Thoughts on the Marantz TT-15S1?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheRavenPoe, Mar 26, 2017.

1. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

I recently installed an ATN95SA stylus on the Virtuoso (version 1) cart that came with my TT-15s1. I'm quite surprised to find that I prefer it in many ways to the 2m Bronze I'm running on my 1200-GR. The upgraded Virtuoso seems to beat the Ortofon in transparency, detail, and, especially, bass. The Bronze bass sounds a bit "one-note" in comparison.

The Bronze seems to beat the Virtuoso in solidity and rhythmic drive (vague terms, I know), but the Clearaudio cart still seriously impresses me. Perhaps it's the Shibata tip winning out? Along with the extra detail, I also hear noticeably more surface noise. A record--Rickie Lee Jones S/T, Warner Brothers pressing--that hardly sounds noisy at all on the Bronze has a fair number of tics on the Virtuoso. But it still sounds overall better.

I'm surprised b/c the Virtuoso is well-regarded but most seem to think it over-priced, and almost everyone seems to give the Bronze good reviews, so I'd expected them to be basically equal, with some trade-offs in various attributes. I didn't think the Virtuoso (with Shibata tip) would be so clearly better for me.

Anyone else have this experience with the Bronze and the Virtuoso? The comparison is making me think I should upgrade the cart on my 1200-GR, as that's, by broad acclaim, likely the better TT. (Or perhaps just get a 2m Black stylus.)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Joel S likes this.
  2. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

The CMB Upgrade is pretty expensive. It's around $650. Occasionally ( I mean like two in the last 5 years) they come up for sale on the used market. One just sold recently and I think it sold for about $275-300

3. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Yeah, the price puts a real damper on my interest in doing this upgrade. But given that I got the table new for $1000 it may be worthwhile. Addman27 indicates it makes a real difference..

Did you see the used kits for sale on audiogon?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

It definitely makes a difference, though not all would agree that it's for the better, and some wind up going back to a standard platter bearing, at least on the more upscale models. I have the Avantgarde and like the CMB a lot, but it's not without fault since the platter is effectively floating on the magnetic field and vertical motion is not well damped. I overfill the bearing on mine to keep oil in the magnetic gap, and that helps damp the motion some. Like suspended tables, it is susceptible to footfalls. Unlike suspended tables, the tonearm is fixed in position and the platter moves, so it works great without any disturbances, almost frictionless and noiseless, but the VTA also changes with any platter weight change. Some companies just use the magnetics to unload a more conventional ball bearing for low noise with heavy platters (see for example the Hanss tables, they are sourcing their magnetic platter bearing from Germany, but don't know if it might be from Clearaudio), but Clearaudio chose to float the platter.

riverrat likes this.
  5. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Ive had a few days with my new tt-15s1 and I am blown away. This was an upgrade from my Pro-ject iii and what an upgrade. I notice the biggest improvement with vocals. Super life like and haunting. The musicians feel like they are in the room with you. If this cart needs a break in period I am very excited to hear how much it can improve from here. I think this is a great table for the money and I was able to preview my friends music hall 5.3 w bronze before purchasing the marantz and it is no contest which the better turntable is.

6. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

Thanks for the tip. Right now I am running a hyper elliptic stylus on my Virtuoso and have been waiting for thakker.eu to stock up on it or the shibata stylus (both being Thakker branded) to secure a spare stylus. Now I think I will try a genuine AT-VMN95ML nude microline this time,

rbmitch2 likes this.
  7. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

I passed through the same experience; I bought a Bronze for the tt15, but in the end returned to the Virtuoso. The Bronze sounded with too much emphasis on the highs and I hadn't got the sensation that it tracks better, conversely, the Virtuoso tracks up to 90um instead the Bronze arrives at 80um.
    I am still curious what kind of diamond is installed on the original Virtuoso as Clearaudio doesn't declare it.
    In your opinion, as you own both, which is the better turntable between the sl1200gr and the Marantz?

wbass likes this.
  8. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

I do like the Bronze and its overall tonal balance, but, yeah, the Virtuoso with the Shibata tip is pretty impressive. To be honest, my only comparison is to the 2m Blue, which I also like, but the Bronze definitely wins that battle. I just got back into spinning LPs this Dec. (my collection was in storage for 5 years), so I'm no expert on anything, but jumped in with both feet and been having a blast. I'm impressed with the Marantz TT and got it for a great deal, but the 1200-GR does feel better built to me--heavier, more solid, built to tighter tolerances, etc. And I dislike the finicky nature of having to switch the belt between the grooves on the motor on the Marantz, so the Technics is more convenient in that regard.

But the speed stability of the Marantz seems quite good, as does the arm. Hard to say which arm would win in a shootout. Or whether the Virtuoso would ultimately sound better on the Technics. I suppose I could switch both cartridges around and do that shootout, but it's a lot of fussy work, so I'll just have fun spinning records for now.

If I just had the Marantz or the Technics, I think I'd be pretty happy with either! The Marantz, which I got for about half street price, is definitely the value leader.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  9. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

It was on eBay and Audiogon but sold maybe a month or so back. When I was considering it, I figured at full price, it was better to put the money into an upgraded table. Well I'm on my third since the TT15. Maybe I should have just done it, I'd have allot more money in my pocket. :doh:

10. Addman27

Addman27 Forum Resident

The cmb really helps with isolation and dampening. I've never had any problems with foot falls. Has anyone ever upgraded the arm?

11. hifiguyex

hifiguyex Active Member

One thing to think about when replacing a stylus, going from expensive to cheaper is the stylus used does make a difference. Case in point...Shure V15 types III, IV, V cartridges from the 1970's to 1990's. When Shure was no longer able to purchase the type/quality of diamonds that were used in the V15's, they discontinued the entire line. As opposed to going with an inferior stylus.

12. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that when I replaced the stylus on my Virtuoso, it was a step up, i.e. a better stylus than whatever came "stock". Clearaudio has always been secretive, or at least not forthcoming, with details regarding the stock stylus, and also whatever commonalities and differences the Virtuoso may have with the stock AT95.

wbass likes this.
  13. Davey

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate, the Namiki microridge diamond is still used on many cartridges, it was more likely the rolled beryllium cantilever tube that ultimately became too difficult to maintain consistency from the Mexican manufacturer, and their sole supplier of beryllium discontinued production. So the V15xMR was discontinued in 2004, but they didn't discontinue their entire line until last year.

But I think most of us would agree with your main point that the stylus can make big difference.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  14. hifiguyex

hifiguyex Active Member

I was only passing along what I read about Shure many years ago concerning the V15 series. And I'm sure it was a statement from Shure. And when I said "entire line" I was referring to the V15. During this century I have purchased the M97xE twice. Never thought it was as good as the V15 series.

Davey likes this.
  15. Davey

That's fine, but wasn't there only one V15 toward the end? I don't think there was an entire line of them in the 90s and beyond. But no matter, point taken.

16. hifiguyex

hifiguyex Active Member

I don't know..I was guessing about the period of the V15 series. From the '70's into the '90's I had the type III, then the IV, finally V. And by the time I needed a new stylus for the V, there were none to be found where I lived, before I had internet. And I never knew of the V15xMR, unfortunately.

17. PhilinSC

PhilinSC Forum Resident

Based on the great info in this thread, I joined the club this past Saturday, picking up a new [floor display] TT-15S1. Mulled over a few of the Projects', the MFSL, and EAT's while at the shop.

While the Marantz was a few $$ more than some, a few $$ less than others, this thing just sounds 'right' and really is close to being a slam-dunk-no-brainer.

Having owned everything from Dual to Thorens to Linn to SOTA over the years - but just now getting back into it now that time is my own - I'm smitten.

Sounds great & it's fun rediscovering LP's that I've been moving from state to state for the last 30+ years.

Now help me on an amp, speakers, & cd player will ya?

Thanks folks.

18. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Need a little more guidance to offer meaningful input on fleshing out your system. E.g., budget, previous system, what you are thinking at this point..

19. PhilinSC

PhilinSC Forum Resident

Riverrat, thanks for the offer - I'm upgrading after too many years, raising a family took me out of the hobby for a long, long time. I was blessed to work at a great shop during my youth, experiencing & appreciating the likes of Acoustat, Dahlquist, Cizek, Advent, Boston Acoustics and Spica; electronics from Kenwood, Tandberg, Revox, Robertson, Belles, PSE, ARC, etc..

Used Spica TC's for years, until lost to an ex; mated to a PSE Studio II preamp, Robertson 4010 power amp, a Music Hall 25 cd player, and (now) the Marantz TT.

Budget has not been set, but have a mental block with speakers or other components over $5k each. It just ain't going to happen (famous last words)...

I'm in a new area, renting until I learn the city & figure out where I want to buy or build. So for the next 18-24 months, I'll be in a room with the acoustics of a racquetball court. Sennheiser HD-600's may be my savior.

My son is bringing up a pair of Boston Acoutics monitors to tide me over; I've abused the credit card again, ordering a pair of Q Acoustics 40's to mess around with. If I like them great, if not, I'll give to my son or send them back. These are not intended as the end-game speakers, the future house will dictate that.

I'm intrigued by the Belles Aria integrated, having owned Dave's stuff in the past. I've heard the Primaluna integrated, it's a nice piece. Parasound's JC products seem to have a good rep, although I haven't spent any time with them to date.

For the digital front end, the Marantz 8006 and Ruby are appealing. I'm not 100% in on the streaming piece just yet.

I value openess, imaging, and speed the most; can't tolerate brightness. Musical taste is all over the place, except I have yet to appreciate opera.

Ok, have fun. Welcome your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

20. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

These details should help others here give you some focused feedback. But I can tell you right now, you have a MUCH more nuanced and experienced history in audio than I do, and also an apparently much more ample budget than I've ever had. So I won't be much help, unfortunately!

Good luck with your new home and system.

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'd suggest starting a new thread so as to guarantee more views and a higher likelihood of getting helpful advice. Otherwise, only those who own or are interested in the Marantz are likely to read your post.

bever70 and riverrat like this.
  22. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

I am little disappointed with the dust cover. I got mine used and it came with the expensive $$$ one you had to special order. The problem is the back has a big opening that lets a lot of dust inside. Almost every few days I have to give it a dusting. I am tempted to build some kind of curtain to close the back up..

23. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I keep my Marantz turntable in a Can-Am steel cabinet, with a flip-door front, on a pull-out drawer so I can pull it out and change the belt between 33.3/45 speed.

Electronics Stereo Cabinet Media Center and CD Storage Cabinets

I realize this solution is not for everyone... But it works great for me and keeps any dust away!

(EDIT: Oops, that first photo is with my old Thorens turntable, before I got my Marantz.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12" 45rpm likes this.
  24. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

Let us know what you find to work best!

Marantz TT-15 Dust Cover by JnB Audio:

I purchased the cheaper one from eBay instead of the very expensive one on Music Direct.

With very limited options for this TT, I am very satisfied with it. It looks very professional and adds to the aesthetics I like. It reduced dust accumulation and increased the time between when I like to detail the Marantz.
    I agree the opening in the back is too much. I noticed it was stated in the description so at least it wasn't a surprise. I'm curious if they are unable to make the gap less due to the limitation of their equipment. I don't notice an unusual amount of dust collecting but my TT is not located near a vent, I keep the carpet vacuumed and cleaned, the room dusted, and run an air purifier when the room is not in use. Having a light under the until also brings out any foreign objects so I suppose it's all part of the ongoing "battle of the dust".

Previous to this I tried a soft clear vinyl cover. It fit snug but looked bad and I had to be careful that the vinyl didn't run up under the cartridge and touch the needle. That is now a dust cover for other electronics.

25. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I've just glanced at the site, but doesn't JnB Audio offer two versions of this dust cover -- one with and one without the gap in the back?

With a gap ($235): Custom MARANTZ TT 15S1 (Pro Series ST Dust Cover) By JnB Audio
    "-= Custom Build -- Please Note =-
    Rear panel of the dust cover is omitted in this build to allow cover to be lifted upward & then pulled forward for removal of the dust cover from the Turntable"

Without a gap ($215): Custom MARANTZ TT 15S1 (Pro Series ST Dust Cover) By JnB Audio

Wouldn't the version without the rear panel omitted be more suited for your needs? Or are you saying that even the version with the rear panel has a gap that is sufficient to allow dust to float in and accumulate?