Thoughts on Sonny Clark "Cool Struttin" XRCD also why no SACD Lee Morgan "Cornbread"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

Figured I'd save a thread and just combine two separate questions. I think both of the listed albums are among the best of 60's jazz. "Cornbread" was my first introduction to Morgan and I now own 10 of his albums on cd including "Live at the Lighthouse" which should be considered one of the great live jazz recordings of alltime... imo. As for Cool Struttin? While it sounds less sophisticated to my ears than Coltrane's stuff or Morgan's, it still grabs me and doesn't let go. Was thinking about picking up the XRCD version but wanted to get some opinions first. With "Cornbread" I'm kinda surprised that LeeWay and Sidewinder (both great albums) were put out on sacd by A.P but not "Cornbread". Does anyone know if there is a plan to get it out there?

triple likes this.
  2. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Not to get technical, but Cool Struttin' was recorded in January, 1958....

3. mindblanking

I knew I should've walked the 10 feet to my collection and check the cd!

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Excellent album. I like the XRCD, but I haven't compared it to my early Blue Note CDs.

An SACD would have been nice, but Analogue Productions and Audio Wave had an agreement of some kind not to pursue the same titles. Perhaps Steve knows the details.

As for Cornbread, it seems that Analogue Productions[/i] is done with Blue Note reissues, at least for now. It also seems as though Audio Wave is not going to complete their XRCD series. So I wouldn't bank on an audiophile release of Cornbread. :(

5. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

I've got the Ron McMaster versions of both titles, and they're serviceable. At a minimum, Jackie McLean is kept from sounding too bright or screechy on them.

6. mindblanking

Thanks guys. I have the original Cornbread but not the Cool Struttin... Think I'll pick up the xrcd

7. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

"Ceora" is heavenly. :love:

:wave:

8. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I have the DAD of "Cool Struttin" and I really love the album and the sound quality. Does anyone have the DAD and XRCD to compare? I don't have any xrcds. Am I missing out?

9. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I preferred the mastering on the XRCD and the XRCD has bonus tracks that the DAD does not have.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Cool Struttin' XRCD has the complete session (6 tracks). Alan Yoshida's mastering is excellent.

Mark E. Moon and carledwards like this.
  11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I haven't compared them, but the XRCD is really good.

12. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

13. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I'm not familiar with the Cool Struttin' XRCD personally, but judging by those that I have heard, I find it hard to believe that there could be a better version as there is no SACD available.

14. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Cornbread wasn't part of the RVG remasters or Connoisseur series either. So it's an absolute classic Blue Note title that has never been reissued on cd since 1988. Something with the tapes perhaps? (Just speculating here obv.)

15. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

You guys are going to cost me more money! :) :( :) I don't need to start liking another (pseudo)format....

16. Indeed, I highly recommend the XRCD.

17. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Then there's Lee Morgan's Candy, also on XRCD, for who knows how long....

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Anything mastered by Alan Yoshida is excellent.

19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

20. mindblanking

Wow... Funny thing is that I posted this last night and then today was in a store and found the DAD. Didn't even know what a DAD was. Said 24/96 DAD from "Master Source... blah blah blah" Store was having a close out so disc was only $8. Listening to it right now as I type this. Sounds really great... Not sure I need the XRCD now but am still curious about it.

21. mindblanking

I own both that and "Tom Cat". They both sound superb.

SteelyTom likes this.
  22. mindblanking

Nice... because I have two copies of the original Blue Note. Really surprised it's not being revisited. Yeah, the tapes maybe.

23. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Yeah, I've got an early-ish XRCD Yoshida mastered of Zoot Sims' Quietly There, also well worth getting and still around, for now.

24. mindblanking

Thankfully I have a few of his in my collection and, yes, each one is brilliantly done.

25. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Steve, which Alan Yoshida masterings on XRCD do you not recommend due to wrong tapes? I know all of the Blue Note discs are fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.