Thoughts on outfake AI-generated vocals

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jgkojak, Apr 26, 2023.

1. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas Thread Starter

The new AI is really wild. We are now getting some pretty convincing vocals.

Freddie Mercury doing Billie Jean.

AI simulating an early Paul (80s) doing 2018's I Don't Know from Egypt Station, which features a much older sounding Paul

A couple thoughts...

-Many of these are only sort of convincing now, but in 5 years...?

-What if this was used as a tool. What if McCartney recorded a song like Fuh You, and de-aged his own vocals using AI? Legit?

2. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

It sounds like Arthur Mullard.

Halfwit likes this.
  3. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume 12 HOT hits for a COOL penny!

If I had a million chances to guess the singer, Freddie Mercury wouldn't have been one of my guesses.

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

A pretty good Freddie, but in that first verse, I swear that he’s singing flat.

Is that even possible?

TimeWarper and Rooster_Ties like this.
  5. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Right now, it's too unlistenable to be convincing

As a way to manipulate vocals on a modern song I say why not. Specifically if you have an amazing catalog of untouched vocals to work with, it could be incredibly useful for making new songs - it's not like studio trickery is new, so I can't say I would care too much if the technology was there

Usagi75 likes this.
  6. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

We were discussing this on another thread, but hearing the AI Paul singing "I Don't Know" is mind-blowing -- by far the best I've ever heard.

If I was McCartney and I was aware of this, I'd use AI for all my vocals in the future. No kidding. It's that convincing.

BwanaBob, Rojo, Matt A and 2 others like this.
  7. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

That Freddie Mercury one sounds awful!! :eek::tsk::laugh::winkgrin:

eno, ScottInDallas, aravel and 3 others like this.
  8. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I agree, it is shockingly good (at least on my IPad). Looking forward to hearing other forum members’ opinions!
    I’m not sure I can grasp all the implications of this tech yet, much less judge it as good, bad, or mixed: AI generated “new” songs, “sung” by people’s favorite artists, living or dead, sounding like they’re in their prime…even if the songs are not “written” by AI, it still feels revolutionary.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    905 likes this.
  9. 905

905 Senior Member

Now that is incredible. It would fit snugly in with Tug of War. Or give Pipes a boost.

Rocco, 51IS and Lewisboogie like this.
  10. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

Somebody needs to convince Yoko to give Paul the rest of John's unfinished demos. Paul can finish them off so we have a bunch of new Lennon-McCartney songs.

Let the technology improve a bit, and then give us a final Beatles album. :righton:

11. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Does this mean that one day we'll get a version of the Yellow Submarine movie with convincing Beatles voices synced to the animation?
    The John and Paul voices in the original movie were close enough to pass, but the George and Ringo were anything but.

12. Uzi_of_Ooze

Uzi_of_Ooze Forum Resident

At this point any "new" discovery will have to be looked at with very careful ears and have provenance to back it up.

Problem is. Do new generations even care?

Ms. Daisy, izgoblin, Shan3435 and 7 others like this.
  13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I can assure you these A.I. possibilities have not escaped the notice of corporate powers-that-be.

Pretty soon all the griping about Auto Tune will seem quaint, when Apple grants Giles Martin et al permission to create a new Beatles album. Queen making a new album with "Freddie". Or something similar.

Think it can't happen?

Off-topic but, my first big fear is what might happen in the 2024 U.S. election with deepfaked opposition ads. I know that's already being looked into by the advert providers for both parties (and the Chinese, Russians etc.).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  14. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

This will cause a few heads to explode in this forum, but I’ve come across large amounts of “Kanye” covering Taylor Swift. Much of it sounds really good. :hide:

or maybe it’s actually Kanye. :wtf:

15. Javier Santivanez

Javier Santivanez Forum Resident

My 2 cents. Paul's take is really , really good.

However, I want to mention that the term "AI" is starting to be used a bit too freely (and I am referring to the Youtube posters who put the titles). AI refers to activities which require a prediction, a classification, or any task which requires decision making (data driven). This application is completely "deterministic" (meaning, there are no decisions once the created model is set).

This great example (Paul singing as 40 years ago) is more a case of very advanced digital signal processing to synthesize a vocal tract (the area from the nose and the nasal cavity down to the vocal cords deep in the throat). Obviously this is brought to reality given the advanced computing capabilities of today. Every singer's vocal tract can be modeled as a filter, that transforms each musical note's fundamental frequencies into a complex waveform with many harmonics (the same happens with musical instruments). What I imagine they are doing is that they are estimating the vocal tract filter by training a computer with many examples (probably most of McCartney's catalog), then "demixing" the vocal track from the song, putting that signal through the filter, and remixing it all again.

This is not unlike the noise reduction techniques that have been used for decades whereas you transform a signal by estimating a "filter". Once the filter is calculated, there are no decisions and everything is just deterministic. That is why in my mind this is more a case of advanced DSP, as opposed to AI.

Trader Joe, Rojo, DLeet and 7 others like this.
  16. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

Prior to hearing that McCartney AI vocal, I would have been against something like this.

But if we had a new Beatles album -- totally convincing vocals from John and Paul, playing that is indistinguishable from the honest-to-God Beatles -- would that be so terrible?

17. Nintari

Nintari Forum Resident

My thoughts? We should all be scared. That's my thoughts. Because I will guarantee that right now, some guy in a suit is thinking hmmm... hire song writers, and when this stuff matures, I can sell all new records of all the dead greats! And then, when the AI gets better at writing songs, I can employee only a computer and bang... money in the bank.

AI will eventually destroy the arts if we let it, and right now, it seems we're all ready to let it.

18. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

More Arthur Mullard songs? Excellent!

nsm, FunkFather and ajsmith like this.
  19. Badly out of tune in spots. That's a fail.

20. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'm conflicted.

The real test would be the writing. Tall, tall order for a machine. But I'm not betting agin it with my own money ...

21. Javier Santivanez

Exactly. The writing of songs per se can be labeled as an "AI" activity as it pertains making decisions (chord sequences, lyrics, etc).

Shan3435 and bhazen like this.
  22. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

That's why I want Paul to work on John's unfinished demos now. Leave us something for posterity that we can work with, Macca!

Shan3435 and Lewisboogie like this.
  23. Javier Santivanez

That would be awesome : ). In fact what you described reminds me of when I first heard "Free as a Bird". I remember many people did not like it but I could not believe I would ever see the launch of a "new" Beatles song in my lifetime. That is why I am so fond of the Anthology series : )

24. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

No links to copyright infringements, please.

- Kevin

25. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Terrible? To each his own. A "new Beatles album"? No.

Sear, William Smart, Usagi75 and 3 others like this.