Thoughts on my next amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Speedmaster, Jan 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

New Classic amps have a lot of power per dollar!. I noticed prices have jumped at Parasound like everywhere lately. The 2125 is 225 WPC into 4 ohms. Price $899.00. Leaves $600 for a preamp with the mentioned sub woofer output. The Parasound 200 preamp is $999 now. So a little over budget.

Speedmaster and Rick58 like this.
  2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Not sure about sonics, but I love the Parasound 200 preamp for its remote control of balance, which I find essential now that I’ve experienced it. Sometimes recordings need just a little tweak left or right to lock in the soundstage properly.

If both of those have balanced connections, it’s even better. Might be worth stretching the budget a little bit to get some thing like that combo.

Boltman92124 and head_unit like this.
  3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

where to get reliable, robust 150Wpc into 4 ohms (with all the other stuff) for <$1500?
    @ That I don't know, as integrated. Maybe used? Maybe not. That's why I would look at towers, becuase

CXA81...is at least 2x the present amp’s power
    @ Yes, 3.4 dB louder as rated (for what that's worth, speakers aren't resistors. Neither amp is a low impedance powerhouse but maybe that doesn't exist in integrateds at lower prices either). That is only like a click or two of the volume knob, not a dramatic difference. My feeling is @Speedmaster would want more dramatic difference for the money?

CXA81 has a sub out
    @ I like Cambridge but this seems a perfect example of what I hate and think is stupid and is not well understood in the market. As with many stereo units with sub out, there appears to be no internal highpass filter to cut the bass out of the satellite speakers and out of the amp. The sub can add some bottom oomph, but the satellites and amp still strain uselessly. So dumb.

I have and recommend the SVS SB1000 Pro sub, at $600 is a bargain IMHO. Remote control and Parametric EQ make it easy to use.
    @ Nice! We have an SB2000 Pro, yes quite nice. And in systems with no room correction I would think the EQ could help a lot.

Rick58 likes this.
  4. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

New Classic amps don't have balanced inputs. They do have 2 sets of speaker outputs, high pass filter and are stable down to 2 ohms. Yeah the 2125 and 200 pre is a nice combo for about $2k.
    Parasound New Classic 200 Pre Stereo Preamplifier and DAC
    Parasound 2125v.2 2 Channel Power Amplifier

Rick58 likes this.
  5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Hey, the Parasound 200 preamp has high-pass filtered main outputs (if selected) and an <80Hz OR wideband sub output. Pretty cool!

Yes, the PEQ is best used (IMHO) as 'subtractive' filters at the room mode frequencies. This plus my room treatment gets me flat response down to 20Hz. Amazing.

Hey, these seem like the cat's meow for the OP! Maybe he can stretch the budget a bit (and even more later for the SB1000 Pro!).

It's fun spending other people's money ... :D

head_unit and Boltman92124 like this.
  6. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Prices keep going up. The 200 Pre used to be $799 and you could get an open box 2125 from Safe and Sound for $599. No more. I've been happy with my 275 v2 New Classic. Now even those are going for $750. The 275 does do 150wpc 4 ohms. It is a compact, cosmetic match for the 200 pre also. Same chassis. I was going to get a 2nd 275 to bridge to 200 wpc(8 ohms). Still might if there's a good open box deal.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Rick58 likes this.
  7. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

I have the Cambridge Audio CXA81, which I like a lot. I use it with some Dynaudio speakers that have 88 dB sensitivity and are 4 ohm. My only gripe is that the remote volume is a bit hard to get right at low volumes. The volume knob is fine.

This replaced an underpowered NAD amp. The difference in bass control and instrument separation is striking. A lot of fun to listen to.

Rick58 likes this.
  8. krambigmac

krambigmac Forum Resident

The Outlaw rr2160 is $1k and does 165w into 4 ohms. It has no issues driving my JBL L100 Classics which are about 90db sensitivity into 4 ohms. It also has a sub out with bass management.

RR2160MkII Stereo Receiver

rodentdog and Rick58 like this.
  9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Hell yeah, that IS amazing! Woo Hoo! Now you need three more to get down to 10 Hz!! :laugh:
    Hey are you by where the river tubing runs? (I have a bunch of in-laws in Meridian etc, I've gone running along the river various times).

Rick58 likes this.
  10. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own Thread Starter

Well, I’m not sure what I’m looking for. I know there’s ‘better’ out there. So, not just louder but more detailed and separated I guess.

I’m still working on getting the funds from the one who actually runs the finances in our house. She’s not that big into expensive hifi gear… :)

Thanks for this, I have the Cambridge on the list of amps to research.

Rick58 likes this.
  11. Speedmaster

Parasound added to the research list as well

Rick58 and StratDoc like this.
  12. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Response to 20Hz is good enough, thanks! The sub has a filter to roll things off <20Hz, but of course if there’s LOUD information below that some will get thru. There’s a few recordings where I dial back the sub volume by an additional 6dB, and disengage the tone control on my pre. I do generally have a 4 dB bass boost dialed in for that 70s Loudness contour vibe.

Yes, the tubing runs are on the way north out of town, towards McCall. We’ve gone that way a few times, might try it sometime! This is a beautiful area, but getting more crowded and expensive. We’re partially responsible, having moved here … from California … :hide: but I like to say (truthfully) I’m from Texas (and my wife’s from NY). We just made a 40 year side trip to CA on the way here … :laugh: We bought a new house in 2018, very glad we did. I had to live in CA another 3 years, only able to come here occasionally. As of Feb 2021 I’m here for good, although I still have to travel back occasionally. I like that arrangement much better. :)

head_unit likes this.
  13. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

I'm trying to think of a few ideas/brands for you to add to the list, but I was wondering if you're comfortable sharing your budget range?

14. Speedmaster

Budget: max. 900 euro, but a little upward leeway of the right amp comes along, used not a problem.

15. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

I think you should really also give class D amps a look as well like I said before.

Class D is not what it use to be anymore.

Speedmaster likes this.
  16. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Got a Denon dma 800ne yesterday running it in analogue mode for my only source a Thorens td 160 , have to say I think it sounds brilliant so far, lots of punch in the low end and detail in the top end, piano stuff in particular has a nice tone on it too. Can only compare it to my recent amps, a Arcam Alpha 8, a Nad 3130 and a Onkyo 9010 but I think its great.

Speedmaster likes this.
  17. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

If your going to go new Parasound or Bryston used NAD or Adcom depending on your budget

18. Just Outlaw

Just Outlaw Well-Known Member

Check Bladelius Tyr mk2 listed on Maarktplaats.

19. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

20. Julio Alejandro

Julio Alejandro Well-Known Member

I'm considering buying the A23 with a pre amp that has DIRAC and can have Tidal like the NAD C658, what do you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.