Three (Now Eight) Upcoming Sinatra/Capitol Titles on MFSL LP & SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Just look how fast he recorded the album. 6 titles a day, 2 or 3 takes at most, he hadn't worked
    with Axel Stordahl in years. To me it's a great album under those kind of circumstances.

RogerB and CBackley like this.
  2. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Here's my question: If Sinatra intended to just toss off this album why did he invite Robin Douglas-Home to the recording sessions? He knew Home was writing an article about him and wanted to write a book about him. Granted Home saw Sinatra adamantly refuse to do another take on one song but he accurately describes Sinatra's involvement with the material.

kennyluc1 likes this.
  3. teag

teag Forum Resident

I agree with you. This is a very good album and the vocals are just fine.

4. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I really wish I could go back in time to my 20 year old self and say, "Go listen to Point of No Return RIGHT AWAY!"

bozburn likes this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

I would say you've passed the point of no return, David. :D

Simon A, Arkoffs, bozburn and 3 others like this.
  6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Just speaking for myself: I remember checking this LP out from the library around, I'm guessing, age 14 or 15 or so, by which age I was already a Sinatra fan with a small-ish collection. My recollection is that I checked out this album and Sinatra's Sinatra, and both left me utterly unmoved. Move ahead a few years, and I purchased the UK Dell LP edition, and I liked it, but was not floored by it. As I've aged, I've "grown into" the album to much deeper degree, and really appreciate it now.

Simon A, Arkoffs, SOONERFAN and 2 others like this.
  7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Been down this road MANY times...but I shall forever say that his reading of "Memories of You' here is beyond gut wrenching. It blows his Swingin' Lovers version away by miles.

It was the 1st tune I could muster myself up enough courage to play after Mr. S passed....I cried.

CrimsonPiper, kennyluc1 and MLutthans like this.
  8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Stereo wise, I agree. As far as mono Songs for Swingin' Lovers is a knock-out with the correct tapes. Praying that Swingin' Affair on LP will be as brilliant.

bozburn, aza14782 and MLutthans like this.
  9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

He did it all the way he usually did things....but FAST and RUSHED. 12 songs in 2 nights. He wanted O-U-T. He once rushed another set of sessions for Sinatra & Swingin' Brass but that was because he was in such fine voice he wanted to catch himself while he could. Jenkins' wife even was quoted as how Mr. S rushed out of the studio the final night without any final words with Axel.

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Did I say I cried? I did weep some tears. However, it wasn't until Oscar night 1999 when they did a beautiful tribute to Mr. S that I was finally able to let go. I was an absolute basket case watching that that video!!!!

kennyluc1, CBackley and MMM like this.
  11. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Right there with you. I went into a depression after graduating college, moving home and leaving so many good friends behind. It was around this time I heard the PONR song "I'll Remember April," providing so much comfort during that time of transition (along with the entire September Of My Years album). So beautifully written, arranged and sung. It still strikes me today.

12. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Absolutely!

I am only about 2 1/2 years into a glorious obsession with Sinatra. The first 2 years I was focused on Columbia and early Capitol -- also got into many of the live albums, such as Sextet, Live in Vegas and others. Finally got into Watertown and other Reprise titles too.

So -- finally -- late last summer or so I finally made it over to Point of No Return, mainly because of "September Song" which I find to be beautiful and glorious in every way. But then -- I finally "really heard" the song "I'll Remember April" and that is the one that just slays me every time!!! Most of the songs on PONR are really quite stunning. Something about PONR that really reaches in to me!

Too Much Great Music!!

rangerjohn, bozburn, CBackley and 4 others like this.
  13. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I listened to PONR last night and I agree with everything you guys say about it. I just love it!!! There's still so much Sinatra that I haven't heard but I'm trying to take it slow and really get to know the albums.

I may need to speed up tho.....at age 59....time may not be on my side!

DmitriKaramazov and Mr. H like this.
  14. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Savor it!

15. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I'm savoring every listen Mr. H!!!!!!

Mr. H likes this.
  16. kennyluc1

Patrick Henry of Virginia
    says if liberty is in ya...Name That Tune
    don't know why that song is in my head today

17. kennyluc1

Probably because of the shooting in Va.

18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Maybe "Dig Down Deep"?

19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

NOPE... it's "FREE FOR ALL"!!!!

Patrick Henry of Virginia said if liberty's within ya
    It's a priceless thing you ought to cherish
    Some I know can take or leave it, talk a lot but half believe it,
    As for me I'll have it all or I'll perish.
    Though the man who said those words is gone now,
    The thought behind his noble speech lives on now.

Free for all, we like the kind of living that is free for all,
    And Lady Luck is giving us a priceless thing,
    A chance to sing, and wake up every morning hearing freedom ring.
    Free for all, forget about your troubles, there is glee for all right here,
    So remember, son, life is so much fun, when it's free for all.

kennyluc1 and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  20. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Hi, could somebody please tell me if all of the Sinatra's Capitol albums are also available in stereo? I prefer them that way...

21. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

No, not all of them are available in True Stereo. To my knowledge, the first album to be released in true stereo (not duophonic or electronically reprocessed stereo) was "Where Are You" in 1957. Those Capitol albums that are not available in stereo include: Swing Easy/Songs For Young Lovers, In The Wee Small Hours, This is Sinatra (a compilation), Songs For Swingin' Lovers!, A Swingin' Affair, Close To You, A Jolly Christmas, and This is Sinatra Vol 2 (another compilation). The rest of the Capitol canon should be offered in true stereo to my knowledge. Others can chime in an confirm that my list is accurate.

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Some tracks compiled on THIS IS SINATRA VOLUME 2 exist in stereo - otherwise all that you note was not recorded in stereo.

JediJoker, Hatchet Jack and paulmock like this.
  23. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Does anybody know what's wrong with that "Capitol Scorecard" site? The comparisons of "Point of No Return" aren't available anymore, for example. Is the problem with my browser? Here's the link: Capitol Scorecard .

24. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Matt took the later albums down so he can eventually update them.

MLutthans likes this.
  25. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Hey -- thanks for that. I was just searching around for this information. :)
    It's a little surprising: I would have expected that Sinatra was a prestige release for Capitol and that, therefore, they would have made stereo mixes before Where Are You.

Timeless Classics likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.