Thoughts on Elvis '60s soundtracks (and their movies!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ilistentoallkinds, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

I picked up the 75th Birthday Collection box and will look for the twofers and fourfers as well as the single discs. The multi disc sets cover most of the films, so only a couple or more of the single discs are hard to find. Thanks for your suggestions and help.

2. MerseyBeatle

Well for $12.99 I decided to preorder this. Other copies are going for crazy money, so I thought I’d take a chance. If it’s PAL and not NTSC I can always send it back to Amazon. Thanks @mark winstanley for the link.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

You're welcome

4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Well? Did you get it?

5. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

One word: TRASH

6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I'm not an Elvis fan in the least, but I would love a compilation of the schlockiest songs from his films, like "Ito Eats" and "Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce."

7. Great post. Your tastes in international cinema echo mine closely although I don't consider Tarkovsky particularly dark.

My favourite Elvis film by far is Follow That Dream. I'm not ashamed to say it's becoming one of my all-time favourites so I'm completely with you in your sentiments expressed.

There are Elvis films I find near unwatchable and yet I enjoy the soundtracks, for example Fun In Acapulco and Girls Girls Girls.

One esteemed film critic interestingly drew attention to a scene in It Happened At The World Fair (good fun soundtrack) which has an almost serenely artistic quality. It's all over very quickly and we're soon back to the typical silly nonsense with cheap sets and the like, but when they are travelling back on the monorail and the little girl falls asleep on Elvis and the background scenery is slowing passing by it is quite a magical moment rarely seen in any Elvis film.

8. MerseyBeatle

I did. Received it today as Amazon had it on back order. I can confirm it is NTSC, Region 0 so it plays in US players. It appears to be an Australian import, but there are no company logos or markings on the cover or disc. It appears to be a copy of the VHS as the menu is what is created by a DVD-Recorder. It looks just like the menus on the DVD’s I’ve made from dubbing my old VHS Tapes. The quality looks like a video tape too. The disc is a real DVD and not a DVD-R.

Not too thrilled with the quality, but for the price and the convenience of not having to hunt down another copy, I’ll keep it. I would not want to pay more for this pressing.

For those interested, the UPC is 9317486003168.
    [​IMG]
    ‘Loving You’

Hep Alien and JamieC like this.
  9. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Sounds dicey. I will still recommend finding the official DVD. The picture and sound are great!
    [​IMG]

JimmyCool and SteveM like this.
  10. ilistentoallkinds

ilistentoallkinds Forum Resident Thread Starter

One word: THREADCRAP.

11. ilistentoallkinds

I really enjoy "Follow That Dream" too, and I especially love Presley's acting performance in it. It's understated and wonderfully subtle-- so much so that just how good it is can be too easily overlooked. The man truly could act. I wish that he had been given more opportunities to show his real acting ability.

I agree with you, too, on that particular scene from "It Happened at the World's Fair." I love the surprisingly quiet, contemplative feel of that scene.

SteveM and Shawn like this.
  12. ilistentoallkinds

For anyone who is looking for more Elvis movies on Blu-ray, the "Twilight Time" label has released these ones (and the best prices for them can generally be found at www.twilighttimemovies.com or www.screenarchives.com):

Follow That Dream (unfortunately, now OOP-- "Twilight Time" discs are limited editions)
    Flaming Star
    Kid Galahad
    Wild in the Country

Kino-Lorber has also issued quite nice-looking Blu-rays of "Frankie and Johnny" and "Clambake." Overall, there is very good picture quality (striking colors!) on those two discs. Yes, I know that they are not cinematic masterpieces, to say the very least, but they look great on Blu-ray, and I still enjoy Elvis in them, even as I wish that he had had much better films in which to show his talents.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  13. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

CLAM BAKE!

goin to a clambake!

those two lines are often mimic'd and lampooned around our house with the lyrics changed to anything remotely sounding, hopefully two syllables

as in

PAN CAKES

gonna make some pancakes!

actually I love Elvis and have seen just about all his movies. Some of them, the later ones, like Clambake, dont seem to be all that thought out by those involved...

some of the earlier ones are quite enjoyable. Back when Elvis was probably enjoying it all and the songs were OK and the scripts not so formulaic.

JamieC and ilistentoallkinds like this.
  14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I asked my dad if he watched Elvis movies. He said he went to them, but there wasn't a lot of watching going on...

15. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

I love Girl Happy. One of my favorite movies.

16. ilistentoallkinds

:D

17. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Is that why he's your dad? ;)

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

I do certainly enjoy watching an Elvis flick after working a 12-hour shift, but Elvis had so much charisma, how could you avoid not liking the guy or his voice ?

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

:laugh: No, he waited until he was married, barely. I was born 10 months after my folks married.

21. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Chesay anyone ?

22. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

I gotta be honest, lately, I have been so into Elvis' soundtrack albums, it's all I've been listening too.

Yes, I know, sacrilegious and I know some of the songs are really poor but that voice !!!

And I just don't care what anyone says , I like the "Roustabout", "Girl Happy", "It Happened at the World's Fair" albums. Elvis laid down some impressive vocals.

23. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I find the movie soundtracks to be fascinating. Some great songs mixed in with his worst songs. I bought the 20 cd movie soundtrack set and made a playlist of the worst songs and a playlist of the best songs, 40 songs on each. They are equally entertaining. Sometimes it's hard to know which playlist I am listening to! Some songs are so bad that they are good, and some songs are so close to either being brilliant or cheesy. There are also many moments when you scratch your head and say WHAT THE HELL WAS HE THINKING? But I highly recommend all the albums and every Elvis fan should have these soundtracks. They put me in a great mood and like others have stated his voice is usually in top form.

I have seen many of the films, but not all of them. You definitely have to be in the mood, but they are always a hoot!

24. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...YOGA IS AS YOGA DOES!!:nauga:!!!:edthumbs:!:goodie:!!!!;)!

Hep Alien and palisantrancho like this.
  25. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I love the Roustabout soundtrack. Roustabout, Hard Knocks, Carny Town, Wheels on my Heels are favorites. Completely ridiculous, but I love the rock n roll carnival vibe. If you know who The Cramps are I always thought a few of these songs would have been great covers, especially Carny Town.

Hep Alien and RSteven like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.