Three's Company (1977 to 1984)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Captain Paul

Captain Paul Forum Resident

Yeah, you really can’t judge the show, or any show really, on its first few episodes.

2. gowokegobroke

gowokegobroke Well-Known Member

I laughed my you know what off when watching the episode where Jack and Mr Furley both are barking like dogs to each other .

Jack Lord and 905 like this.
  3. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

thought about buying the series on dvd

uhhh 450.00 on amazon

what the heck

OldSoul likes this.
  4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

My parents were huge Dallas fans back in the day. It shows how far TV dramas have come, as that show would be a lower tier drama nowadays, yet was considered one of the best back then.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They had a first-class crew on Dallas and spent a ton of money on it. In that respect, it was the polar opposite of Three's Company, which was cheap and crappy by comparison. You can make a good argument that the film shows -- even film sitcoms like Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart -- looked a lot better than videotape shows like All in the Family and Three's Company.

6. Drifter

Drifter AD survivor

7. OldSoul

OldSoul Shattered

I had no idea the series was out of print, until someone mentioned it earlier in the thread. I have the first 4 seasons, which is probably enough (I do remember loving Cindy, as a kid, though, so I've always thought about getting season 5), but I'm kicking myself, because someone was selling the boxset on Facebook Marketplace for $10 or $20 not long ago.

8. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Dallas and Knots Landing, in their heyday, were well-plotted, well-produced serials. They were never prestige dramas or anything, but they were entertaining for what they were. And Larry Hagman was a very talented, versatile actor. He was nominated for an Emmy a couple of times, but never won, which is a bit of a shame.

And I agree, those videotaped sitcoms of the 70s look awful now. At least the old filmed shows can be cleaned up and seen in HD. The blu-rays of I Love Lucy are pretty stunning in terms of how good a 70-year-old show can look. But the videotaped shows are stuck in relatively low-resolution.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 5:35 AM
    Drifter likes this.
  9. jason88cubs

glad you survived

10. eddiel

eddiel Forum Resident

Say wha?! I remember seeing them around town for $10-20 per season and that was sealed.

11. eddiel

eddiel Forum Resident

You wouldn't have to try too hard to convince anyone of that. They look like VHS dubs even at their best. lol

But I can deal with that much better than I can deal with them cropping and blowing up old shows to fit to wide screen when they remaster a show for HD, though I've just accepted that this is how it will be from now on. :)

12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I don't remember how much I paid at Walmart for the complete series, but I think it was in the $30/$35 range.

13. jason88cubs

well now i gotta wait.....

14. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

“What part of ‘there’s always money in the banana stand’ do you not understand???”