Three (Now Eight) Upcoming Sinatra/Capitol Titles on MFSL LP & SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Well, yeah....that 2-track tape mix is VASTLY (yes, vastly) superior to the stereo LP mix (IMHO), but it's also missing tracks, so that's not going to happen. My question: How are they going to handle "I Cover the Waterfront" on the upcoming LP release? The 1983 MFSL LP was apparently a very early digital mastering (at least for side 1), so will they be going that route again, or just skipping that cut that does not appear on the stereo master?

MFSL has done some good things with Sinatra and some "meh"-level stuff. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on these, as I'm very curious to hear them.

Matt

2. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Excited, hell yeah!!!! This news has made my day

3. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

I own that 2-track as well, and it’s wonderful (missing tracks and all) but these still will be a “wait and see” release for me. I just played the mono SWINGIN' SESSION this evening and I keep asking myself “do I need another stereo copy that I never play?”

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

For me, it depends on what they do with the SACD versions. That's what I find most worthy of anticipation in the announcement.

Not an issue if they give us the mono LP. That's what I'm hoping for.

5. MLutthans

SFF member "Guest" announced the coming of the MFSL "Sings for Only the Lonely," this way, on May 24, 2008:
    I'm assuming that text was borrowed from MFSL promo materials. Since they (MFSL and SFF) are not trumpeting a "first time ever" release on this go round, I'm assuming it'll be Ye Olde Stereo mix....but I'd be happy to be wrong, and it (my being wrong) wouldn't be a first! :)

Matt

6. Bob F

As someone who is quite familiar with that particular "Guest" ;) , I can confirm that those descriptions came directly from the MoFi website. The post also included a link and images which are now non-existent on that website. Until MFSL publishes a similar announcement this time around, I remain hopeful for a mono release of WHERE ARE YOU, Matt.

Remember that all we have so far are brief mentions by Nancy Sinatra, no details. (Which I find surprising, considering the closeness of these release dates.)

7. MLutthans

^^^^That would be cool, Bob! Fingers crossed....

Matt

8. TimM

TimM Senior Member

It would be nice to see all the Capital titles done. It would be even better if they could be done in some organized pattern, but I'm happy to at least get something. These seem sort of random, but maybe there is a plan of some sort.

9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Lost among all the "what if's" and "it would nice if's" is the ONE Sinatra Capitol concept album never touched by MSFL/MoFi. I speak of "Point of No Return". It was blatantly left off the Silver Box and has never been given the audiophile treatment by MoFi in any form. Oh sure, it's easy to write it off as Mr. S's "walk-thru" album, etc. That point is not for discussion here. The question is why not finally give this fine/historic album it's proper place among the MoFi's and give it an LP/SACD release?

10. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I agree, it is one of my very favorites and it deserves a place somewhere in a good reissue program. I just listened to it Tuesday evening with the lights low and a glass of wine.:righton:

11. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

I had not heard the MFSL Where Are You LP was cut from a digital master. I know it and the 1984 Alan Dell digital LP are from two completely different tapes.

'I Cover The Waterfront' (Master #E-17008) was recorded in the same session as Lonely Town (Master #E-17009), Laura (Master #E-17010), and Baby, Won't You Please Come Home (Master #E-17011) according to the MFSL LP notes, so I would expect it to have been recorded on 3 track. But maybe they had technical difficulties with that one.

I always assumed that when it came time to mix the stereo LP they either decided to leave it off the LP or couldn't find the 3 track master. It has always seemd kind of out of place with the other songs to me, it has a different feel.

12. MLutthans

It took me a while, Bob, but your wish is my command: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=8041507#post8041507

Matt

13. Bob F

Thank you, Matt! Shame about the "lawyer-friendly" requirement, but at least they won't be sending Toody and Muldoon to your door. ;)

14. MLutthans

I can handle Toody! I just need to avoid Muldoon.

Attached Files:

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Wow, I just saw this thread! This is fantastic news!

16. aoxomoxoa

Awwww ****!!! you got me!!

17. Bob F

:D I'd be more worried about this guy.

Herman-Munster.jpg

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Unless my memories are off, there are Mobile Fidelity test pressings of POINT OF NO RETURN from when they did their SINATRA box set in 1983.

19. niceneasy

niceneasy Well-Known Member

And an extra slot in the box, although perhaps that was intended for "A Jolly Christmas", which ended up available separately...

20. MLutthans

The test pressing that was withdrawn from Ebay sale belonged (at the time, at least) to a member here.

21. aoxomoxoa

Interesting. So why did they keep it out of the box?

22. Bob F

I don't know if it's been discussed previously, but this is from John Rockwell's 1983 New York Times review of the MFSL box:

Link: VINTAGE SINATRA IN AN EXPENSIVE PACKAGE - NYTimes.com

I don't think either of those reasons fits POINT OF NO RETURN, though. For whatever reason, Sinatra's final Capitol concept album never got the respect it deserves.

23. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Bob, I agree with you 100% "Point Of No Return" is one of my favourite Sinatra albums, it has a beauty all of it's own and I think it's fitting tribute to Axel Stordahl that it was Franks last Capitol album.

24. MLutthans

I'm a big fan of the album, too, and it's too bad that it gets the red-headed stepchild treatment far too often. It's not a genuine masterpiece, but it's a strong album on its own terms.

Matt

25. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Some of the finest individual performances of his Capitol career (e.g., "When the World was Young," I'll Remember April," and "There Will Never Be Another You").

Sure, he "walked through" a few of the other tracks, but the ones mentioned above make it well-worth the price of admission.

My favorite Sinatra cover, as well, by the way. (Did that lady never show for a rendezvous at the Plaza Hotel....?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.