Three's Company (1977 to 1984)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Sorry about your father. :sigh: I was very fortunate that the doctors knew to look at my aorta as my oldest brother had died of an aortic aneurysm rupture at the same age (he was a member here). :sigh: If I had been treated for a heart attack, I wouldn't have survived. It was still touch and go during surgery.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  2. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

I’m so glad to hear that and that you’re still around to talk about it. And your sympathy is touching and appreciated.
    My father died in 2010 and he was 78. He went quickly which is how he was supposed to go...he was a true patriarch and took care of all three of his kids and his wife while he was alive and even after he passed. He would not have done well had he gotten some disease and convalesced for years.

The only thing that haunts me about his death is that I have heard aortic dissection is very painful. The ambulance driver said his last words to him were, “I’m not going to make it am I?” This indicates to me that he was in massive pain.

Having had it and lived through it I am curious to know if that was also your experience?

maybe if you feel like answering you can PM me.

sorry to put a dark spin on the thread everyone!

3. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

His family has done a lot for Aortic Dissection research and understanding, so I feel it's appropriate, although a bit dark for sure.

https://www.johnritterfoundation.org/ritter-rules

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It could be. Maybe the types of humor people find entertaining or bad runs in families. It seems like so many other things do. I read where a study found that political persuasion even runs in families. So, whether a person is left, right, center, or agnostic is genetic. Twins seem to have very similar tastes, too.

MikaelaArsenault and Drifter like this.
  5. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I would think that "Leave it to Beaver" belongs in that list too...

MikeInFla, troggy and EVOLVIST like this.
  6. Grand_Ennui

You make it sound like that'd be a bad thing...

Drifter likes this.
  7. Grand_Ennui

Personally, I think it still is...

Grant likes this.
  8. Grant

To him it probably is.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I would definitely consider Beaver and also The Andy Griffith Show as being two classic B&W shows that are still seen and remembered.

10. peteham

peteham Senior Member

In these parts, they are running it again - and I must say, a lot of it really holds up. Some great comic chops.

Grand_Ennui and MRamble like this.
  11. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Definitely Andy Griffith, which is arguably the #1 B&W show out there today. It probably still plays in more local markets than any of the rest.

Lee Davis and Vidiot like this.
  12. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

This show was always a favorite when I was younger. I held John Ritter in such high regard and thought he was hilarious. I’m am now finding out that this show is best in very small doses. It doesn’t hold up like I thought it would and there are so many episodes that are flat out terrible. It still has its moments, but I would not recommend trying to watch the entire series in chronological order. I think it’s best to randomly jump around and not watch too many episodes in a row.

I say all of this because I started watching from the beginning a few months ago. I am now on season 6, episode 116. It’s been a struggle to get through some of these, but I made it this far, there is no stopping me now!

BEAThoven and Dan C like this.
  13. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

One episode per year seems about right.

groundharp, Jimmy B., Dan C and 2 others like this.
  14. @Grant I'm almost done with Season 2.

The Ropers have gotten it on twice for sure.

S02ep21 - Jack and Larry both had sex prior to this episode, as both feared that they got their girlfriends pregnant. It wasn't even veiled in this case. The episode was clear that they both were screwing. This is also the episode where Mrs. Roper makes a quip about her masturbating, though this time the joke was veiled. Also, Mrs. Roper makes a veiled joke about Mr. Roper having a limp noodle.

What's up with this episode? It's one of the best, and it's also one of the most open. Perhaps it has a lot to do with which writer had more plot for the script. And also the show isn't exactly big on continuity, so that helps.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    SilkHammer likes this.
  15. Grant

Wait...which episode was that? I probably skipped past it. I'll go back and watch it if you can tell me.

16. S02ep22 - Jack drinks some homemade beer and they find some pot in the Roper's garden. Two really good ones in a row.

They seem to be going out with a bang to close the season.

Season 2. Episode 21. The name of the episodes is something like, "Will the Real Jack Tripper Stand Up..."

17. Grant

Yup, I skipped it.

18. I guess I feel compelled to post my Three's Company odyssey.

Season 3, Ep. 1 - Jack is kind of douchy in this one. He's never been that way before.

Janet was a turn off in Season 2. I think it was her hair, but now in Season 3 her doo is much better. Her hair is Season 1 was the best. So cute.

Anyway, Season 3 isn't off to a very good start.

I really enjoy the bloopers, as they give a great behind the scenes view of the show. The extras on the DVDs are well done.

jamesc likes this.
  19. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

There are 2 types of heterosexual men in this world.

Type 1: Mary Ann and Janet over Ginger and Chrissy

Type 2: the opposite.

(I'm Type 1, but I maybe jump the line for Priscilla Barnes, who was just smokin' in the early 80s!)

ted321 likes this.
  20. So, basically darker hair (brunettes) over lighter hair (blonde or red). Same as it ever was.

But since we are pining over females who were hella fine, once upon a time, I'll go with Audra Lindley in her prime:

Good god, Mrs. Roper smoked them all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Brooks was here.

vinnie likes this.
  22. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I think this is the case whenever I get the hankering to watch an old TV show from decades ago because of some sort of "nostalgia" pangs... I get hyped up and think, "This is going to be great to revisit all these episodes!" and then after about two or three, it's usually, "OK -- that's good... don't have to revisit that again...."

It's actually a little but depressing sometimes because it begs the question, "Was I actually 'missing' this show or just something/anything from my younger days?"

23. I heard the best zinger on Three's Company last night. I'm toward the end of Season 3.

Mrs. Roper: "Stanley, what would you do if you found me in bed with another man?"

Mr. Roper: "Nothing."

Mrs. Roper: "Stanley! What do you mean, 'nothing!?' You wouldn't do anything at all!?"

Mr. Roper: "Yeah, just like I said, Helen, 'nothing.' I mean, hasn't the poor fellow suffered enough?"

:laugh:

24. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

It's now my favorite show of all time, primarily because of Larry Hagman. And I've been binge-watching Three's Company on You Tube, where it's been on, then taken off, then on again, then taken off. I used to not like the last few seasons because I was resentful Chrissy was gone, but now I love all of it. I also interviewed Richard Kline many years ago when he did a play in Montreal-very soft-spoken guy.

jamesc and EVOLVIST like this.
  25. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Jack pretended to be gay so that the Ropers would allow him to live with two female roommates.

But then Jack deliberately blew up every (?) opportunity to... uh, “be with a woman”.

Otherwise, Regal Beagle seemed like a cool hangout

Joel1963 likes this.