Three (Now Eight) Upcoming Sinatra/Capitol Titles on MFSL LP & SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Now you have the illusion of being one of the luckiest Sinatra CD collectors in the world!

2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Mine just came in.

Where Are You #116
    Swingin' Session #117

Will report sound quality impressions soon.

3. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Please do! :)

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Chop chop!! ;)

5. TLMusic

First impression:

The packaging looks nice as usual.

The records, however, look awful! :( They're covered with what looks like scuffs, and a curious blotchy film. I've never seen anything like this on a MFSL record. They always had the highest quality control standards. Oh well, I will need to try to clean them first...

6. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I saw the same thing with the TWO copies of Weezer's blue album I went through. In both cases, side one sounded great, but side two looked and sounded like a godawful mess. There wasn't a third time. This is precisely why I'm keen on SACDs for this series...

7. MLutthans

Dang Rainblo -- oh wait, wrong reissues.

MMM and LeeS like this.
  8. TLMusic

'Tis a sad day when an unplayed Mobile Fidelity LP grades VG+ right out of the box.

Didn't want to get this crud all over my VPI and brushes. After a couple cleanings the Swingin' Session looks OK to play. Even after cleaning, there's a mark on the vinyl in the lead in grooves which causes a few rotational ticks. At least the noise happens before the music starts, but this kind of defect is also unusual for Mofi.

The sound quality itself seems nice. Hard to be in the mood after having to clean the thing, but I'm listening now, and will soon compare it to a 9 o'clock -D2 original.

9. TLMusic

Listened to side one. The new Mofi Swingin' Session sounds great. The 'dirt' on the surface does not seem to have created any surface noise. I think most people would be thrilled by the audio, this is a fantastic recording. The Mofi mastering people came through on their end. The balance is nice and natural, really there's nothing significant to fault. The channel separation seems more extreme than the old Capitol LPs I've heard, we're tallkin' W I D E - S T E R E O. There's a little taste of 'audiophile' air in the upper frequencies, that's an element of the Mofi 'sound'.

It would be hard to beat the Mofi. Now I'm listening to a circa 1961 -D2 Capitol original. It might be my mood, but right now I prefer the original, but only slightly. The vintage Capitol has got a sweeter sound, and the bass seems slightly less boosted. The original seems a tiny bit more dynamic and vibrant. Of course, I have no idea which pressing best represents the actual master tapes. And my clean good sounding original was not easy to find.

Quick assessment--if you don't already have a top original copy, the Mofi Swingin' Session is worthy of attention. Even then, I can see how a lot of people would prefer it to anything else. Sounds great! (But expect it to arrive dirty. I hope Mofi fixes that problem soon).

10. TLMusic

More on Swingin' Session.

I definitely prefer the new Mofi sound to the copy I have in in the * old MFSL silver box. The new mastering has more clarity, less grain, and more 'body'. The tone is more realistic on the new version. There sure is a lot of bass--not quite used to that yet.

*one thing about the old 1980s Mofi box. Say what you will about the sources/mastering. But the pressing quality is perfect. I've never even cleaned those records. The Swingin' Session I pulled out tonight looks new, and has practically zero surface noise. And it's like 30 years old.

11. MLutthans

Well...the SWINGIN' SESSION disc in the silver box is the winner of the Big Suck-o-la Award within that set. I have no idea what went wrong on that title, but it's pretty awful.

12. TLMusic

Well then, my ears aren't playing tricks. The new Mofi definitely beats the old in this instance.

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Much as I love my best D2 copy (I have a couple of others, and one sounds better than the others - I'd guess due to fresher metal parts), a friend has a 1970's yellow label copy that has more bass as well. It's not overdone, and I get the impression better reflects the bass that's on the tapes compared to what's on the D2 - great as it otherwise sounds. I'd guess they filtered out enough in the old cut to not give people trouble with trying to play it back years ago, while also not letting it sound bass light.

14. TLMusic

Thanks for the info! I would be curious to hear your impression of the newest Mofi. Would you feel the bass is 'right' or 'a bit overdone'?

It's funny, after spinning these various pressings, I ultimately gained greater appreciation for my old -D2 copy. The sound must be hard wired to my brain, it's difficult for me to imagine the music any other way. I feel lucky to have it.

15. TLMusic

:thumbsup: Finally cleaned and put on Where Are You?. You're right, it's a standout. I personally don't have a vintage pressing that could compete with this.

Edit: arrgh! I spoke too soon. The darn spindle hole is off center. The tonearm is swinging back and forth. As it gets closer to the center of the record, the pitch dips get progressively noticeable. This is the first Mofi record I've ever had with this issue. Dang!

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Do you have a D1 cut mono Capitol? Just curious, since its the best I've heard so far (I haven't heard the new version yet).

17. TLMusic

I have not been able to find a D1 Where Are You mono in any condition. Would like to, though.

18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Sounds like it's best to sit this one out for a bit and let the dust settle. MoFi Quality Control needs to be notified. I can wait...

19. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Sadly, there has been several threads lately about MOFI quality control. I'm now waiting for these 3 new Sinatra LP's and wondering if I pulled the trigger too soon. :shake:

20. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I don't think you did - it's a shame the lps have some dust but it cleans right off and I've said they look clean and bright and new after that quick wash.
    If not for this thread I would have already forgotton about it.
    They sound amazing.

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

But "Where Are You?" being punched off-center is totally unacceptable!!!!!

22. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I agree - but I've only seen that mentioned once here and haven't heard of anyone else having that issue.

23. th0m

th0m Forum Resident

Really looking forward to the In the Wee Small Hours SACD. It has the potential of being the first good digital release of this album, especially if they use the original dry mix!

24. TLMusic

Yes. Actually, on my copy side one has the spindle hole off-center. Side two is OK, and the audio is gorgeous.

I am curious if anyone else's records are like this.

25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

The first warning sign I noticed regarding MoFi QC was last year's release of REM's Lifes Rich Pageant. It, too, had an off-centered side two hole, though I didn't notice any anomalies during playback. Then came the Weezer blue album a few months ago-- two copies I tried had unacceptably noisy second sides. And now this issue with Where Are You? Not a good trend...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.