Thoughts on the Marantz TT-15S1?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheRavenPoe, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

I was not aware of that. I put an offer in on their ebay store and when mine arrived it has a huge section removed from the back. Only about 1" comes down from the top. When I look at these images from the links and ebay now, I notice a much smaller area is removed from the back and I like it much better. I feel like I missed some information, ordered an older version or was sent the wrong one.

12" 45rpm likes this.
  2. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

3. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

[​IMG]

dbz, hifisoup, Lucca90 and 1 other person like this.
  4. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Sounds like I have the same as yours. Very strange why they put such a big opening in the back...

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  5. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

JackG likes this.
  6. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Is there a youtube or other instructional video on how to do this? My Virtuoso cantilever broke off. Can I still do this?

My understanding was if I took it to a dealer I would get a new Virtuoso not a retip for $666. Maybe I misunderstood. But if I could save $500, I would rather do that. It would be a backup for my Soundsmith Zyphre.

7. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

HERE is a video showing how to remove the stock stylus.

This page also has a link to a video by the same guy that I watched a couple times, in which he shows how to trim the plastic "wings" off a replacement AT95 series stylus (there are many options up to and including Shibatas) to leave a unit that looks like the stock one, and how to pop that into place in the Virtuoso cartridge. Unfortunately, the link is now dead; the video having been taken down. Who knows why. As I opined in a previous post, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that either Clearaudio or Audio Technica, or both corporations pressured the guy to take the video down.

I managed to do the swap, including trimming the replacement, without reviewing the video again, which I originally watched about a year ago. Also, I think the replacement styli will snap into place just fine even without being trimmed. I have no idea if or how this would change the sonic characteristics. The video basically showed the same guy carefully trimming off the "wings" with an Exacto knife. That's what I did.

There are some other threads that discuss this swap. Short answer would be that you should definitely try it. If I can do it, most people could I think.

AKA-Chuck G likes this.
  8. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

The swap is very easy! I used nail trimmers to cut off the 'wings'. It worked out great. I put in a hyperelliptical AT95 stylus.

9. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Can you let me know what to expect with a new TT-15?

1. Is the cartridge mounted when the turntable arrives?
    2. Is there a jig or something to"make sure" the cartridge is perfectly aligned?
    3. What set up is required, when the turntable arrives?

Thanks so much for your help.:righton:

10. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

There is considerable setup. The turntable is in pieces when it arrives. The cartridge is in a separate box. The tonearm is another piece, as is the plinth, the platter, the motor, the belt, etc.

I appreciated it because it forced me to walk through every step of how a belt-drive turntable is assembled, so that I can feel confident checking and rechecking alignment, VTF, etc. in the future, as well as swapping out cartridges, tonearms, or anything else I might want to try.

EDIT: Along with this turntable, I also bought an array of cartridge setup/configuration tools that I have never owned before, like a stylus scale, alignment protractor, etc. This is because previously I had relied on the "pre-mounted" cartridge of previous turntables I've owned, and never tried to adjust or replace any of them. So now I have all the tools I need to be in control of my turntable to keep it in peak performance. I'm already looking at some LP Gear replacement styluses, because I've listened to more vinyl in the last year or two (since I got my Marantz TT-15S1) than I'd listened to in probably the previous 15-20 years combined!

Craig.

11. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Thanks riverrat, I did find that video and wondered the same thing on why part 2 was taken down. I would think both would have been taken down if the AT/Clearaudio got involved. Anyway, I did part 1 pretty easily and think I can do part 2 easily as well. Do you think its worth getting the Shibata stylus for $157. That one seems the best.

ATN95SH Shibata Stylus for Audio - our # 710-DSH

12. rbmitch2

rbmitch2 Forum Resident

I haven't tried a Shibata stylus on my Virtuoso, but have used an LPGear Vivid Line and now playing an AT-VMN95ML. I liked the Vivid Line at lot, but the Microline is noticeably better. The ATN95SH &VL styluses are bonded to the cantilever and the newer AT's are nude mounted.

warp2600 likes this.
  13. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

The cartridge is not mounted, you just have to connect it to the tonearm and screw it to the haedshell. Pay attention that there is an error in the manual which says to shift the central screw forward in the slot to set the correct overhang. I suggest you to download an arc protractor for the satisfy tonearm, you will find it for free on the web to set the correct overhang.
    Regarding the vtf I found the 2.3g is the sweet spot for the Virtuoso.
    For the antiskating device, if you position it leaving three spires visible before the screw you will have the correct antiskating amount.
    Azimuth is set beforehand by manufacturer

Fifth-Chord and Litejazz53 like this.
  14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I'm thinking buy this table.

My scenario: I don't want spend more than $1500 and I possibly want a table for keep it as is, I mean I don't want spend more on upgrades, why upgrades this table? the platter? the arm? maybe the cart?

For the money sounds like a good deal, arm + cart.

Oh! one more thing: My fav design on turntables are the Clearaudio's I prefer over VPI, Rega or any other table, so this Marantz design is great.

It worth buy this table in 2019?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  15. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Had mine about 10 years now, no desire to change. Only replaced the cartridge following an insurance claim, and had an acrylic cover made.

izgoblin, warp2600 and stenway like this.
  16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

replaced the cartridge for the same Clear Audio Virtuoso?

I know some people prefer Moving Coil carts etc. but this MM is ok?

17. sound chaser

I went up to Maestro, which at the time would be a Mark 1.

stenway likes this.
  18. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Some people says that bass is not great, is true?

19. sound chaser

Not in my system, never heard that before :confused:

formu_la likes this.
  20. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

WBass, you're the person to ask. I'm choosing between a 1200GR and the Marantz TT. You own both. Which do you prefer? Thanks.

wbass likes this.
  21. PhilinSC

PhilinSC Forum Resident

Considering I just went through the same process and brought one home, I vote yes.

FWIW I always subscribed to the platform of getting the very best cartridge & installing it in a tonearm that will let the stylus do its job properly; with a drive system that introduces no issues of its own.

Check and checkmate.

izgoblin and adamwheel like this.
  22. sound chaser

Before you even assemble the device you will marvel at the precise German engineering of the motor, and packaging.

23. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

What do the other people say?

izgoblin likes this.
  24. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

Hey, Joel, I tackled the same decision six months ago and got a lot of advice here. There are a ton of 1200GR fans on this forum, and that swayed me to choose the Technics as my primary table. A couple months later, I saw a Marantz for a really (I mean, really) good price and thought, What the heck? I was curious enough, and I figured I'd be getting the whole TT package for less than what a Virtuoso cartridge goes for new. I've since had a lot more time with the 1200GR and only a week or so with the Marantz in my main system--I was just enjoying spinning records and didn't want to mess with my set up for a while--so I don't have any definitive thoughts just yet. But let me break down a thus-far comparison for you:

General build quality: Marantz is well made, but the 1200GR definitely wins on this count. Rock solid, robust, heavy.

Looks: A toss-up. Marantz is stylish. Technics is industrial. I slightly prefer the 1200GR for its fit and finish and the way it disappears a bit more in the room. Neither are subtle however.

Speed stability: Technics is a known leader here, but the Marantz also has good speed stability--at least compared to a Music Hall Ikura I demoed (which was also nice but showed its fluctuations on piano notes especially). The 1200GR is, no surprise, rock solid on pitch.

Tone arm: Here I'm not so sure and need more time with both decks. Some say the Technics tonearms lag behind other manufacturers, others seem to rate them as competitive. I'm not experienced enough to have an opinion. The Clearaudio-made Satisfy arm on the Marantz does seem really quite smooth and sells for $1500 on its own (probably well marked up), so you can certainly feel you're getting a nice piece there. One appealing thing about the Marantz package: You can transplant the arm to another turntable if/when you upgrade to another turntable.

Usability: Technics wins here. Its controls are fuss free and fall under your hands so easily that it becomes second nature quickly. Not that I have a ton of 45s, but I especially like being able to change between 33 and 45 with a button press. I don't really like switching the notches on the Marantz motor. Maybe I'm butter fingers, but half the time I seem to lose the belt under the platter. Annoying. Still, that said, I find all of the reports of the Marantz motor shifting around or whatever overstated. It's also a perfectly user friendly table. It's just that the Technics is truly made for ease of operation.

Value for money: Hard to say. A lot of people consider the 1200GR a bargain in its class/price range. I probably agree. However, there's little doubt the Marantz, as a package, is just a great deal. As I say above, I'm really quite surprised a how much I prefer the Virtuoso to the 2m Bronze (itself a solid cartridge for the money). That said, I upgraded the Virtuoso stylus to a shibata, so that could be making the difference here.

Longevity: I'll give this to the Technics, too. There just don't seem to be many direct drives of quality in between the Hanpin clones and the mega bucks DD models by VPI, etc. I'll agree with the consensus opinion that direct drive has a sound (I don't think it sounds remotely "digital" however), and I love its speed stability. With that in mind, I can't see parting with the 1200GR any time soon. I'm imagining it will be a workhorse for years and likely decades to come. And I believe it will scale with better cartridges (which I'm considering now). The Marantz is a great package, but, to me, it gives you a glimpse of the ladder you can climb with belt drives: stepping up to heavier platters, more robust motors, speed controllers, multiple arms, etc. You can't actually upgrade the Marantz itself, but it shows you--or me, anyway--how all those parts begin to influence the sound.

Upgradability: Not sure much can be done with either (or, anyway, I'm not yet interested in the various KAB Technics tweaks). Both are somewhat closed systems. However, the swappable head shell and easily adjustable VTA on the Technics lets you play different cartridges *much* more easily. I find replacing and installing carts on the Marantz a pain, as the connecting wires are small, fiddly, and easy, it seems, to break. That said, as I note above, you can put the Satisfy tonearm on another table. So that's an upgrade path (and one I might take in a couple, three years, while hanging on to the Technics).

TL;DR: The 1200GR remains my primary. If I was buying it again, I'd skip the 2m Bronze and go to a ~1K cart like a Dynavector or an AT ART9 (which I haven't heard but are often recommended here). That puts you at $3K, however. If you prefer to stay around $1000-$1500, the Marantz is a truly excellent choice. I didn't see anything else out there that's as good a package. Either way, you'll have a great table. And, if that's not true, then I did a lot of research for nothing!

25. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Thanks, WBass. I think you made my decision for me. Technics wins.

wbass likes this.