Viva Las Vegas
    C'mon Everybody
    What I'd Say
    Dirty Dirty Feeling
    She's a Machine
    Tomorrow is a Long Time
    Guitar Man

4. SKATTERBRANE

I intentionally left out the 4 50s soundtracks to allow the 60s soundtracks to stand a chance of getting on the list at all.

I would include MOST of Jailhouse Rock and King Creole and a couple each from Love Me Tender and Loving You.

ilistentoallkinds and humpf like this.
  5. humpf

Since nobody wants to play, I give it one more shot with an album made strictly from Elvis' 60s soundtracks.

Guitar Man
    Big Boss Man
    All I Need Was the Rain
    Tomorrow is a Long Time
    Viva Las Vegas
    Dirty Dirty Feeling
    Rubberneckin'
    The Love Machine
    What I'd Say
    C'mon Everybody
    Clean Up Your Own Backyard
    Bossa Nova Baby
    Return to Sender

6. humpf

Nobody biting this hook?

7. SKATTERBRANE

I'll bite. So, I didn't know that we were allowed studio tracks that were bonus songs on soundtrack albums. And ALL of the songs from Tickle Me were taken from studio cuts off non soundtrack albums. If we are allowed bonus songs that would change my list significantly.

Hep Alien and humpf like this.
  8. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Everything with Hawaii and Acapulco in it is great! Summer albums for me!
    Blue Hawaii is my favourite!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    ilistentoallkinds and laf848 like this.
  9. ilistentoallkinds

ilistentoallkinds Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, I just found this subject thread of Elvis movies again (a thread that I myself started and eventually lost track of-- mea culpa!) from over two years ago, and I am very happy to see the many thoughtful, wonderful replies here! Thanks so much, everyone! :)

I'm having a great time reading your thoughts on Elvis movies and their soundtracks which have been posted since I was last on this thread, though I do profusely apologize for being so late in catching up to many of those responses. More than two years after my initial post on this subject, I still enjoy Elvis movies (that is, very many of them, but not every single one!) and quite a few of the songs in them, even though, obviously, there are some definite clunkers. :)

Has anyone here read the film critic Sheila O'Malley's writings on Elvis? She is very insightful about him as an actor, and on Elvis movies in general, and on just the entire musical/cultural phenomenon that was and is Elvis Presley. She's a serious fan and a very thoughtful one. I particularly enjoy her musings on Elvis movies! Here's a great example: https://www.filmcomment.com/blog/tcm-diary-elvis-actor/

Also, on her personal website, she has an entire section of posts on (or at least involving) Elvis that should not be missed by any fan: Elvis Presley | The Sheila Variations

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Hep Alien likes this.
  10. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Great thread. I want to collect all the movies, so what is the best way to build an Elvis film collection? Is there a big box with everything in it or should I pick up the individual titles? I see there several multi-disc sets, but I’m unsure how to approach this.

I have the 20 Soundtracks and RCA Album Collection boxes, so I should be set on the soundtrack music.

Hep Alien and minkahed like this.
  11. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

They are from a few different studios, so one big box is not possible. Only a few are on Blue Ray so you are stuck with DVDs. The toughest one was Loving You which was sold by Paramount to NBC. I was lucky to get a used copy off Amazon for 20 bucks a few years ago. The other thing is my collection is 80 percent from Big Lots for 3 bucks a movie. That ship has of course sailed.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  12. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

You can go online and get a good amount of 4 in 1 sets on dvd and there's the double feature sets too.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  13. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I bought quite a few at Big Lots too but on VHS. I think they were a buck or two.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  14. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

If you don’t mind PAL, these UK Daily Mail freebies can be bought quite cheaply:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  15. MerseyBeatle

I saw those listed on eBay, but I’m unable to play PAL discs, except on my computer. So, that may be an option for the Loving You title. Thanks for the tip.

NumberEight likes this.
  16. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

I was interested in getting all Elvis' movies on DVD too, (I only own three Elvis movies on Blu-ray) and this is how I approached it.

First, I just focused on every Elvis film in chronological order and focused on getting the first one to the last one.

Second, I checked all my local outlets to see what they carried and their availability in their stock. This caused me a little problem as there were Elvis titles in some Wal-Mart's, Target's, Rose's etc etc ... in back rooms, (the employees have no clue) that were not on the floor.
    I mean, how do you sell something when it sits in a back room in a box ?

Third, after I got tired of doing that, I went to the internet. This helped me expedite on getting the last 10 or 12 titles in a bunch and at a good discounted price.

Happy Hunting !!! :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    MerseyBeatle likes this.
  17. MerseyBeatle

Thank you both. I didn’t take into account the different studios situation, which explains why no such complete Elvis film collection exists. So, it looks like I’ll have to build the collection by obtaining individual titles and various multi disc sets.

@minkahed, I like your approach. I’m going to check my local used stores and the box stores. It’ll be more fun hunting these titles anyway than getting one big box. I didn’t realize Loving You was hard to find, so what did you do to add it to your collection?

Thanks.
    :cheers:

minkahed likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Great post..

To me in this day and age, I personally prefer the idea of watching Follow That Dream, rather than yet another anti-hero, morally ambiguous movie made to make everyone a little more uncomfortable.
    There's enough hardcore bs going on in the real world without making it my relaxation/escapism as well.

Frankly I have enjoyed to some degree all the Elvis Movies I have seen.
    My favourites would be
    Follow That Dream
    King Creole
    Viva Las Vegas
    Jailhouse Rock
    Love Me Tender

Funnily enough, I think his best movies are generally the ones with less songs. Not always, but mainly. Even my wife said of Blue Hawaii "It was ok, but there were too many songs.
    I personally think Elvis could have been a very good actor, and showed real potential, but movie world was never going to give him that opportunity, when they could just make him look pretty and get him to sing, and fill cinemas. Tragic waste in my opinion.

As for the soundtracks, we went through them all on the Elvis sixties album thread, and for the most part they are good, in my opinion. As soundtrack albums from the sixties, you somewhat expect some narrative flow, and/or novelty songs, but the majority are very acceptable albums. The tragedy in that instance was the movie companies cutting budgets and getting cheap crap songs, recorded on movie soundstages in stead of movie studios. It was a rort.

I think very good soundtracks are
    Loving you
    King Creole
    (most of) Blue Hawaii
    Roustabout
    Girl happy
    Spinout
    Speedway

Elvis being maligned by so many folks is a pain in the butt frankly, and you still get ignorant folks saying he couldn't play instruments and all of these other fantasies that make you want to slap them. I wonder how many folks that jump on the Elvis was crap bandwagon have actually heard much, if anything at all of what he actually did.
    Elvis was an American treasure that got destroyed unnecessarily, through his own human foibles, a terrible manager, and an industry that treated his whole career like it was about to end at any minute, from about 1958....

19. mark winstanley

If anyone is interested, all the soundtracks will be amongst the other albums.

These links will take you to lists of the albums and tracks and the links to them

The Fifties Easy Reference guide
    Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

1959 - Feb 10 1964 - Reference guide -
    Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

April 1964 - Sept 1967

October 1967 - December 1969

The Seventies thread
    Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

All of my collection are single disc with the exception of the 75th Birthday Collection. It contains MGM films in one case and 3 from Fox in a second. All inside one slip case. The films are
    Flaming Star
    Love Me Tender
    Wild In the Country
    Clambake
    Follow That Dream
    Frankie And Johnny
    Kid Galahad
    LMT had been issued on DVD but I think this was a first time for most of these.

Warner has issued a number of twofers and fourfers so there is that. The bugaboo will be Loving You and its pretty much essential.
    And don't forget This Is Elvis which contains a second DVD with the double length network TV version.

MerseyBeatle and aussievinyl like this.
  21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Currently 92 dollars on Amazon

22. mark winstanley

23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

mark winstanley likes this.
  24. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Thanks for the shout out !!! :)

As for obtaining "Loving You" on DVD, "I Got Lucky" (pun pun). I found it in one of my hunting sprees at Best Buy.

I also found another one thru a mutual friend on the internet. In some instances, with the box(ed) sets, or multi sets, I have 2 of some of the films, but that's ok.

One thing to remember, have sum fun in your hunting !!! :)

25. MerseyBeatle

"To me in this day and age, I personally prefer the idea of watching Follow That Dream, rather than yet another anti-hero, morally ambiguous movie made to make everyone a little more uncomfortable. There's enough hardcore bs going on in the real world without making it my relaxation/escapism as well."

You nailed it. Could not agree more with this. :righton:

mark winstanley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.