Thoughts on Martin Logan speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by heyMo, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ah! Yes, will do. Thanks.

2. heyMo

Yes, there is. Lots of great information.

3. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I heard them at the NY Audio Show in 2016, same place I heard the Harbeth 40.2. I mentioned the Harbeth in this thread because it left me "cold" - i.e. - unimpressed. For all the superlatives I've read about them, they simply did not impress me enough to merit all the hubbub.

Them Martin Logan electrostatics, and I heard the bigger model in their room, produced a distinctly unpleasant effect on me - i.e. below "cold". You did not ask for those opinions, so I didn't post it. To my ears, they sounded "clinical" or" analytical", or whatever the terms are used. I would maybe install them in a morgue's freezer, but not in my listening room. YMMV, of course.

yenyen, SandAndGlass and sunspot42 like this.
  4. heyMo

No, this is good actually. I was looking to get feedback from anyone with experience with ML speakers. There is no one sound fits all, so I will take this information with me when I give them a more serious listen. (When I get down to buying something.). As I will the others I am considering. Especially your comments about being clinical or analytical. As what ever I bring home will be here for quite a long time, I want to make as much of an educated decision as I can during my evaluations.

Thank you for responding.

Benzion likes this.
  5. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Nothing wrong with those brands. REG of TAS is a big fan of PSBs but has identified a little peakiness in the treble that he EQs out. I too found them a little brash for my taste on certain music at a local dealership.

As to auditioning in NC: we lived in Beaufort, NC, for 11 years. To audition speakers, I drove 3 or 4 hours to the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area. I'd stay at a motel, listening on Saturday and Sunday. What amazed me was that, even though I had made appointments and was shopping for a substantial upgrade, many dealers didn't put much effort into setting them up. For example, when demoing the Vandersteen 5 (cheaper then than now), the dealer didn't set up the bass EQ points for the room. I often wonder whether my choice was influenced more by the excellent setup and room acoustics of Advanced Audio in Cary than the competing speakers themselves.

6. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

It's hard to form reliable impressions at dealerships, which is why many people will advise a home audition if at all possible. Impressions at audio shows, I'd take with an even bigger pinch of salt -- setups there often are not ideal and may not reflect a typical domestic room. That is not to doubt anyone who says, I heard speaker X at a show and it was great/terrible/warm/cold.

7. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Im a huge fan of planars and electrostatics. However, never warmed up to Martin Logan for two reasons 1. Found they sound clean, detailed, analitical, and cold. Also (and more importantly) 2. I'm very sensitive to crossover anomalies and did not think the woofer and panel integrated well.
    Please note this is based on my listening prejudices and have not listened to their newer efforts in years.

sunspot42 likes this.
  8. heyMo

Thank you for your input. I do have a road trip in mind to look at some speakers, but not quite to Raleigh. But, who knows? To find something I will be happy with for the long haul, I may have to. Not familiar with Advanced Audio, will have to check out their website.

Thanks again.

9. heyMo

Your concern about crossover is one I had also. My original target in the ML line is the ESL, mainly from a price point. However, I believe this model has been out a while and was not updated in their last release of new speakers. This is why I may up my budget to include the ESL-X. I will need to give them a listen as they are in their newer line and I am not familiar with their sound.

Thanks for posting!

ZenMango likes this.
  10. matteos

matteos Stereotype

I heard a set powered by a McIntosh tube amp. Some of the best imaging I've ever heard. Very life like on certain recordings. They seemed like a bit of a hassle to me but I can certainly see the appeal of them.

Gardo and heyMo like this.
  11. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I bought a gently used pair of Martin Logan Theos about 5 months ago. My room is 12 feet wide by about 20 feet deep. Low ceiling since it’s up on the 3rd floor. Basically in the roof line. My Adcom 5500 amp went bad so I am still looking for a amp. I think they are great speakers though. I just need a different amp to get the best out of them.

12. heyMo

I first heard the ELS's with the Peachtree Nova 150, which I later purchased and will use with whichever speakers I purchase. I heard another demo with a Prima Luna. Not sure what your budget is, but if wanting tubes, I would suggest a Prima Luna. Since you are local, there is a dealer for both in Pineville.

Thank you for the positive note on the ML's!!

13. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

I have listened to Martin Logans multiple times. I like the theory. But in reality, I just never liked the sound that much. It could be electronics. I am a tube guy, and perhaps they don't match up well with tube amps (thus may disagree with Bachthoven's hypothesis). When it comes to speakers (and really all gear), there is no substitute for listening to them with your electronics in your listening room. That said, I never got the MLs home, because I did not like them on tube amps in the store. I get all of the complaints about cones, but at the end of the day, to me they sound better with my amps in my room. I love my Legacies.

14. heyMo

Probably obvious from this thread, the ML's were my first choice. I did have reservations about placement but a few posters relieved that concern where I think they may work. However, there have been other concerns expressed here that I had not thought of. Several posters mentioned they thought the sound to be "clinical", "analytical", or "cold." Were these your impressions as well? I'm formulating a "playlist" for my final audition and will definitely be giving them a close listen before I pull the trigger on them or anything else.

Thanks!

15. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Hey heyMo, you are hooked, as I said, they are not for everyone, there is no perfect sound reproducer out there. Compromise is the name of the game, then comes the money part.

My first experience with a massless driver was the Hill Plasmatronics in the late 1970's, just a gas emitting sound, ozone smell in the air, purple glow from a 'driver'?? $82,000, no bass at all but, Dayum did mids to highs blow my mind. :drool:

I've heard planars, ribbons and ESLs, they are all very demanding of the room and gear. I bought my Summits sight unseen and unheard because MLs have a very 'house' sound, the older ones had issues with the way the dynamic woofer integrated with the panel, I agree, however, I still miss my early run Sequels that had Jim Powers crossover, there was a magic I can't hear with my big $$ Summits.

I hope you go with your gut feeling on your speaker choice whatever it is, just know that when that ESL 'sound' gets under your skin, you will have dreams about that sound, the speed of the trumpet bark, the pluck of a string, the holy crap female vocal will drive you insane and welcome to the madness :cop:

If you go for the X's, plan on $$$'s for the amp, cables and sources, they don't suffer nonsense upstream, maybe where the analytical, cold responses have come from in posts above. I will say again, I've played some Lp's and Cds that made me smile just about every time, goosebumps, shake my head...are these really mine?? Hahaha! Yep, still playing with reflections from behind them, mostly, I just let them do their thing, 3.5' from the wall, 6' between, 10' from the sidewall, 7' from the front of the panels on the couch :righton:

16. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Look for ML Aerius from the 90s, great speakers and can be had for under a grand> that's what I have since 1995. :angel:

Aerius

sean

17. heyMo

Hi Stuwee, thanks for the post.

I'm thinking (hoping) my Peachtree Nova 150 will get along with the X's. It worked well with the regular ESL's when I was auditioning for an amp. This is likely where ML's started to percolate in the back of my mind. If anything, I'm sure I will want to upgrade my cartridge (Soundsmith Otello) with whatever I get. But, that will be a little while, after budget can handle it. (Along with a phono amp, currently Tavish Design Vintage, upgrade as well.)

Upgradeitus. When does it end?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Recently got a pair of ML Source for my second system. I love to listen to vinyl through them. Such a fascinating, different presentation compared to ordinary (dynamic) speakers. A bit like giant headphones... lots of detail without any strain or harshness. A nice alternative to have around. Tight sweet spot though. You have to be in the listening position to enjoy, outside of the listening position the sound is quite weird. If you're looking to fill your room with music, I'd look elsewhere.

19. heyMo

Sorry, but had to rush my last reply, wife wanted to go out to dinner. Anyway, I'm not familiar with the Summits, but have heard the Montis, which may be a later version? The Montis were awesome, so I'm sure you are really enjoying the Summits. I'm a little jealous, actually.

20. heyMo

Hi Sean,

I went to the link and these look like some awesome speakers. Most of the reviews I read had a much more substantial amp than my Peachtree, I believe. But that's not to say I won't check in to any local availability so I can have a listen.

Thanks!!

21. heyMo

Thanks for this. The very first time I heard ML's was in a Best Buy Magnolia. The guy said to have a seat and he put on some music. It sounded awesome. I was very impressed. Then he said to stand up. Entirely different experience, so I can see what you mean. This has been a consideration. But, I will say, 90% of my listening is in the sweet spot so the rest of the time, I am using it as background music as I'm doing other things outside of the sweet spot.

Sounds like something else I will need to test on my next listening session before making a decision. Just to make sure.

Thanks again.

22. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I heard a pair at an audio dealer's in Brookfield, CT and was surprised that they sounded that good with jazz. Not the least bit tinny and good bass. But could I only stay for a few minutes so don't know if I'd tire of them.

In the 1990's, Joey and Chandler kept their's for years. Although the placement implies they didn't listen to more than sports shows.
    [​IMG]

quicksilverbudie and heyMo like this.
  23. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Totally understand, hope it was a great dinner, may I ask what she thinks of the looks of the ML's? I think they are some of the most lovely things that produce great sound out there. my partner could care less about my system, absolutely hates the big black amp on the floor. He loves the look of them, when his brother and sister came to visit while I was at work they wanted to hear them...he said "I don't even know how to work this stereo" , Haha, mission accomplished :agree:

I've never heard the Montis, they have a single powered 10" woofer? I did read this though MartinLogan Montis Reserve Series Electrostatic Hybrid Loudspeaker , interesting, many other reviews out there, I chose the Summits because they had the best integration of powered woofers and the panel ever reviewed, dual 10"s powered by 200watt D-class amps each, the panels are powered by your amp of choice.

I really wanted the Sanders Magtech but, at $10,000, I couldn't swing it, Bought the big SAE instead, 500wpc @8ohms, and those panels can still swing the load to make it shut down for a millisecond, I'm talking 200watts continuous, peaks near 300+ on the meters in 8ohms. This is concert levels in my home, I don't always listen that loud, much less normally. Whoever says these speakers can't rock is nuts, with the powered woofers in the later models you get "True" bass, if it's there down to the mid twenties hz it is there, you must use the controls on the back to dial them into your room, a nice parametric touch imho. You can get more slam with a big well designed cone sub, but, is it real?? It's kind of scary having so much power at your fingertips, powered woofs and big amp for the panels...:yikes:

I'm looking into an older SAE 1800 parametric eq to run at the listening area to play sound engineer, there is not a perfect speaker/room or recording...

24. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

when I went from my VTL 75/75 to Quicksilver V4s the ML sing like never before, they need power!

sean

25. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

[QUOTE="stuwee, post: 18291721, member: 17905 :agree: I've never heard the Montis, they have a single powered 10" woofer? I did read this though MartinLogan Montis Reserve Series Electrostatic Hybrid Loudspeaker , interesting, many other reviews out there, I chose the Summits because they had the best integration of powered woofers and the panel ever reviewed, dual 10"s powered by 200watt D-class amps each, the panels are powered by your amp of choice. ..[/QUOTE]

I have heard both the Montis and the Summit. The Montis have a smaller footprint and are easier to place in a room but they don't go quite as low as the Summit. To my ear the panel-sub integration is a bit better on the Montis than the Summit but they are very close and both are both excellent speakers. I think both the Montis and particularly the Summits might be too much speaker for the OP's room. Big panels like this really need about 8 full feet between them or they sound congested. To get them this far apart in the OP's room the speakers would be really close to the sidewalls. The sweet spot for a room that size would probably be a very gently used pair of Ethos. They are available for some amazing prices. The Ethos have a bit bigger panel than the ESL-X and the powered subwoofer, with a separate volume control for bass. They also have a front-firing 8" active sub, complimented by a down firing 8" passive radiator. This allows for a smaller box and provides flex to put the speaker closer to the front wall. The issue of course, is that you need to plug-in the Ethos. The new Classic ESL-9 is an interesting speaker. It has the exact same panel as the Ethos but a passive sub. Considering the huge price differential between a nice used pair of a Ethos and the new Classic 9, there is no way I would ever choose it though. There is not enough new technology in the new speaker and personally, I prefer MLs with active subs because they are easier to drive and integrate into a room.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    4xoddic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.