Thoughts on the Marantz TT-15S1?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheRavenPoe, Mar 26, 2017.

1. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

I just got this table used from someone local. I am comparing it to a 22 year old Pro-ject 1.2 with Grado Red. My first impression is it fixes all the issues I had with inner groove distortion with the Grado. Inner tracks play very well . Second, it sounds much more detailed than the Grado.

But overall I still think the Grado sounds more musical? Maybe it's my ears playing tricks because I am so used to that sound.. I will need to spend more time comparing the sounds...

izgoblin likes this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Sounds are definitely difficult to accurately describe. What do you mean by musical?

In the end, you like what you like. There's a possibility the cart the Marantz came with doesn't sound the way you prefer. If that is the case, you could always eventually buy a higher-end Grado if that is the house sound you gravitate towards. Nothing wrong with that at all.

As you pointed out, it's possible it's just that you are more familiar with the Grado Red's sound so the change is a tad jarring but after you give it another week or two of serious listening, if you end up still feeling the same way, save some money and buy a higher-end Grado. My guess is you'll be grinning from ear to ear.

Don't forget to experiment with VTA and ensure the proper amount of tracking force is set for the cart to perform its best. Calibration is key!

Simply by upgrading to the Marantz turntable though, you do have a much higher-end machine to build on. Congrats on your new purchase. :)

ti-triodes, 12" 45rpm and H8SLKC like this.
  3. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Sure, good advice. The manual does not say anything about using a protractor to check catridge alignment. Is says just to:

" Attach to the front attachment hole position on the tone arm."

Also it seems hard to ensure the motor does not touch the plinth. It moves when I turn it on/off. And are gloves neccessary to change the belt speed?

4. Strat-Mangler

I did so about 8 months ago so my memory might be playing tricks on me but I believe there isn't any other way to install the bundled cart. However, VTA can be adjusted, as well as tracking force, no? I know that on my VPI, they made a huge change in how the music was presented.

No gloves are necessary to change the belt or adjust it for speed. Some might say it's necessary but those same people probably use gloves with their albums as well. As long as your hands are not drenched in French fry oil, it should be OK. :)

As for the motor touching the plinth, that is my sole complaint about this turntable. You do have another option, though. Since the power switch is manual (and not digital), you can leave it at the "On" position and plug it into a power bar that you could turn off and on instead every time, therefore ensuring the motor position won't ever be changed.

5. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

If the turntable is sitting on a separate base, you can also use some blobs of blu-tak under the feet and the motor pod to keep everything locked down and in alignment.

7. rbmitch2

rbmitch2 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up! Just grabbed it to replace a Debut Carbon.

PhilBiker, 12" 45rpm, Davey and 2 others like this.
  8. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Personally I've never had a problem with the motor moving in 10 years, it has some weight behind it, German engineering at its finest, though you do need to keep a finger on the top and switch with your thumb, it feels natural after a while.

unityofsaints and H8SLKC like this.
  9. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I can echo that you quickly learn how to get the motor on without moving it. In my case, I reach down with both hands and steady the motor pod with my right hand after having given the platter a little nudge to get it started. Then switch the button on the front of the motor pod to start it. Giving the platter a little nudge before starting the motor also avoids the slipping and squeak that can come from the very grippy silicone belt slipping on the pulley at start up. This all becomes second nature after a handful of starts.

As far as the cartridge alignment, there are two directions in the manual. (1) The manual calls sliding the headshell fully forward in the tonearm slot. (2) In another place in the manual it calls for cartridge stylus positioning 32mm in front of the junction of the black tonearm tube and the aluminum slot piece. I believe that the manual calls for the first alignment to make it easy for newcomers, although it sounds fine that way IMO. I have used the 32mm distance with multiple cartridges with good luck.

sound chaser likes this.
  10. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Does this seem like the cartridge is aligned ok? I bought this used so not sure the original owner did it properly:

[​IMG]

11. loki7177

loki7177 Well-Known Member

Check page 7 of the manual. If it has the stock cartridge then follow the illustration on that page. I just put mine together yesterday but I am using the 2M Blue from the Orbit it is replacing. I find the instructions on cartridge installation overly simple. I printed a couple of protractors from VE today and will be checking the alignment tonight.

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. loki7177

loki7177 Well-Known Member

I put mine together last night and was only able to use it briefly. But no problems with the motor moving. The weight and the rubber feet provide plenty of grip.

PhilBiker likes this.
  13. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

The Virtuoso sounds very similar to a Grado Sonata (If setup properly). Maybe just a bit leaner.

14. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

@Strat-Mangler I just ordered from IQ (the authorized dealer on Amazon offering the refurbished units). $1,199 was easier to swallow than $1,500 for new, especially after hearing of the good experience you and others have had, going this route. It also enabled me to add-on another $120 worth of setup equipment that I lacked -- stylus force gauge, alignment protractor, etc.

I first tried to find a Marantz authorized dealer locally who stocked this turntable, but everyone I contacted said they could special order it but don't have any in-stock. Magnolia generally seems to be out-of-stock with this turntable everywhere, according to Bestbuy.com.

Status was updated to "shipped" within a few hours after placing the order, but since it's shipped via Ground, estimate is that it should arrive by April 10th.

EDIT: FedEx just updated the estimate to Saturday April 7th. :goodie:

PhilBiker, Strat-Mangler and 4xoddic like this.
  15. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Would anyone mind confirming that the accessories I ordered for my new Marantz TT-15S1 turntable are appropriate ("good enough," "compatible") for this particular 'table?

I wasn't going for "world class" but I would like to hear if any of the items I bought absolutely won't work with this turntable.

Neoteck Digital Turntable Stylus Force Scale Gauge 0.01g Blue LCD Backlight for Tonearm Phono Cartridge
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HRJ9NAY/

Cartridge Alignment Protractor
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OS7VO2Y/

ONZOW ZeroDust - Stylus Cleaner
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ERPWAK2/

Q Up - Tonearm Lifter
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OAMD26/

Thanks for your help.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  16. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I've been using my Q Up for years and it does the job. Would I rather have a Tru-Lift or LittleFwend, absolutely but not at 5X the cost. Just keep the stylus guard on when setting up. I've attached mine with Blue-Tac since the double sided tape has wore out from moving it from table to table.

The Chinese Scale works fine, it's just that it's a bit high off the record surface and your VTA will be a bit off. Try putting it on the plinth and get it as close to the record surface and you'll be fine.

If I had to do it again, I would get the Riverstone Audio scale.

The alignment protractor is frustrating, I'd generate an ARC protractor using the Conrad Hoffman program.

Enjoy your new table!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  17. Helom

Helom Forum member

For gimballed tonearms, which typically have a neutral balance, the VTF will be the same despite the minor height difference.

punkmusick likes this.
  18. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback/advice!

The Blu-Tac is a great idea. I was thinking about putting some underneath the isolated motor, to help keep it from moving if it gets bumped.

When you recommend to "try putting [the scale] on the plinth," you mean put something solid between it and the plinth, to get as close as possible to the height that the record would be at? That makes sense to me, if I'm understanding you correctly.

How would I "generate an ARC protractor"? I was hoping for something reliable and easy to use, so I'm slightly dismayed that you describe the one I ordered as "frustrating." :-( Oh well, at least it didn't cost very much.

Finally, I added one more accessory to my setup assortment:

Woods 32555WD Outdoor Wireless Remote Control Kit, Weatherproof, 100ft Range
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q9EFUK

That should also help reduce the risk of accidentally bumping the motor in the back. And another opportunity to use Blu-Tac -- I'll put the button-remote on the inside wall of my cabinet.

Craig.

PooreBoy likes this.
  19. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Sorry, I should have elaborated, I find all two point protractors frustrating after using arc prtotractors or single point like VPI or Feickert. If you are sticking with the Virtuoso, it's pretty easy to confirm alignment so no worries.

That was exactly what I meant about the scale.

The Wireless remote is exactly what I used with my TT15 and I still use it today for my turntable light.

Blu-tac, Duct Tape for Audiophiles. :D

20. rbmitch2

rbmitch2 Forum Resident

Congrats on the new table, I am really enjoying my new (to me) TT15. The included manual has clear and easy to follow instructions that will get you close. Prefer the sound and appearance without the included mat. I have used a similar to your VTF guage as the instructions in the manual got it pretty far off. The best alignment tool is the Conrad Hoffman ARC protractor available for free from here:
    Conrad's Free Stuff
    I used pivot to spindle distance of 222 mm and Lofgren A - the Marantz manual's instructions with the headshell at the end were right on the money. I have a Q-up but not using it yet - the table is so pretty I don't want to add anything to it. I think the Onzow is a great stylus cleaner and I am using the wireless remote for the start switch also. The motor hasn't budged since I started using it.

CraigVC and PhilBiker like this.
  21. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I can't imagine putting a Q-up on that beautiful table.

rbmitch2 likes this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

Me neither but it's not for me. The Q-Up functionality might be well worth it to him.

PhilBiker likes this.
  23. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Well, I'm used to semi-automatic from my Thorens TD-280 MkIV, but for this new Marantz, I figure I'll do the following steps:
    1. Try without the Q-Up and see how I can handle full manual.
    2. Give Q-Up a try (especially after the first time I walk away while a record's playing and return to the stylus bouncing around on the inner grooves...!) by setting it up with Blu-Tac which is easily removeable. If so convenient to override the aesthetic downside, I'll likely keep it. (My turntable is normally hidden behind a steel cabinet door, so unless I'm playing vinyl no one will see it.)
    3. If I decide not to use the Q-Up I can probably sell it here or on Craigslist for a slight loss.

rbmitch2, PhilBiker and Strat-Mangler like this.
  24. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

I have now owned this table for a few weeks but not sure I am sold on the Virtuoso sound.. Compared to my old Grado Red, it just doesn't sound "musical". It almost sound like listening to digital, i.e everything has the same sound. The irony is it pulls out more detail than the grado. So how can something more "detailed" sound less "enjoyable"?!

Sorry for this audio mumbo jumbo.. I fully realize that it is very subjective. But curious if others have compared the Virtuoso to other cartridges and found the same issues?

izgoblin and PhilBiker like this.
  25. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, I had my VTA a bit tail down with the Virtuoso. That being said, there really isn't a substitute for a Grado if that's your style. I ran a Sonata on the TT15S1 most of the time I had it. I'm not sure how the new V2 Grados would work though, they are HUGE!

12" 45rpm likes this.