Three (Now Eight) Upcoming Sinatra/Capitol Titles on MFSL LP & SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

From what I know, it has a better quality with mono. I'm assuming much like Where Are You?

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, the mono mix was made (during recording) from multiple microphones placed close to the instruments. The stereo mix utilized just two overhead boom mikes, recorded to 3-track along with Sinatra's separate vocal (and mixed to stereo later). Also, in the case of COME FLY WITH ME, there was an undetected problem with one of the stereo mike pre-amps at one session, resulting in distortion in one channel on some songs. For both reasons, the mono is the preferred mix and a welcome release from MoFi, especially for the SACD issue.

JediJoker, Kkfan and DLant like this.
  3. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Hey Bob, a little off-topic-- I know you're a CD guy, but what are your thoughts on the silver MFSL Sinatra box from the '80s? I already have the Dell LP box, but I know where a near mint copy of the MFSL can be found at a reasonable price and was wondering if it was worth it.

4. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Because that's how the recording was intended. The mono version is close-miked - whereas the stereo version (issued years AFTER the mono version, btw.) is mixed from two "concert hall" feeds + vocal. Furthermore, one of the stereo amps had a malfunction during one of the sessions - Capitol kept it running. Mono is the preferred and authentic way to listen to this album.

The stereo version is great too - if only for the sake of being in stereo :) Why choose? You have the original mix in the EMI British 21 CD set, a digital re-mix on Capitol's single disk version from the late 1980s plus Mono from MFSL. What more can you wish for :)

DLant likes this.
  5. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

You beat me again, Bob. Thanks for the info about the three-track. I'll correct it in my posting...

Bob F likes this.
  6. Bob F

As you say, Dustin, I'm a CD guy. There are better people to ask, but I'm sure they will all tell you to grab that MFSL silver box of LPs.

7. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

^ Thanks, Bob...

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

This guy knows his Sinatra. :agree:

Kkfan and 3rd Uncle Bob like this.
  9. Bob F

^ Nice of you, Keith, but I only learn from the real experts. In particular, note these posts in an earlier thread:

Frank Sinatra "COME FLY WITH ME": Stereo & mono questions (and other neat stuff)..

10. Bob F

Only five left to go. When is anyone's guess. This was posted Nov. 19. 2012, from Music Direct's 2013 catalog:

[​IMG]

wwright, LeeS and rxcory like this.
  11. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

All TBA and some of his strongest offerings to Capitol. I guess that patience is now my virtue. :)

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

"A Swingin' Affair", one of his greatest, yet most overlooked albums! Worst album design in history but amazing music on there. Beware the echo'd 12 song version if you come across this used LP in a store. This was a 14 song album.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

These five do indeed include some of Sinatra's strongest albums, not only on Capitol but of his entire career.

14. Bob F

It was a 15 song album, Steve.

A really rare find is an LP cover which lists "The Lady Is a Tramp." That was intended for the album but relocated to the Pal Joey soundtrack LP and replaced by another song ("No One Ever Tells You").

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, wrote 14, goofed. Sorry!

Emsatt likes this.
  16. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Thanks to all who have contributed info and reviews on the MoFi series. I just purchased my first Sinatra album (in any form, vinyl, CD, whathaveyou. Yowza!)-- the MoFi SACD of Where Are You? Without having to make the comps myself (I can rely on you guys for that), every glowing comment you made on this disc was spot on. It's really quite astounding... And from a 56 year-old tape!

Keep the comments, reviews etc. coming, guys.

rangerjohn and Bob F like this.
  17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Re: A Swingin' Affair:

JamieC sent me this photo a few years back:
    attachment.jpg

MMM, Squad 701, Bob F and 1 other person like this.
  18. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

I really don't know how Frank let them get away with that cover. Just awful.

Over the years, on a couple of threads, Matt and I have gently sparred with each other over the musical merits of this album and its proper place in the Capitol Years Pantheon.

I think that we settled on the following truce: the individual performances are as good as those on any FS-Capitol album, but the overall presentation suffers from a repetitive formula in the arrangements. In other words, the album is not the beautiful sum of its wonderful parts. Is that right, Matt?

19. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Outside of the tragically sad and beautifully arranged "Only The Lonely" album, I agree that "A Swingin' Affair" is easily one of Frank's best, in the "Capitol" years! The way that I listen to this album is in mono on 45 rpm, as I have the entire album on separate EP's (2 songs per side), in one of my jukeboxes and I play them often! Of all of the MFSL SACD's, this is the one that I'm looking the most forward to hearing!

KipB likes this.
  20. MLutthans

Yep, I'd go along with that, and my original reason behind the thought can be viewed here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ty-a-swingin-affair-1957.204135/#post-5070870

21. SinatraFan

SinatraFan Well-Known Member

A Swingin' Affair, to me, is the greatest swingin' album ever! And I don't think the cover is that bad.

Volt-and-Volume, DLant and Dugan like this.
  22. MLutthans

The cover never bothered me. Very Gene Kelly:
    Screen shot 2013-06-03 at 8.58.13 PM.jpg

23. Bob F

Ah, yes, I remember the discussion (starting here). What is surprising was that they not only replaced "The Lady Is a Tramp," but the entire running order of the album was changed to accommodate the replacement song (which doesn't fit the concept well). Note that "No One Ever Tells You" was originally meant to be a single. It was eventually released as such in 1958—the only track before "Nice 'n' Easy" in 1960 to be released on both a concept LP and a single.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.