Thoughts on Elvis '60s soundtracks (and their movies!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ilistentoallkinds, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know Viva Las Vegas is generally well regarded, but dang, the car race at the end is like something out of Death Race 2000. Truly horrific crashes seemingly every couple miles, surely half of the drivers who entered in to the race would be dead! I know Elvis films are far, far from reality but who came up with that race scene in a romantic comedy/musical?

WLL, RSteven and minkahed like this.
  2. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Didn't they cover " Do The Clam? Or am I thinking if someone else:confused:?

palisantrancho likes this.
  3. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

I've been listening to the 90's BMG restoration project of Elvis' "Double Features" CD's and a lot of these Soundtracks are remixed from 3 track sources, and, in some instances, For the first Time In Stereo !!!

They sound quite different to the soundtracks that were released mastered by Vic Anesini at Battery Studios in New York.

Of note, a friend of mine that worked for Sony Music told me that the 2009 reissue of the full "Viva Las Vegas" soundtrack sold quite well, once again emphasizing had it been originally released in 1964, could have been a huge hit !!!

4. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Yeah! It was on a live album. They could have done an entire album of weird Elvis movie songs.

Hep Alien, Shawn and minkahed like this.
  5. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Pretty violent huh ?

The nod that Elvis gives after that car crashes is priceless !!!

Shawn likes this.
  6. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...One thing I thought I have had about Elvis' standard character in his movies - It has seemed to me that, even once Elvis was clearly an adult, his movies tended to steer away from showing him drinking at all! Is it ever even spelled out in VIVA LAS VEGAS that his character drinks, even in Sin City:eek:? Even to the extent of showing what is clearly an alcohol glass, or liquid that's not colored/textured like water/sody;)? My theory is, the people around him were aware (I think we can all agree:agree:) most dedicated Deep Southern fan base - And weren't there considerably more parts of the South pre-1966 or thereabout literally dry or culturally/regulation-ally discouraging the ol' Demon Rum:cool:?

7. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I saw KISSIN' COUSINS on AMC recent-ish

8. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

My years if familiarity with the Saints' version of " Kissin Cousins " helped - Funny enuff, they covered an officially-end-title " Kussin' Cousins #2 "! A 21st compliation had a never-till-then alternate " Roustabout " song - Any other fruits of such write-to-a-title competition?:confused:
    Aside from it being essentially a remake of LIL' ABNER, " JC " struck me for:
    (1) Bit that much is actually made of Elvis blond blood near-bro - I thought it would be a bigger deal.
    (2) I was reminded of reading, in EASY RIDERS AND RAGING BULLS, of how the NAACP went on a campaign in the mid-60s to get H'Wood to try for some kind of parity to 1960s American life in showing African-American bit part and extra actors - A USAF (I believe) division with an Italianesque pisano the POC-est!!:rolleyes::D Movies in general then I guess, I realize.
    (3) (I'm not taking time to look her name up now) The older actress in a mother part actually gets a SONG!:yikes: (Dubbed) WTF?

9. Yes, who could ever forget the immortal Pappy Won't You PLease Come Home:

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.