Three (Now Eight) Upcoming Sinatra/Capitol Titles on MFSL LP & SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StAbbeyRoad

StAbbeyRoad New Member

There is nothing digital about the 1983 Mofi lp.

2. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

'Where Are You' in glorious Mono is fantastic news, I can't wait.

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

From Matt's Where Are You? pages:

I suggest taking this up in the album thread:
    [thread=205245]Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: "Where Are You?" (1957 album)[/thread]​

4. StAbbeyRoad

StAbbeyRoad New Member

Still not sure what actual evidence (not supposition, but evidence) we have of the mofi being cut with any digital in the chain.

I'm inclined to strongly doubt it. Has anyone ever gotten this info from mofi directly??

5. Bob F

Discussion here of the 1983 MoFi vinyl is likely to cause confusion with the upcoming releases which are the thread topic.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Great to read that "Where Are You?" will be monoaural. If this remastering sounds as good as mfsl's "Only The Lonely", we are in for a treat.

I hope the Sinatra mfsl remasterings keep coming.

7. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Last Spring, I directly asked Stan Ricker about the possibility of the 1980s Sinatra Mobile Fidelity LPs being digital. Although his name is on the deadwax of some of those records, Stan told me he couldn't recall--he's done many thousands of cuttings since then. However, he then went on to stress that he was the very first cutting engineer ever to cut vinyl LPs from a digital source (think Telarc, etc.). I forget the details of the early pre-CD digital format, but it was something like 10 bit. In other words, there's a reasonable chance some LPs from the silver Mofi Box are from a digital source.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled program discussing the three new Sinatra titles from Mofi. Already ordered Swingin' Session and Where Are You? Can't wait to hear them!

8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I wouldn't be surprised if the MOFI box was cut from digital. It sounds good for the most part, so who cares?

9. Bob F

I'm inclined to say, "No One Cares" — if only to keep the thread on-topic. :)

P.S. I really do care, and it's fascinating information [thank you, tlmusic], but it belongs in a separate thread.

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Regarding discussion of the 1983 MFSL stereo release of Where Are You:

Yes! I've continued the discussion here: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=8142783#post8142783

Let's keep the two topics separate, to avoid confusion.

Matt

11. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I have pre-ordered these titles, I can't wait. I really appreciate this thread, because I would not have know about these releases. MoFi does not list them on their website, but Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct does.

I have "Only the Lonely" and love the sound quality, and am looking forward to seeing what MoFi can do with the three titles.

A wish I have is that Sinatra at the Sands will be released on SACD---that would be great!

Looks like November is when we can expect them.

12. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

wow, this is wonderful news...not sure how i missed this discussion all this time, but will truly grab these...too bad swinging sessions isnt both mixes...that album is so short...

13. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

It is great to see Mofi continuing down the path of releasing FS titles. The thought of Where Are You in Mono is wonderful and I plan to pick up all three new selections and support Mofi in this venture.
    Randy

14. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Can someone describe the stereo Swingin' Session? Does it have a lot of far right and far left material?

My guess would be that it does. I'm pretty happy with the original mono LP.

15. aoxomoxoa

Yes.

I like the mono too!

16. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Hearing that "Where Are You" will be released in mono has really made my day :righton:

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Very important point, Randy. With all of the b%$ching and fussing we do here over these recordings, we need to purchase them to encourage future releases!!!!!:righton:

18. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I don't recall, are these the first MOFI Sinatra SACD's?

19. aoxomoxoa

Actually, I care to but just because I find these sort of things interesting. Back to your regularly scheduled program....

20. Bob F

Yes. (There were three Gold CDs previously.)

21. aoxomoxoa

Agreed. I will probably buy both formats myself.

Yes

22. MLutthans

Everything is far left/far right, but not in ping-pong style. It's a very well-balanced and evenly-balanced stereo presentation.

This is after Capitol upgraded to a 12-input mixer, and the layout was something like this:

•Strings (2 mics, I think)
    •Harp
    •Saxes
    •Piano
    •Guitar
    •Bass
    •Drums
    •Aux/Mallet percussion
    •Trumpets
    •Trombones (trombones & trumpets likely combined on one mic for section work, with a "roving solo" mic as needed)
    •Frank

Left/right was divy'd up as follows:

23. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I use to buy both formats with mofi items... But now I buy both only if its vinyl and CD...I only grab the SACD (no vinyl) if the SACD is offered

24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I do not dislike the mono version of this at ALL...but this one is IMHO meant for stereo...and played LOUD!

25. MLutthans

Yessireebob! ....or Paul! This is just about a perfect stereo big band recording, IMO.

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.